Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to silicon valley from LA and would like to get direction on where to live. Interested in which areas have the highest rated public schools (and pre-schools), in areas which attract educated, socially minded and active people. Proximity to San Jose with access to Palo Alto works in a town with a good community feel to rent in now and possibly buy in later (is $1 mil still possible?!!). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
You'll basically be wanting to look at the west side of the Santa Clara Valley. You would probably want to look in Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga, Cupertino, West San Jose, Los Altos/Los Altos Hills and Palo Alto.

If you'd like any more specifics on these areas, feel free to ask. Based on your initial inquiry though, these are the areas you'll probably want to focus on.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
BUT $1m for a family sized house will be a challenge.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
BUT $1m for a family sized house will be a challenge.

Agreed.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
PaloAlto/PortolaValley, etc region is where most of CA's (or world's for that matter) highest-income/highest-skilled choose to reside

Much as in LA's Westside, $1MM buys a slum in PaloAlto region
But desirable land in hills above PA is far cheaper than desirable land in Palisades/Brentwood

And keep in mind that PaloAlto region has world's greatest concentration of wealthy engineers who likely attended mediocre public schools all over US suburbia; may be college dropouts or graduated Stanford CS but view formal education as a waste of time and lots of miseducation, even back in pre-Kindle/iPad era, let alone era in which they are raising their kids and when most top engineers in SV are dropouts/outcasts of some form who are continually self-educating as tech/finance/business continually evolve

Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 PM

One of the problems is that professors are a generation behind. I think undergrad work is really the foundation to build on. There is a difference in the culture of implementers and creative developers. The similarity, in my observation, is with mathematicians. Their most creative work typically takes place before the age of 35. The SV is a stew made up of creative engineers and mathematicians/software developers. Not all of that ilk can handle the SV pressure.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Perhaps Mountain View, Cupertino or the parts of Sunnyvale in the aforementioned school districts? You could find something for $1 million, not fancy (can you believe it? I can't...also from LA), but something. Especially if you could go townhome.

To those in the know, how are schools on the north side of this area, like Belmont, Menlo Park, San Carlos, etc.?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Perhaps Mountain View, Cupertino or the parts of Sunnyvale in the aforementioned school districts? You could find something for $1 million, not fancy (can you believe it? I can't...also from LA), but something. Especially if you could go townhome.

To those in the know, how are schools on the north side of this area, like Belmont, Menlo Park, San Carlos, etc.?
Well, living in Mountain View, I can tell you that the schools here are good. Maybe not as good as Palo Alto if you're just going by the API scores, but I don't think they tell everything. Palo Alto and Cupertino tend to have a high concentration of Asian students, who are very academically focused but less well rounded.

I personally think that the Mountain View schools are strong enough and having a little more diversity in the schools is not necessarily a bad thing. However, if I change my mind, I can send my kids to Bellarmine Prep, with the money I've saved in buying a less expensive house.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 PM

My daughter lives in Los Altos, her son is at Springer grade school (which is located in Mountain View but part of the Los Altos School District). They are happy with his progress. The parental support of their programs is very strong.

My SIL teaches in Cupertino. What others have said about the school culture is consistent with what he has shared with me.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:54 AM

255 posts, read 514,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskowski View Post
I'm moving to silicon valley from LA and would like to get direction on where to live. Interested in which areas have the highest rated public schools (and pre-schools), in areas which attract educated, socially minded and active people. Proximity to San Jose with access to Palo Alto works in a town with a good community feel to rent in now and possibly buy in later (is $1 mil still possible?!!). Thanks!
It may make sense to just rent.

Buying a million-dollar home means putting down 200k downpayment, and mortgaging an 800k loan. The total monthly mortgage payment for a 800k 30-year fixed loan at 4% comes out to 3800+/month. Add 1500/mo of property tax, and take out about 800/mo in mortgage interest deduction, your monthly expense is about 4500/mo.

Now you could rent a pretty nice place for less than 3500/month. Of course, you won't see any appreciation by renting. However, your monthly expense is less, you don't have to tie down 200k, and if you feel the school district isn't your type you can always move on. Besides, who says home prices have to appreciate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose