U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 4,886 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a married professional with a wife and a 5 mth old baby.
I'll be relocating from Singapore which is in the south of Asia as I have accepted an offer to do auditing in San Jose.

I'll be earning around 72K per year pre tax(low but we have confirmed increment every yr of roughly 10%). This is supplemented as well from the rental of my house in my home country of roughly 24k. Moving costs are fully covered, including free accomodation and car for 1st month and interest free loan for car and 6.5k in cash.
I do not have a fixed location for work as I'll be travelling around SV depending on where my client is situated thus I feel staying near my main office at Almaden Boulevard would be the best choice. We work a minimum of 60hrs/week to 100hrs/week from where I came from so I don't think the working hours in SJ would scare us.

My wife would be a SAHM taking care of our kid. We do not spend alot, our ideal day is to take a stroll down shopping areas with our kid and maybe travel interstate once in a while. We are both chinese but with english as our first language. Do not necessary have to stay near other chinese, we just like to experience new culture.

My budget for accomodation is roughly 1.3k-1.6k for 2br. Had researched around and narrowed down my choice of accomodation to these 3 areas. Campbell, Willow Glen, Sunnyvale.

Would just like to find out, are there any bad areas in these 3 towns that I should avoid? Safety is our main priority other than costs.
Are there any other towns I should be paying attention to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,598,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftanwx View Post
Hi

I am a married professional with a wife and a 5 mth old baby.
I'll be relocating from Singapore which is in the south of Asia as I have accepted an offer to do auditing in San Jose.

I'll be earning around 72K per year pre tax(low but we have confirmed increment every yr of roughly 10%). This is supplemented as well from the rental of my house in my home country of roughly 24k. Moving costs are fully covered, including free accomodation and car for 1st month and interest free loan for car and 6.5k in cash.
I do not have a fixed location for work as I'll be travelling around SV depending on where my client is situated thus I feel staying near my main office at Almaden Boulevard would be the best choice. We work a minimum of 60hrs/week to 100hrs/week from where I came from so I don't think the working hours in SJ would scare us.

My wife would be a SAHM taking care of our kid. We do not spend alot, our ideal day is to take a stroll down shopping areas with our kid and maybe travel interstate once in a while. We are both chinese but with english as our first language. Do not necessary have to stay near other chinese, we just like to experience new culture.

My budget for accomodation is roughly 1.3k-1.6k for 2br. Had researched around and narrowed down my choice of accomodation to these 3 areas. Campbell, Willow Glen, Sunnyvale.

Would just like to find out, are there any bad areas in these 3 towns that I should avoid? Safety is our main priority other than costs.
Are there any other towns I should be paying attention to?
I personally like Willow Glen, but it does border on some sketchy areas. Sunnyvale has a couple sketchy areas in the northern part of the city. Campbell doesn't seem to have as many (I could've missed it though) and might be slightly more affordable.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,707,420 times
De Anza Park in Sunnyvale is popular with young families, I would take my grandchildren in a stroller there when daughter lived in the area. There are apartments between that park and Sunnyvale Middle School. Mary Avenue is a busy street. Stay on the west side of that street so your wife would not need to cross it to go to the park.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am considering between Campbell and Sunnyvale, Campbell being that it is near market places and Sunnyvale being family friendly.

Are there any webbies other than apartment ratings where I could assess the condition and ratings of apartments?

Old 11-14-2011, 11:54 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,707,420 times
Between these two I would choose the location with the easiest commute to work. What you save in housing cost could be consumed in transportation costs. The SV has poor public transit.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM

1,415 posts, read 2,421,402 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I am considering between Campbell and Sunnyvale, Campbell being that it is near market places and Sunnyvale being family friendly.
Which market places? Sunnyvale is great for convenient shopping.

Quote:

Are there any webbies other than apartment ratings where I could assess the condition and ratings of apartments?
Yelp is mainly for restaurants but you can also find apartment reviews.

Apartments Sunnyvale

Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM

160 posts, read 235,306 times
Willow street park at Willow and Meridian is close to work and full of kids and stay at home mom's on weekday mornings. Same with the Campbell Park in Campbell [campbell ave and Gilman]. There are creek trails close to both of these locations but I prefer the one in Campbell because the creek trail runs all the way to Los Gatos or you can walk up Campbell ave to downtown Campbell for coffee, the library, etc. There are a bunch of apartment rentals on Union Ave and Pruneyard shopping center is close, too.
Good luck with your move!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahOwen View Post
Willow street park at Willow and Meridian is close to work and full of kids and stay at home mom's on weekday mornings. Same with the Campbell Park in Campbell [campbell ave and Gilman]. There are creek trails close to both of these locations but I prefer the one in Campbell because the creek trail runs all the way to Los Gatos or you can walk up Campbell ave to downtown Campbell for coffee, the library, etc. There are a bunch of apartment rentals on Union Ave and Pruneyard shopping center is close, too.
Good luck with your move!
Yeah.. I was thinking campbell too.. affordable with great environment.. Reading through all the threads here.. I've compiled a list of the desirable and not so desirable areas in campbell. Correct me if I am wrong.

Desirable
Drycreek
Pruneyard
Bucknall
Aquino
Camden
Saratoga Ave
Westgate mall
Payne
Marijane Hamman Park
Downing
Blackford

Not so desirable
Winchester Blvd
W Hacienda Drive
San Tomas
Cadillac Drive
Impala
Loma Verde

Old 11-15-2011, 12:37 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,430,111 times
We lived in Sunnyvale and Los Gatos ( south of Campbell ). I would opt for Campbell over Sunnyvale though both areas are pretty good.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 AM

13 posts, read 17,030 times
I do like both Sunnyvale and Campbell myself. In Sunnyvale, south of El Camino, there are better schools and hence it attracts more young families. Campbell, on the other hand, has a nice downtown with good shops and restaurants. And I especially like the proximity to Los Gatos Greek Trail and Vasona Park.

If you need to travel around Silicon Valley to clients' sites, you should take location into consideration. All major freeways jam up pretty badly during rush hours. Sunnyvale is centrally located with respect to the rest of silicon valley and thus offers a shorter commute in most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose