U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 PM

85 posts, read 61,864 times

Advertisements

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I am arriving into SAN JOSE (SJC) airport at around 845pm on a domestic Continental airlines flight this FRIDAY.

I need to go to meet my chaps who live in SAN RAFAEL (Marin County). Apart from a one way rental, are there some public transport, or shuttle services to get there?

I can begin this trek on Friday evening itself, or stay in San Rafael till Saturday morning and then begin the trek.

I know I can take the MARIN AIRPORTER from San Francisco Airport, but how do I get to San Francisco airport from San Jose?

Is there some more direct way from San Jose to San Rafael?

Thanks to you lovely lads out there,
Andrew
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 PM

167 posts, read 131,126 times
Take the free shuttle from SJC to Diridion Train Station, then buy a ticket for Caltrain that goes to San Bruno, get off at San Bruno and transfer to the BART line that goes to SFO Airport.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 AM

85 posts, read 61,864 times
Alo SFBAguy,

Is there no easier way to get there? No shuttle service that goes to SF airport?

I have some luggage so these multiple changes would seem like a pain

Thanks
Andre

Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 AM

6,868 posts, read 16,981,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmillichamp View Post
Alo SFBAguy,

Is there no easier way to get there? No shuttle service that goes to SF airport?

I have some luggage so these multiple changes would seem like a pain

Thanks
Andre
You need to appreciate that this is a 70 mile trip in an area that has no unified public transit. Marin County was stubborn and didn't want BART, and we don't have a high speed network in place because of political problems. I wish it was better, but this is the hand we are dealt. I would recommend to you rent a car, take I-880 south to I-280 north, and enjoy the beautiful drive through the hills. Then connect to 1/19th Ave north to the Golden Gate and San Rafael. As late as you're arriving, you might not even be able to make all the connections in time otherwise. Westbound flights are routinely delayed due to wind patterns.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,833,871 times
What's the benefit to either airport to make it easy for you to move between them? They're in competition with each other for fares, not cooperation.

Anyways, San Jose airport is set up for passengers destined to/from the Peninsula/San Jose/areas south.
Marin County is serviced by Oakland and SFO, there's no infrastructure in place to make that trip easy.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,466,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmillichamp View Post
Alo SFBAguy,

You could take a shuttle direct to Marin.

Mineta San Josť International/Silicon Valley Airport - Traveler Information | Ground Transportation | Door-to-Door Shuttles (http://www.flysanjose.com/travelers.php?page=ground_trans/d2d&subtitle=Ground+Transportation+|+Door-to-Door+Shuttles - broken link)

Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 PM

14,572 posts, read 12,503,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
You could take a shuttle direct to Marin.

Mineta San Josť International/Silicon Valley Airport - Traveler Information | Ground Transportation | Door-to-Door Shuttles (http://www.flysanjose.com/travelers.php?page=ground_trans/d2d&subtitle=Ground+Transportation+|+Door-to-Door+Shuttles - broken link)

But I wonder if any of these shuttles would actually go as far as Marin???? As mentioned, I would think most people in Marin would use SFO or Oakland airports.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 PM

59 posts, read 76,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
What's the benefit to either airport to make it easy for you to move between them?
Not only there no benefit to either airport, there is no benefit to anybody. Car rentals is an easy, more comfortable, and even cheaper option. A full-size rental for a day would cost half of a single taxi ride from one airport to the other. So it's only natural that nobody tries to come up with a solution when there is no problem.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:46 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,307,671 times
Just rent a car unless you want to be on the road all day, schlepping your luggage from point to point . . . it is not a bad drive. It is a straight shot from SJ to SF, then over the bridge and you are in Marin. Not difficult.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,466,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8west View Post
Car rentals is an easy, more comfortable, and even cheaper option.
For most people car rentals are the easiest however it sounded like the OP is from the UK and is probably used to driving on the other side of the road. I have been to London and I would not want to rent a car there and drive on the left side of the road.

The previously mentioned shuttles will get you there directly at great cost.
The cheapest and slowest option is to get to downtown SF via Bart from SFO and then take the Golden Gate Transit 101 bus to San Rafael. This is inconvenient with heavy luggage.

To San Rafael - Northbound (WEEKDAYS EXCEPT HOLIDAYS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose