U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 PM

3,000 posts, read 2,257,952 times

Advertisements

Mysticaltyger told it like it is.

I have a fireman for a neighbor and he is quite smug about how he should get more than common people. My girlfriend did volunteer work for S.J. and complained that the regular employees would sleep at their desk while she did their work. Hopefully, our mayor has cleaned up the mess he inherited.

I have lived here for over 20 years and this area has changed. Some of my favorite places to shop have been pushed out of business and many good neighbors have move on to other affordable places. If you drive down DeAnza Blvd. you won't recognize it anymore. The shopping center near the HP campus on Wolfe Rd. no longer has the Bread of Life store, and the Whole Foods that replaced them has also moved on.

Yes, our weather is great and I love to take the train to the City for a day trip, but overall, I see a decline in the quality of life. When my husband retires, with regret, we plan to leave what was once a wonderful area.

Most of my neighbors send their children to private schools as public schools are a joke. Health care has also been compromised as second tier doctors are hired more often than not. Our Kaiser health care has increased to the point that we don't go if at all possible.

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but I'm telling you the way it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,135,712 times
It would not be wise to give up your life in Washington to start all over again in San Jose. The place is unaffordable. 15 years is a long time. You would be worse off if you came back.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM

94 posts, read 159,399 times
The cost of living is sky high. Recent dotcom IPOs have increased the average selling price for a house in Palo Alto 50% in six months. Silicon Valley renters in San Francisco are bidding up rental apartments $200-$300 per month over the asking price. I've seen 1 bedroom San Jose apartments that were going for $1,400 a year ago go for $1,800 to $1,900 now.

You will likely be able to find work as a Microsoft instructor or IT consultant, but I don't think this is the time to move here. Wait until the the latest dotcom bubble bursts and housing and rental prices come down.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM

76 posts, read 181,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabeck1960 View Post
I moved from San Jose about 15 years ago to central Washington state. I have dreamed of going back "home" for almost the whole 15 years. I just found this forum and love the pictures.
My golly, I am flattered.

Quote:
I guess I just want to hear from other people who love the bay area. I have missed it so much. Has it changed horribly in 15 years?
1) Downtown SJ saw a huge billion dollar investment in redevelopment. It's completely different than what it was 15 years ago. Beautiful, clean, and charming urban feel.

2) Housing prices are ugly now. I feel that this is a huge barrier to your decision.

3) Yes, the police force has been cut down, but I don't think its effects are that bad. I still think SJPD is a superb agency as it is today.

On Friday, I placed a 911 call for a 4-car collision involving two overturned vehicles, some of which had veered off 101 from the freeway and onto a surface street I was standing on. Since 911 reaches the CHP, all I got was a busy signal. Not the thing you want to hear in a life and death situation. So I dialed SJPD's 7-digit emergency number for mobile phones and they took down all the details (I had the advantage of relaying details as I was standing on the surface street peering into the cars). Did some traffic control until a unit came out within 3 minutes and took over.

4) Library hours suck. I don't know if this concerns you or not but the budget crisis really took a bite out of the hours. I think it's necessary for this to end the crisis so if it's closed Monday, I simply go the next day.

5) We're still one of the safest cities in America. And we're nothing like *ahem*Oakland.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM

3,000 posts, read 2,257,952 times
The libaries are closed on certain days but there are so many small S.J. libraries that their closed days are rotated. Actually, I think it was a waste of money to spend tax dollars building many small libraries so close to each other so I really don't mind going to one or the other on alternating days.

The Saratoga library has a great support system and is open more days than the smaller SJ libraries.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,834 times
Wow. Thank you all for the feedback. It doesn't sound like anyone really thinks it's a good idea to try to move back. I've been mulling this over, and I am going to take the advice of a good friend who said, "when in doubt, do nothing until you are sure about the decision".. so I'm staying put for now. My daughter, however, is going to move down there - she's 20 and has a lot more flexibility than I do and much less debt! So, I will visit her! I'll keep an eye on this forum, though, and maybe one day if circumstances here change, I will go back. But, for now, I'm here. Thank you again for taking the time to give me your opinions. It really has helped me!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,325 times
Quote:
I moved from San Jose about 15 years ago to central Washington state. I have dreamed of going back "home" for almost the whole 15 years. I just found this forum and love the pictures.

I"m nervous about the move. I have a place to live for about $1,000 a month - the same place I lived 15 years ago. I love that area. I lived between 237 and Tasman.

My only fear is employment. I am a certified Microsoft instructor. I also have a business as a virtual real estate assistant. I would love to work the VA business full time from home. I'm 50 - no college degree - just many years of experience as a software instructor and have run my own VA business for the past 20 years (mostly on the side, but occasionally full time).

I'm not sure what I'm asking here. I guess I just want to hear from other people who love the bay area. I have missed it so much. Has it changed horribly in 15 years? I visited there about 7 years ago and it had grown - the big mall .. wow I got lost driving around. But, other than the expected growth, is it still a nice place to live?

I'm leaving home ownership, a steady, well-paying job (for this area in Wa.) at a utility company just because I want to go back home. Am I nuts?

Well, my best advice?

Visit. Take a vacation.

I'm currently living in the PacNW and visited San Jose.

IT HAS CHANGED.

Moved up to this area in 2007 and it is such a stark contrast from living in the Bay Area.

San Jose has NO greenery and their trees are dying and it's terrible pollution. There are terrible crowds in the mall and the stores. Aggressivenes and unhappiness seems to have certainly increased...

YET...

It's also creepy because I can tell a ton of people have left the area and so you have this massive highways with little traffic (this was labor day weekend, mind you, and I had no problems getting in and around the city ALL WEEKEND. NEVER DEALT WITH TRAFFIC).

I hear you about wanting to go "back home," but...trust me, that ain't home anymore.

Not sure how to fix how you feel (although if you do find a "cure" for the
"Californian-restless-in-PacificNorthwest" syndrom, let me know), but moving back won't be it.

But you should visit. It will be worth it. Visit soon; it will help you at least move on from "going back home."

My recent vacation certainly did it for me.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM

954 posts, read 666,634 times
People have left? Then why is our population increasing?

No greenery? Lots of trees in my neighborhood...

Hmmmm... No traffic? I'm in rush hour all the time...

Old 09-07-2011, 12:51 AM

157 posts, read 229,032 times
I'll take rush hour in SJ over rush hour in LA any day of the week and twice on Mondays.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 AM

14,640 posts, read 12,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyj123 View Post
You should have seen what it was like in the 90s. Crime rate was higher, and the population was smaller.
The murder rate is on track to be double what it was in 2010. We're headed back to the 1990s crime rate in 2011 (at least for homicide). We've had a large reduction in the City of SJ's work force since that time, despite a larger population. Yes, some of that was due to automation and efficiency gains. But not all of it. The effects of the cuts are showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose