U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:50 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,047,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70 View Post
The main reason for relocating is work... my husband has an offer at basically his dream job so that is huge. The weather doesn't hurt either The cost of living thing is really throwing me off... it is huge! I don't dislike the Chicago area, in fact I love it here. I am not a huge fan of the gloomy winters, but I survive them and actually like the snow. We love Chicago's downtown too.

The reason I felt it wasn't a very renter friendly culture is that most people I called or emailed with homes for rent never called back, and most owners do not seem to like dogs and cats. I had never heard of a pet resume until looking into relocating to San Jose!
Let me put it as bluntly as possible. In return for a dream job for your spouse, are you and family willing to undergo a significant lowering of your general level of disposable income and hence comfort (weather notwithstanding). Also, are you willing to have an overall poorer educational experience. It's pretty much down to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 4,755 times
Would a salary of 135 yearly (plus bonus) be doable for us to live comfortably?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,047,221 times
135 would put you in a very modest property in a solid upper middle class community or in a nicer property in a more salt of the earth area. Generally the former will have the better schools and the latter, not so much. The premium communities (and the better properties in the solid upper middle areas) would still be out of reach.

There are houses in SW Sunnyvale in the ~ 1M range, typically about 1600 sq. ft, 3/2/2, etc, postage stamp yard. The types of houses found in upper middle areas around Chicagoland cost multi millions here.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,836,890 times
Quote:
Would a salary of 135 yearly (plus bonus) be doable for us to live comfortably?
Yes - assuming you give up the idea of home ownership. Frankly, with the cost of buying versus renting here, you're generally better off renting in many circumstances. Do the math for yourself, but putting out downpayment and the higher mortgage payments into moderately conservative investments so far have put us ahead of the game.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 6,887,334 times
Maybe look into Fremont, the schools have a good reputation and I think you can get homes there for around $400-500 that would be more like 800k to a million in the heart of Silicon Valley. It really depends on where your husband is commuting to though, Fremont is a little out of the way but it's ok if you're going to Palo Alto over the bridge or maybe eastern San Jose.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM

3,901 posts, read 5,305,859 times
Quote:

The reason I felt it wasn't a very renter friendly culture is that most people I called or emailed with homes for rent never called back
Actually this means that the rental market here is a fast paced business. They probably already have too many people on the list to consider spending time talking with out-of-towners. But if you keep trying, you'll get in contact with someone.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM

160 posts, read 239,537 times
I am a Campbell gal and I love it. A$100k/year makes for a comfortable living and with that income you are better off buying cause you'll need the write off and rents are so high anyway you may as well buy. With historically low interest and property values vs the competition on rents, when you look at property on zillow these days it's very common to see mtg payments are lower than rental rates.

Schools are good, downtown is cute and the creek trail makes for a fun run in the sun.
Besides, you won't "miss" 25% of the year hiding inside because the weather is intolerable! Jump in! The water is fine!

Search Campbell - zip is 95008

Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM

798 posts, read 818,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahOwen View Post
I am a Campbell gal and I love it. A$100k/year makes for a comfortable living and with that income you are better off buying cause you'll need the write off and rents are so high anyway you may as well buy. With historically low interest and property values vs the competition on rents, when you look at property on zillow these days it's very common to see mtg payments are lower than rental rates.

Schools are good, downtown is cute and the creek trail makes for a fun run in the sun.
Besides, you won't "miss" 25% of the year hiding inside because the weather is intolerable! Jump in! The water is fine!

Search Campbell - zip is 95008
Whatever you do DO NOT buy (as the Realtor mentions above) when you first make the move! This area is so different from other areas and you need to really experience it before making a commitment like that. Plus $135K is going to be VERY tight especially for a family your size. You will find that the schools do not offer as much in regards to sports, arts and music as compared to other areas so make sure you budget for those activities for your children. Should you decide to go to work (most families do have dual incomes so they can afford to live here) daycare is very expensive. And REALLY think about your quality of life especially since you have children. Is it REALLY worth it??? We found, after too many years, that our quality of life was seriously affected and moved far away so we can actually enjoy life.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,154,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Maybe look into Fremont, the schools have a good reputation and I think you can get homes there for around $400-500 that would be more like 800k to a million in the heart of Silicon Valley. It really depends on where your husband is commuting to though, Fremont is a little out of the way but it's ok if you're going to Palo Alto over the bridge or maybe eastern San Jose.
$400-500k won't get you much in Fremont either. You'll be lucky to be in a decent condo or townhouse. Fremont as a whole may be slightly cheaper than many South Bay locations, unless you look in the 94539 zip code (Mission San Jose/Warm Springs) which is one of the more expensive zip codes in the Bay Area and has one of the highest median household incomes in the state.

I have found that rents tend to be cheaper in the Fremont area vs. the South Bay but the price to buy is very similar.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM

2,985 posts, read 2,240,274 times
Who would want to buy at this time when we don't know whether the bottom is even in sight? There is no rush to buy as the experts now claim it will be ten years before the market recovers. Also, you don't know whether your husband will even like his new company or how stable they are in this economy. Many people have moved here just to watch their job vaporize so get your footing first and decide where in the area you would like to live. The cost of living in San Jose is over 160% and in Palo Alto is 200%! Many people are leaving or planning to leave because of the high cost of living and taxes on top taxes for reduced services. San Jose has a great mayor who is acting responsibily but he still can't create money where there is none, so it must come from reductions in services to the public. Also, be sure to read other threads on this subject, and there are many, so can get a good feel for what it is like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose