U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM

875 posts, read 470,719 times

Advertisements

Wow, someone resurrected this thread!

Thanks for the info everybody, interesting posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 AM

691 posts, read 463,856 times
Resurrecting it once again.

I have memories of San Jose and the South Bay when my parents would drive down to see my aunt. First, my grandmother lived in Mountain View off of Sterlin Road which has been renamed Shorline for many years now. There used to be a drive-in movie called the Moffet right off the freeway in Mountain View

As for San Jose I vividly remember in the late 70's seeing the 101/280/680 interchange being unfinished what seemed like years. It was like there was a shortage of funding during the project or something of that nature because for a while I didn't see crews working on it. The reason I say this is I remember a flyover ramp that just stopped in mid air and remained that way for quite a long time (there was an abandoned car hanging on the edge of where the ramp stopped for months..LOL!). I was quite young at the time but do remember those images. If anybody out there can elaborate what was the deal with the delays in the interchange being completed please let me know.

Hwy 101 was two lanes each way up until the mid 80's going past the Santa Clara St./Alum Rock Exit. Also remember somewhere around Blossom Hill hwy 101 used to be Monterey Rd going south toward Gilroy. It was two lanes each way but there was no physical divider, just a double yellow painted line as the median. I remember fruit stands off the side of Monterey Rd. as well.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:55 PM

12,653 posts, read 8,896,938 times
Year's ago we often drove to San Jose & the Bay area on 101 north, from Monterey area. I remember after driving past Morgan Hill, seeing the "Parkway Fishing Lakes' on the left. Folks appeared to be having FUN...

NorCal Fishing News: Parkway Lake announces closure

Sometimes we spent the day at "Marriott's Great America" or "Marine Land". We had Loads of FUN...

Used to go to the "Circle Star Theatre", (saw "Cheech & Chong", etc), had dinner at the FarmHouse.

Great Memories...

Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM

7,962 posts, read 9,833,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
w.

Hwy 101 was two lanes each way up until the mid 80's going past the Santa Clara St./Alum Rock Exit. Also remember somewhere around Blossom Hill hwy 101 used to be Monterey Rd going south toward Gilroy. It was two lanes each way but there was no physical divider, just a double yellow painted line as the median. I remember fruit stands off the side of Monterey Rd. as well.
AKA "Blood Alley."

Old 06-11-2013, 12:26 AM

7,986 posts, read 9,618,947 times
My family moved to Los Gatos from Oregon in 1965 and bought a new 4 bedroom house for about $21,000. I started elementary school there in the late 60s and I remember that my class was all white kids except for one mixed race Asian/White girl (for whom I had an early crush).
We moved East in 1974 and never went back. I now work for a Valley company but not in the Valley and go back occasionally. It's fun to see what has and what hasn't changed in all those years.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 AM

7,290 posts, read 5,155,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You could buy Eichlers in Willow Glen for $30k and the traffic was about a tenth of what is it now. Can't remember much else.
What is your source of this? I am not familiar with Eichlers in Willow Glen - and if there were any, they would have been much cheaper than that in the 60's.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM

2,844 posts, read 1,881,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What is your source of this? I am not familiar with Eichlers in Willow Glen - and if there were any, they would have been much cheaper than that in the 60's.
The Eichlers are actually in the Fairglen neighborhood, which is right by St. Christopher's Catholic Church, just south of Curtner Avenue. It's not actually in what we think of central Willow Glen around Lincoln Avenue, Willow Street and Minnesota Avenue.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM

3,185 posts, read 1,977,862 times
Eichler built from basic models, to luxury models and were not all low priced. Eichlers in the '60s cost from $18,000 to about $40,000+ depending on the model and where the subdivision was located.

We bought our first home in Cupertino in 1956 for $13,750. Stephens Creek was the road out there, and only a 2 lane road through the Orchards into the 60s.

A friend of mine bought an orchard on the SW corner of Stephens Creek Road, and Winchester road on the G.I. bill when he got out after WWII. He soon realized he was not a farmer, and as no one wanted to buy it he leased it out till the big auto dealer wanted the corner for a new dealership. By the time he sold off his entire orchard he was a wealthy man. Took some of the profits and bought a farm to lease next to the airport. Right after that the city decided they wanted to really improve and enlarge the airport, so he sold part of that for more than he paid for the whole thing. Then sold the rest off to commercial/industrial developers. He became really well off.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM

2,844 posts, read 1,881,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Eichler built from basic models, to luxury models and were not all low priced. Eichlers in the '60s cost from $18,000 to about $40,000+ depending on the model and where the subdivision was located.

We bought our first home in Cupertino in 1956 for $13,750. Stephens Creek was the road out there, and only a 2 lane road through the Orchards into the 60s.

A friend of mine bought an orchard on the SW corner of Stephens Creek Road, and Winchester road on the G.I. bill when he got out after WWII. He soon realized he was not a farmer, and as no one wanted to buy it he leased it out till the big auto dealer wanted the corner for a new dealership. By the time he sold off his entire orchard he was a wealthy man. Took some of the profits and bought a farm to lease next to the airport. Right after that the city decided they wanted to really improve and enlarge the airport, so he sold part of that for more than he paid for the whole thing. Then sold the rest off to commercial/industrial developers. He became really well off.
BTW, it's written as Stevens Creek with a "v".

I'm guessing that orchard on the SW corner of Stevens Creek Blvd. and Winchester Blvd. became Courtesy Chevrolet for many years, and is now Santana Row. Courtesy Chevrolet has moved down the road to the corner of San Tomas Expressway (where Kiddie World used to be).

There also was a Chevrolet dealership in Cupertino, on the western portion of Stevens Creek Blvd., near Stelling Road, nearly across the way from De Anza College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose