Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:00 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved down from the city a couple years ago, mainly to be closer to my job. We love the weather down here, the outdoor activities, the plethora of great restaurants (a rarity for a suburban area), the job opportunities, etc.

The only drawback is that it has been exceptionally difficult for me to meet new friends. I'm in my mid-30s and married, with no kids. Most of my co-workers are family centric and don't socialize much outside of work. I'm definitely not religious, so I wouldn't be intrigued by church events. I find that as a white male, I may be at a disadvantage for making new friends here (I'm not racist, but I do find that most Asians/Indians I've met here mainly hang out with their own groups). I like outdoor activities and keeping fit but am not really into team sports. I've heard volunteering can be great to meet friends. I'm a little involved in volunteer activities and do enjoy giving back, but haven't met any friends that way. I also heard that most people in the Silicon Valley make friends through their kids. I'm sure we'll have that in a couple years, but we're not there yet.

My wife and I have gone to some social events through mutual contacts as well as things such as MeetUp. Every time we meet someone cool, we exchange numbers, but when we follow up, it seems that they are so busy with work that we never really establish a friendship.

I should also say that I had some friends here from grad school, but they relocated after being here for a couple years, due to the high cost of living.

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
It's kind of tough. We moved here last year from Colorado. We're about the same age as you. We have a few friends, but one of them is a couple with a young kid and the kid always has to go along when we get together and it always interrupting and whining and stuff. So I guess couples with kids aren't real compatible to couples without kids.

I wouldn't mind being friends with some of the East Indians because they always seem to have so much fun when you see them hanging out together, but like you said they almost never hang out with any other groups.

The problem with meetup is I think the people just want to use it for planned activities, but not for being friends.

If you find a cool way to meet some friends, let me know.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Maybe a city-data Silicon Valley meetup? Haha.

Seriously, I think I need to put myself out there a lot more than I've been doing. It seems that here, people met their friends one of two ways:

1. Went to school together - Be it growing up here or going to college/grad school here or relocating here together
2. Work together

In general, I've lived in other places and I do think people here are more cliquish and less interested in meeting friends outside of their circles.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I'm surprised no one has talked about neighbors. Do you know yours, and are they outgoing and friendly? Most of the friends I made were neighbors or friends of friends. If you don't know your neighbors maybe introducing yourself and inviting them somewhere might help.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,494 times
My husband and I are in the same boat you and your wife are. We have lived here 5 years and have not made any real connections. It's really bad, I've been a little depressed over it and now we are putting effort into moving back down to southern california even though I will probably make a lot less money it's worth it to me. I need to feel apart of something community or friends anything plus I want to be able to own a house and out here it just seems impossible. I have a few work friends but they are only that work friends. I hope it works out for you and your wife. As for my husband and I we give up. We can't get out of here fast enough.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
My husband and I are in the same boat you and your wife are. We have lived here 5 years and have not made any real connections. It's really bad, I've been a little depressed over it and now we are putting effort into moving back down to southern california even though I will probably make a lot less money it's worth it to me. I need to feel apart of something community or friends anything plus I want to be able to own a house and out here it just seems impossible. I have a few work friends but they are only that work friends. I hope it works out for you and your wife. As for my husband and I we give up. We can't get out of here fast enough.
Yeah, can't say that I blame you. However, our families are mainly in NorCal, so we do have more ties here. We've been fortunate enough to have good jobs to able to afford to buy pretty nice place to live. What is frustrating to me is that this area hits the mark for me on so many other levels, but not in terms of social connections. I have lived in both San Diego and Phoenix and found it much easier to make connections there. I have tried to meet neighbors. Some are cool and others are anti-social. The cool ones I'll see by the pool and chat with from time to time when taking the dog for walks, but it seems like our busy schedules get in the way of really becoming good friends.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
SV is much like Manhattan...lots of workaholics; in SV, tech and finance (VCs, HFs, and PE) dominate both careers and social relationships; and in Manhattan it's all finance (HF and PE)

Only friends, if any, are found amongst one's colleagues...who are often those who attended same colleges and/or worked at same major employers post-grad...in either SV/NYC, people have same small circle of friends drawn from those early yrs of career, rather than random mtgs in other settings (though some do meet others from industry through kids at their schools, since most of certain socio-economics self-segregate to same 2-3 suburbs)

And even among Indians have observed more educated, more successful ones are less "ethnic" in their choice of suburbs/social pals, perhaps b/c they are often Stanford/Berkeley alums and top engineering ranks of any major tech co. are hardly monolithic...

Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 AM

926 posts, read 978,405 times
recently moved here i am about 30, next after next weekend, i am going to capitola beach for some photo shoot up with online game buddy i havent met yet. ). kinda feeling hesitated coz i am night owl and he wants to shoot sunrise i am more inclined to shoot sunset. if u wanna join us we can meet there ))

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,415 times
Check out Meetup.com. Social gatherings with people of similar interests in your area.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Yeah, have done a few meetup events. They seem to be more geared towards singles, but I would consider going to more of these.

Agreed about people being ultra-focused on what school others attending. It seems that many of these folks only want to hang out with others if they went to Cal/Stanford/Ivys. I went to very good state schools and have comparable jobs, but I guess I'm not as good as they are. WTF????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose