U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,457 times
Default New job in Livermore - where to live?

I have a new job in Livermore and am flying to San Jose area to look for apartments soon. I'm single so I really don't want to live in Livermore. I'm thinking of finding a place in San Jose east/Milpitas/Freemont area. Unfortunately, I didn't find a commuter train that goes all the way to Livermore, so I'd have to drive on freeway 680 to commute.

Living in San Jose would be great, but compared to Freemont, I'd have to drive 10mi more one way. Freemont would save me some time but I don't know how it would be living there as a single person. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
HDL

2,763 posts, read 3,803,272 times
Thumbs up Congrats on the new job!!!

Personally, I would live in Dublin or even Pleasanton if you're anglo. It's still easy to get down to Fremont or San Jose on the weekends or even Oakland/Berkeley and SF. Plus you have Bart which is very accessible.

If you're Asian, then Livermore/Pleasanton/Dublin cities may be lacking the diversity that you're wanting. I believe that rentwise, Dublin may be even higher than Fremont or possibly close in price. I've seen 1 bedroom rents in Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore as high as $1700+ depending upon the amenities.

Best wishes to you!! Livermore is really a very cool place !

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 PM

291 posts, read 538,002 times
I don't see how Fremont is a better place to live than Livermore. They are both suburbs. At least Livermore has all the wineries (over 40 of them) and a great downtown with lots of good places to eat, even a few bars! But Fremont has a large Asian population so if you are looking for an Asian community Fremont would fit the bill quite nicely.

Are you working at one of the labs? If you are, they have commuter shuttles so check out their route and you might be able to ride the BART.

In any case, if you live plan to live anywhere West of Livermore you will be going against traffic so driving is not going to be a problem at all. Honestly, I would look into parts of Oakland or Berkeley, if you are looking into a city like atmosphere. I am not a big fan of the south bay so San Jose doesn't do it for me.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM

14,120 posts, read 11,736,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I don't see how Fremont is a better place to live than Livermore. They are both suburbs. At least Livermore has all the wineries (over 40 of them) and a great downtown with lots of good places to eat, even a few bars! But Fremont has a large Asian population so if you are looking for an Asian community Fremont would fit the bill quite nicely.

Are you working at one of the labs? If you are, they have commuter shuttles so check out their route and you might be able to ride the BART.

In any case, if you live plan to live anywhere West of Livermore you will be going against traffic so driving is not going to be a problem at all. Honestly, I would look into parts of Oakland or Berkeley, if you are looking into a city like atmosphere. I am not a big fan of the south bay so San Jose doesn't do it for me.

Good luck!
Personally, I would not want to do a long commute. Why not just live in Livermore (or Pleasanton, which has a BART station, I think)? However, if you were going to do a commute, I do agree that living in Oakland or Berkeley would be better choices for the city atmosphere. I live in SJ and I like it. It does have a small urban core, but it just doesn't have that city vibe. It's not a place you'd really want to live if you had a job in Livermore.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM

7,891 posts, read 9,575,978 times
Weird how people have come to associate the Tri Valley area with San Jose more than with OAK-SF.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 PM

13 posts, read 16,639 times
San Jose with its vibrant downtown and Santana Row definitely has more to offer in terms of dinning, entertainment, and cultural events. Fremont has its share of new mall developments gone up in the past few years, mainly along 880. One thing you can consider is to find an apartment close to North San Jose along 680. It's only a couple exits away from Fremont and that stretch of 680 with your commute direction is usually clear. It is about 30 minutes to Livermore assuming no traffic.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 AM

6,770 posts, read 16,476,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalam View Post
San Jose with its vibrant downtown and Santana Row definitely has more to offer in terms of dinning, entertainment, and cultural events. Fremont has its share of new mall developments gone up in the past few years, mainly along 880. One thing you can consider is to find an apartment close to North San Jose along 680. It's only a couple exits away from Fremont and that stretch of 680 with your commute direction is usually clear. It is about 30 minutes to Livermore assuming no traffic.
I used to commute on northbound 680, from Evergreen up towards Milpitas (I took the Montague exit). It was hectic, thick traffic flow all the time and various degrees of slow all the way up and down with the worst being southbound around 6pm. North of Milpitas it's fine, just make sure you don't forget anything at work.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:21 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,726,307 times
I'd also look at Walnut Creek, which has decent nightlife and is reasonaly close (but maybe San Jose is closer)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose