Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM

42 posts, read 94,390 times

Advertisements

I tried to search and find a similar topic about the Salinas area.

I am looking to potentially accept an offer out near Castroville area for a position. I have no clue really what to throw out there for a compensation figure, so I will go with $100K as my minimum figure that I'll accept the offer for. My wife would typically earn $20-25/hour as well if she decides to work.

Still I hear horror stories about California and I don't even know if $100K is enough!

Anyways; I'm 30, wife's 29 (both African American)--2 children (8 yr old girl, 2 yr old boy). Now I currently live in north Dallas suburbs (McKinney, TX). How is the drive to the Castroville area from Salinas? Traffic around the area in general? Would it be a possibility to drive from San Jose? Or is that ridiculous?

I would rent if I move there hopefully a 4 bdrm. I've lived in MI, WI, GA, KS, TX but this is the scariest move of all for me simply due to having no clue but unfortunate cost stereotypes about CA.

Any info anyone can provide, I'd greatly appreciate. Should I even live in Salinas or are there other places that are better suited for a young black family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooch View Post
I tried to search and find a similar topic about the Salinas area.

I am looking to potentially accept an offer out near Castroville area for a position. I have no clue really what to throw out there for a compensation figure, so I will go with $100K as my minimum figure that I'll accept the offer for. My wife would typically earn $20-25/hour as well if she decides to work.

Still I hear horror stories about California and I don't even know if $100K is enough!

Anyways; I'm 30, wife's 29 (both African American)--2 children (8 yr old girl, 2 yr old boy). Now I currently live in north Dallas suburbs (McKinney, TX). How is the drive to the Castroville area from Salinas? Traffic around the area in general? Would it be a possibility to drive from San Jose? Or is that ridiculous?

I would rent if I move there hopefully a 4 bdrm. I've lived in MI, WI, GA, KS, TX but this is the scariest move of all for me simply due to having no clue but unfortunate cost stereotypes about CA.

Any info anyone can provide, I'd greatly appreciate. Should I even live in Salinas or are there other places that are better suited for a young black family?
I grew up in Salinas, so I think I can speak a lot on this topic. First of all, the drive from Castroville to Salinas is very easy. It is a 2 lane highway (183), but the area is fairly sparsely populated, so you're looking at a 15-20 minute commute max.

Commuting from San Jose, while possible, is not the best. You are going against the flow (that's a good thing), but you're probably looking at about 1 hour each direction. San Jose is much more expensive than the Salinas area and probably right up there with Monterey.

In terms of salary, it really depends upon what you will be doing. Will you be working in agriculture? If so, expect the salaries to be much lower than you'd find up here in the Silicon Valley/high tech.

I guess Salinas is decent for an African American family. There were a few African Americans in my high school (not a ton), but Salinas is predominately hispanic, with white the large minority there.

Race aside, I wouldn't recommend living in Salinas. The crime rate has become very high and I don't think the city has much to offer if you are educated and not ultra religious. If you want a shorter commute than SJ, consider living either in the Monterey area or the Santa Cruz area. Both are more expensive than Salinas, but you can probably find something decent to rent with your income.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM

42 posts, read 94,390 times
I work in Human Resources. I don't mind driving an hour--as long as it's not a traffic jam hour...if traffic flows smooth--I'm okay with that. I do that now basically.

How about Morgan Hill or San Martin along the way? That'd put us semi halfway between San Jose and work. At least we could go to SJ for entertainment I'd think. Or maybe Los Gatos or Saratoga?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
You could explore other areas of the county closer to the coast ... like in Monterey itself for example ... on the coast.
But it's costly.
However with a 100K salary plus what your wife may make, it may be possible and well worth it.
Can you reveal what you are willing / able to afford for a rental?
I don't know Salinas that well but there is a lot of crime / gang activity and many areas where you would not want to live and raise a family.
I imagine that there are some o.k. areas as well but i assume that your children will be going to public school.
I would not recommend that you orient yourself toward San Jose for entertainment, etc.
If you live in Monterey county both it and Santa Cruz county will provide you with fun for you and your wife and the kids.
And you'll be close enough to San Francisco for an occasional city experience if you want it.
And San Jose is a relatively short commute from Monterey.
What i'm saying is that if you can afford it (and i realize that it's a big if) i think you may appreciate the quality of life nearer to the coast in Monterey county. (unless you have an aversion to the ocean and a very beautiful bay)

Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooch View Post
I work in Human Resources. I don't mind driving an hour--as long as it's not a traffic jam hour...if traffic flows smooth--I'm okay with that. I do that now basically.

How about Morgan Hill or San Martin along the way? That'd put us semi halfway between San Jose and work. At least we could go to SJ for entertainment I'd think. Or maybe Los Gatos or Saratoga?
Morgan Hill is fairly nice and growing. Its still a fairly long commute, but it is doable. The thing about Morgan Hill is that you should move there if you want to experience that area. If you're looking to be close to the action of downtown San Jose, you are still 30 minutes away. You're maybe 15-20 min away from south SJ, but that is very suburban and probably not where you'll be going out.

Los Gatos and Saratoga are both wonderful towns, but very pricey. However, open your checkbook. If you're looking for a 4 bedroom home in those towns, you may be paying $4-5k/month in rent. You could do west San Jose or Campbell, which borders both Los Gatos and Saratoga for less. However, keep in mind that your commute would still be long. I do know people that have done that, just to be in the heart of the action in the Silicon Valley, but I probably wouldn't do that myself.

Honestly, I think your best bets are the following -

Monterey County - Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove - pricey, but probably slightly less than Silicon Valley for rentals (avoid Seaside or Marina).

Santa Cruz County - Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Soquel - pricey as well, but a little less than Silicon Valley (avoid Watsonville).

If you chose Santa Cruz county, your wife would have the commute options of Santa Cruz, Monterey, or Santa Clara counties.

I personally prefer the Santa Cruz side of the bay as its a bit younger and is more of a sunbelt than Monterey. Monterey however is very nice and boutiquish, so it depends upon what you are into.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
You're going to want good schools for your kids, so have a look here: California School Performance Maps
Pacific Grove and Carmel should be places you look at, despite the fact they are considered "high-end". Rents are high in good areas, lower in some really bad areas, but nothing is as cheap as TX. You'll have to adjust to very high rents out here.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Morgan Hill is fairly nice and growing. Its still a fairly long commute, but it is doable. The thing about Morgan Hill is that you should move there if you want to experience that area. If you're looking to be close to the action of downtown San Jose, you are still 30 minutes away. You're maybe 15-20 min away from south SJ, but that is very suburban and probably not where you'll be going out.

Los Gatos and Saratoga are both wonderful towns, but very pricey. However, open your checkbook. If you're looking for a 4 bedroom home in those towns, you may be paying $4-5k/month in rent. You could do west San Jose or Campbell, which borders both Los Gatos and Saratoga for less. However, keep in mind that your commute would still be long. I do know people that have done that, just to be in the heart of the action in the Silicon Valley, but I probably wouldn't do that myself.

Honestly, I think your best bets are the following -

Monterey County - Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove - pricey, but probably slightly less than Silicon Valley for rentals (avoid Seaside or Marina).

Santa Cruz County - Scotts Valley, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Aptos, Soquel - pricey as well, but a little less than Silicon Valley (avoid Watsonville).

If you chose Santa Cruz county, your wife would have the commute options of Santa Cruz, Monterey, or Santa Clara counties.

I personally prefer the Santa Cruz side of the bay as its a bit younger and is more of a sunbelt than Monterey. Monterey however is very nice and boutiquish, so it depends upon what you are into.

Monterey is a bit more stayed but it's also more stable and i would think it would be a very good place to raise a family.
It's my sense that the public schools in Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel are good but i don't have kids so i'm not sure about that.
I'm assuming the Monterey county is tolerant of diversity and certainly Santa Cruz county is.
I don't think that it's accurate to say that S.C. county is less expensive than Silicon Valley although i'm not sure how exactly you define "Silicon Valley".
In any case, both S.C. county and Monterey county are certainly pricey but (and it's just my sense) you may get a bit more for your buck in Monterey county?
Also, any where along the coast of the bay there will be fog .. in both counties more and less depending on a number of variables.
There are certainly many rentals in good / safe / "desirable" areas of S.C. county that are a bit (to a lot) inland and away from the fog and this is not as true in Monterey county.
I too prefer the western side of the S.C. mountains.
And the commute to Salinas from S.C. county will be a bit of a long one but in the opposite direction of the major HWY 1 commute.
Also, though Carmel is certainly boutique-ish / foofy i think categorizing Monterey in such a way is less than accurate.
And rooch, Monterey has a super great aquarium that your kids will love.

Santa Cruz County, California

Monterey County, California

Last edited by jaijai; 01-16-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Monterey is a bit more stayed but it's also more stable and i would think it would be a very good place to raise a family.
It's my sense that the public schools in Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel are good but i don't have kids so i'm not sure about that.
I'm assuming the Monterey county is tolerant of diversity and certainly Santa Cruz county is.
I don't think that it's accurate to say that S.C. county is less expensive than Silicon Valley although i'm not sure how exactly you define "Silicon Valley".
In any case, both S.C. county and Monterey county are certainly pricey but (and it's just my sense) you may get a bit more for your buck in Monterey county?
Also, any where along the coast of the bay there will be fog .. in both counties more and less depending on a number of variables.
There are certainly many rentals in good / safe / "desirable" areas of S.C. county that are a bit (to a lot) inland and away from the fog and this is not as true in Monterey county.
I too prefer the western side of the S.C. mountains.
And the commute to Salinas from S.C. county will be a bit of a long one but in the opposite direction of the major HWY 1 commute.
Also, though Carmel is certainly boutique-ish / foofy i think categorizing Monterey in such a way is less than accurate.
And rooch, Monterey has a super great aquarium that your kids will love.

Santa Cruz County, California

Monterey County, California
Regarding cost, if you are talking about cheaper parts of San Jose, then Santa Cruz is not cheaper. However, if you're talking about the more upscale portions of the West Valley, then it is a bit more reasonable along the Santa Cruz county coast.

Yes, both Santa Cruz and Monterey get a fair share of fog. However, as Santa Cruz is facing south, while Monterey is facing north, often times, Monterey and even Salinas is socked in with fog, while it is sunny in Santa Cruz. Trust me, I lived in Salinas and can remember many occasions when it was foggy where I was and I could see clear skies over in the Santa Cruz area. It is a noticeable difference.

You are correct that Monterey isn't all boutiques. However, the Santa Cruz area just has a younger vibe. I'm not saying there aren't any young people in Monterey, but every time I'm over there, I see a higher proportion of empty nesters and seniors than I do in Santa Cruz.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Regarding cost, if you are talking about cheaper parts of San Jose, then Santa Cruz is not cheaper. However, if you're talking about the more upscale portions of the West Valley, then it is a bit more reasonable along the Santa Cruz county coast.

Yes, both Santa Cruz and Monterey get a fair share of fog. However, as Santa Cruz is facing south, while Monterey is facing north, often times, Monterey and even Salinas is socked in with fog, while it is sunny in Santa Cruz. Trust me, I lived in Salinas and can remember many occasions when it was foggy where I was and I could see clear skies over in the Santa Cruz area. It is a noticeable difference.

You are correct that Monterey isn't all boutiques. However, the Santa Cruz area just has a younger vibe. I'm not saying there aren't any young people in Monterey, but every time I'm over there, I see a higher proportion of empty nesters and seniors than I do in Santa Cruz.
What are the more upscale portions of the West Valley?
And yes, Santa Cruz has a "younger vibe".
I love the nuttiness of S.C. county but with children, the o.p. and wife might prefer the more stayed / stable scene in Monterey county.
I don't know ... just depends on what they're about.
Either way, if they can find a good rental in either county, that may be best for them.
I'd recommend either.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
What are the more upscale portions of the West Valley?
And yes, Santa Cruz has a "younger vibe".
I love the nuttiness of S.C. county but with children, the o.p. and wife might prefer the more stayed / stable scene in Monterey county.
I don't know ... just depends on what they're about.
Either way, if they can find a good rental in either county, that may be best for them.
I'd recommend either.
I'd consider the following to be West Valley:

-the Almaden portion of San Jose
-Los Gatos
-Saratoga
-Cupertino
-Mountain View
-Los Altos
-Palo Alto

Monterey is nice, yes, but I do think Santa Cruz has a little more to offer (just my personal opinion). You really can't go wrong with either location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose