Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 PM

43 posts, read 104,269 times

Advertisements

San Jose is in the Bay Area. If someone from San Francisco doesn't think it is then its because they're stupid. Or, more likely, they grew up in [insert random state] and don't know anything about the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,383,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainovation View Post
San Jose is in the Bay Area. If someone from San Francisco doesn't think it is then its because they're stupid. Or, more likely, they grew up in [insert random state] and don't know anything about the Bay Area.
I call it the "Sex and the City West wannabe" syndrome. Picture the new grad, living with lots of room mates in Pacific Heights or the Marina ... like omigod! ... you get the picture ...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,340,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I call it the "Sex and the City West wannabe" syndrome. Picture the new grad, living with lots of room mates in Pacific Heights or the Marina ... like omigod! ... you get the picture ...
Haha, so I'm not the only person who references that show when describing the modern SF attitude toward virtually everything?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 PM

4,314 posts, read 6,274,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Haha, so I'm not the only person who references that show when describing the modern SF attitude toward virtually everything?
Its not just the attitude towards the rest of the bay area. It is how people in the Marina, Cow Hollow and Pac Heights view even the other parts of the city. Other than taking the bus to work in the Financial District, they won't venture to places even like SOMA and they can't understand why others wouldn't choose to live in their small hoods. Pretty ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
So true. One of my friends was telling me that she was thinking of moving to "San Francisco"...and then she tells me about a bunch of neighborhoods in Oakland that she was specifically looking at.
I've had that happen. People from Socal especially do that. Here, you live in San Diego regardless of what your actual city is. It's the same for LA. In my whole life of knowing people from LA I think only two actually were from the city of Los Angeles.

BTW OP, Silicon Valley is a nickname. The areas real/original name is Santa Clara Valley.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainovation View Post
Exactly, the Bay Area is a large and diverse place with each region having a very distinct feel and culture but still belong to the same region.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,138,174 times
San Jose has bay frontage. Ergo, it is indisputably part of the Bay Area, even if you don't choose to include the South Valley (I do, for many reasons).

Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM

21,525 posts, read 8,709,214 times
I am a long-time San Franciscan who grew up in Santa Clara Valley and I can tell you that San Jose is, and always has been, part of the Bay Area. I've never heard of this so-called San Francisco "attitude."

Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,390,955 times
The Bay Area is like Southern California in that there are multiple centers of gravity (San Francisco, East Bay, Peninusla, Silicon Valley) while in SoCal there is LA, Orange County, and San Diego.

Of course, usually there is one city that "dominates" overall. It used to be San Fransisco for the Bay Area, but nowadays the Silicon Valley is in some ways MORE influential.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,832,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I am a long-time San Franciscan who grew up in Santa Clara Valley and I can tell you that San Jose is, and always has been, part of the Bay Area. I've never heard of this so-called San Francisco "attitude."
No? We've heard it...many times. They're called 1) Tourists; 2) SF residents; 3) bloggers with their heads up their ass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose