Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:06 AM

57 posts, read 214,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcoming grad View Post
I see Chestnut Street and Cypress Point Apartments both accept dogs, at a price. Any thoughts about these two? I see their not cheap, but are there any issues with either complex?

I would love to find a private residence with a separate apartment.
I lived at the Cypress Point apartments for two years (2002-2003) when I was a UCSC student. It was a great apartment at a great location. The management was nice and helpful when I was there, though I'm not sure what it's like now.

The bus stop on Laurel has many bus lines that went straight to campus (which is a HUGE plus). I remember a bus to campus passing by every 10-15 minutes. It's also within walking distance to downtown and the beach, plus it boarders Neary Lagoon (which is a nice quiet spot to visit).

The downside is the price, as you observed. However, it's expensive everywhere in Santa Cruz! To save on costs, I rented a one bedroom apartment with a roommate. Since we both shared a dorm on campus our first year, it actually turned out to be a much better deal for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 15,606 times
I am going to fly in from Indiana the end of June to see what is available. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and be able to find an apartment. Obviously if I look on Craigslist now, they are renting apartments for April and May...It's still a little too early and I just can't drive by! Yes, I am looking for something that is on the bus route to UCSC and downtown walkable. I will have a roommate come January, 2013, so that will help. Are their any reputable real estate or property management companies that I can call to set up appointments to look at properties? Sometimes they have insight on upcoming openings. Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
I am going to fly in from Indiana the end of June to see what is available. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and be able to find an apartment. Obviously if I look on Craigslist now, they are renting apartments for April and May...It's still a little too early and I just can't drive by! Yes, I am looking for something that is on the bus route to UCSC and downtown walkable. I will have a roommate come January, 2013, so that will help. Are their any reputable real estate or property management companies that I can call to set up appointments to look at properties? Sometimes they have insight on upcoming openings. Any thoughts?
That's really good that you're coming into town before you make a move to Santa Cruz.
You can try a property management company. It certainly would make things easier for you.
You can also contact UCSC to see if they have any services for housing issues or listings that are only available to students.
I've lived in other college towns that have that kind of service and that have listings as well.
I don't who's reputable and who's not but i imagine that a co. like the one i provided a link to below is a safe way to go but i just don't know.

Santa Cruz Property Management - Housing, rental, landlord services for Santa Cruz and Santa Clara Counties

Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
You may have missed it, but in a previous post I mentioned that UCSC has a housing office that lists rentals specifically for UCSC students and staff. That's where I went to find my first place off campus.

UC Santa Cruz - Community Rentals Home Page

Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I found the housing for UCSC students, but I can't seem to access it yet. I have to call tomorrow to see why it isn't working. Thanks to all for the information. If anyone see's a for rent sign in a window, please let me know!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM

155 posts, read 274,702 times
Default S Cruz housing

WhenI was a UCSC student in the 60's a couple of friends of mine solved the housing problem by building a cabin in the woods behind Crown. They went undetected for a few months.

Hwy 9 comes down to UCSC. There is actually a trail leading up to UCSC from Hwy 9 about half way down from Felton. Felton would probably offer some (relative) bargains. Mt Hermon at the S Cruz end of Felton is a possibility. Zayante Rd goes up to Lompico from Mt Hermon. Should be a (relatively) low rent area. Pretty much straight residential though.

There is Davenport up Hwy 1 north of UCSC a few miles. No commute problems. Bonny Doon is off Hwy 1 between Davenport and S Cruz. This road is the back entrance to UCSC.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrooks View Post
WhenI was a UCSC student in the 60's a couple of friends of mine solved the housing problem by building a cabin in the woods behind Crown. They went undetected for a few months.

Hwy 9 comes down to UCSC. There is actually a trail leading up to UCSC from Hwy 9 about half way down from Felton. Felton would probably offer some (relative) bargains. Mt Hermon at the S Cruz end of Felton is a possibility. Zayante Rd goes up to Lompico from Mt Hermon. Should be a (relatively) low rent area. Pretty much straight residential though.

There is Davenport up Hwy 1 north of UCSC a few miles. No commute problems. Bonny Doon is off Hwy 1 between Davenport and S Cruz. This road is the back entrance to UCSC.
Highway 9 does NOT come down to UCSC; However, Empire Grade does. True, there is a trail that leads to UCSC, but I wouldn't recommend it as a commute route .

I lived in Brookdale for three months when I was a student at UCSC and they were my worst three months in college. It's definitely beautiful back there, but you better own a car if you choose to live off Highway 9! It took about 90 minutes to reach campus by bus! This advice would apply to Davenport as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
Highway 9 does NOT come down to UCSC; However, Empire Grade does. True, there is a trail that leads to UCSC, but I wouldn't recommend it as a commute route .

I lived in Brookdale for three months when I was a student at UCSC and they were my worst three months in college. It's definitely beautiful back there, but you better own a car if you choose to live off Highway 9! It took about 90 minutes to reach campus by bus! This advice would apply to Davenport as well.
And, though it can be easier to find a less expensive rental, it's pretty comparable now to the rest of the county. Things have changed a lot since the 60's
And though you may save a little in rent you'll pay in other ways ... like commuting and heating a cold place in the redwoods.
And the redwoods are definitely heavenly (to me anyway) but if a person doesn't like cold, dark and damp they can be a real challenge to live amongst in the winter months.
I lived in a place where there was not one ray of sun for months.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Thoughts on Apartment Complexes

Does anyone have insight on these Apartment Complexes? Good and Bad and bus route accesses?

Hiawatha Apartments
Chestnut Street Apartments
Breakwater Apartments

Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM

155 posts, read 274,702 times
[quote=jonh23;23714835]Highway 9 does NOT come down to UCSC; However, Empire Grade does. True, there is a trail that leads to UCSC, but I wouldn't recommend it as a commute route .

quote]

This harsh capitalized reply to my post frankly pisses me off. I consider myself an EXPERT on SC, so to be confronted by some anonymous smartass in this way is unacceptable. I didn't say Hwy 9 lead up to the front gate of UCSC! But it not only leads to the trail to UCSC but it comes out at the foot of the short end-piece of freeway that leads directly up to High Street, which is practically the driveway to UCSC. My expert credentials are my presence there spanning the old SC and the new--growing up there in the 50's and going to college for 5 years in the 60's. Read my descriptions of SC on the SC Hippy Project--Ralph Abraham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose