U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM

6,979 posts, read 5,169,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I did enjoy the low key Frontier Village amusement park my first few years in San Jose which was closer to our home and less expensive than Great America in Santa Clara. It had a more rural, relaxed feel to it than G.A., which is surrounded by office parks...a perfect place for company picnics and my Dad's company had an enjoyable time there on two occasions. It closed sometime in the late 70's as I recall.
Where there once was this:

There are little birdhouse replicas of the past:

But the Hayes Mansion is still next door:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM

There is also a very nice library, opened a few years ago, across the street:

Unread 02-05-2013, 11:56 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,362,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I did enjoy the low key Frontier Village amusement park my first few years in San Jose which was closer to our home and less expensive than Great America in Santa Clara. It had a more rural, relaxed feel to it than G.A., which is surrounded by office parks...a perfect place for company picnics and my Dad's company had an enjoyable time there on two occasions. It closed sometime in the late 70's as I recall.
I loved Frontier Village as a kid, remember fishing at the trout pond. I think it's now a bunch of condos.

Unread 02-06-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Interesting. What about West San Jose? My mom and her parents lived in Cupertino in the 1970s, btw.
Can't say too much about West San Jose, but I can about Cupertino.

At the corner of Stevens Creek Blvd. and De Anza Blvd (Sunnyvale-Saratoga Road), there was a big cement quarry. There's a hotel (The Cypress) and an Armadillo Willy's BBQ restaurant there today.

Also, around Mariani Avenue there were a lot of fruit trees - now the headquarters of Apple.

Unread 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM

45,993 posts, read 34,764,774 times
not over crowded in the 60s, cheaper housing than anywhere in Marin County or the towns just barely south of San Francisco, but no one really wanted to live there and commute to San Francisso. I don't remember anyone even thinking of San Jose as being part of the bay area...We lived in Marin County from 1965 til 70, hubby worked in San Francisco. San Jose seemed more like a rural area with a small state college.

Unread 02-07-2013, 08:27 PM

846 posts, read 1,348,478 times
In the history of San Jose 85 and 87 as highways are fairly new, I have no idea what the commute from Almaden Valley to Palo Alto or Mountain View or Sunnyvale would be like without those roads, it is not very fast now. For now Sunnyvale seems to be around the limit of the favorable areas for companies to move to in Silicon Valley, and Santa Clara is coming up now, I imagine if Silicon Valley keeps growing Downtown SJ might start attracting start ups in 5-10 years. More employers further south and east into the valley would make it easier to find jobs close to home, but probably attract even more people to the area. Since Coyote Valley is off limits I imagine we will not be growing south anymore. If the trend continues Berryessa might be a good place to put offices there (which we would probably need for BART to get enough use to not need another BART tax).

Unread 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 910,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
I've read that San Jose in the 1960s was expanding so rapidly, that the city's street maps could not be updated fast enough to keep up with the changing configuration of the city!

Anyone here who was in San Jose in the 60s, can you share some history about what it was like then?

EDIT: Please move to the San Jose forum.
i lived in palo alto in the 60's and don't remember a heck of a lot going on in san jose. it was mostly hispanic. my mother would drive to san jose to buy masa and it was a rather long drive then, lol. houses in palo alto were $30k (ours was anyway. and sold around 1970 for the same price!) eichlers were around 50k. lots or orchards and greenhouses all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Where there once was this:

There are little birdhouse replicas of the past:

But the Hayes Mansion is still next door:
mat, is that you?

Unread 02-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post

mat, is that you?
Nope. Hazmat, maybe.

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 14,972,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
In the history of San Jose 85 and 87 as highways are fairly new, I have no idea what the commute from Almaden Valley to Palo Alto or Mountain View or Sunnyvale would be like without those roads, it is not very fast now. For now Sunnyvale seems to be around the limit of the favorable areas for companies to move to in Silicon Valley, and Santa Clara is coming up now, I imagine if Silicon Valley keeps growing Downtown SJ might start attracting start ups in 5-10 years. More employers further south and east into the valley would make it easier to find jobs close to home, but probably attract even more people to the area. Since Coyote Valley is off limits I imagine we will not be growing south anymore. If the trend continues Berryessa might be a good place to put offices there (which we would probably need for BART to get enough use to not need another BART tax).
Never mind 85 - in 1960, even I-280 was just a proposal. Commuting from the West Valley meant using Route 17 (which was still city streets) and connecting to the Bayshore Freeway, so it generally wasn't done. It was all orchards down there anyway, what did you need to go to Palo Alto for?

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Never mind 85 - in 1960, even I-280 was just a proposal. Commuting from the West Valley meant using Route 17 (which was still city streets) and connecting to the Bayshore Freeway, so it generally wasn't done. It was all orchards down there anyway, what did you need to go to Palo Alto for?
let me add that 101 south of Tully Road wasn't freeway yet in the early 1960s. My dad worked at IBM, now Hitachi GST, in South San Jose back then while living in Palo Alto and said the commute was pretty long because they hadn't built the freeway back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose