U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,541,540 times
I don't think it is entirely incorrect what the earlier poster said about the FOB comment. I do find that many of them make no effort to make friends outside of their racial groups, which can be challenging to meet new people in the area. There are also subtle things that some of them do, such as slam the car door against your car without any care, causing a lot of scratches. I know I'll get dinged for this and I don't think everyone from these races are in that category, but those that aren't very Americanized tend to behave in manners which may be perceived as rude to us.

On another note, I think the dating scene here is pretty bad. I'm married now, so I don't really care. However, as a single guy, the pickings tend to be slim (due to the high proportion of techie men vs women - they don't call it "Man Jose" for no reason). I also found that when there was an attractive, intelligent woman, she would typically let it get to her head and think she's a model or something...based on the distorted proportion. When I lived here and was single, I'd find myself going up to the city on most weekends for the dating scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:47 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,369,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
those that aren't very Americanized tend to behave in manners which may be perceived as rude to us.
Goes the other way, too. Everybody around the world knows what "ugly American" means in terms of foul behavior abroad.

But there are definitely those around here that don't exactly represent their group terribly well. Need the kids to get a decent education, and things tend to make a general turn for the better.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM

14,117 posts, read 11,736,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I do find that many of them make no effort to make friends outside of their racial groups, which can be challenging to meet new people in the area.
This is a very accurate comment and I think it contributes to why SJ is boring for its size as well as the lack of community spirit. Recent immigrants tend to stick to existing family & friend networks and tend not to look out at the larger community.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,541,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Goes the other way, too. Everybody around the world knows what "ugly American" means in terms of foul behavior abroad.
Right. I always try to be considerate of other cultures when I travel, but I've seen a fair share of Americans behaving in a manner which I consider embarrassing, when I've been in other countries. Two wrongs do not make a right though.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 PM

875 posts, read 455,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'll start.

-Too many people are in SJ "for the job". Many people never really come to SJ to make it a better place to live. They just come to see what they can get out of it. There's not a ton of community spirit among a large portion of the population. The main areas where you'll find a sense of community are places like Willow Glen or other older parts of town where there tends to be more people who've lived in the area a long time.

-I'm sure somebody will cry racist, but there are too many "FOB's" (fresh off the boat). San Jose has many people who've come from foreign countries (mainly China, Vietnam and India) who speak little or no English and don't really try either and who also drive terrible. Their concepts of what would be considered rude or inappropriate behavior in this country are different than ours. The upside is that there are many different cultural food choices in the SJ area. The downside is that I've been in numerous situations where the actions of foreign people who are unaware of how to act in a typical American environment cause my quality of life to be lowered. Sometimes something as simple as ordering food can be a huge challenge. After awhile it gets very frustrating dealing with people who can't speak English and it gets especially annoying dealing with people who have no business driving in this country due to their complete lack of driving skills. You'll especially experience this on the east side of town. Since I'm sure somebody will call me racist after my comments (somebody always does), I should add that this is from numerous personal experiences and is not based on ignorance. I know many people who feel exactly the same way...and not just white people. A lot of long time residents just suck it up and bite their tongues, but inside they are pretty irritated. It does get old after awhile.

-The cost of living is horrible. I can't afford to buy a home in any of the neighborhoods I'd be happy living in. I've lived in the area my entire life and unfortunately plan to leave the Bay Area when I'm ready to buy my next home.

-San Jose is somewhat boring for a city of its size. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's home to such a large population of nerdy tech types. There's a large population of "boring" people here...again, this is from experience. San Jose is not nearly as dead as some people on this forum make it out to be, but it could be a lot more exciting, especially considering its size.

These are pretty much the main negative aspects of the city in my opinion. Overall, it is a nice city though. There are plenty of good things about it to off-set the negative.
I agree with mysticaltiger that everything you say is spot on, except for the second paragraph. I like the diversity of cultures.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 PM

7,882 posts, read 9,575,978 times
The main thing I don't like is an accident of geography. Because there is a Bay in the middle of our conurbation, and, a decent amount of flat land at the south end of the bay, that was the natural place for the San Jose and nearby portions to be. Unfortunately, that complex is 40 miles from the Central Bay communities (the SF and Oakland complexes). Imagine if all three complexes were equidistant. Oh, and also, imagine the airport was not located where it is.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The main thing I don't like is an accident of geography. Because there is a Bay in the middle of our conurbation, and, a decent amount of flat land at the south end of the bay, that was the natural place for the San Jose and nearby portions to be. Unfortunately, that complex is 40 miles from the Central Bay communities (the SF and Oakland complexes). Imagine if all three complexes were equidistant. Oh, and also, imagine the airport was not located where it is.
What's wrong with the airport location? I live downtown and love the convenience of being there on light rail in a short period of time.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM

257 posts, read 407,422 times
My main complaints would be...

SMOG -- is it getting worse every year?? Every time...or almost every time I drive into San Jose from Morgan hill, there is brown smog blanketing San Jose...yuck yuck yuck. Even now in the winter--not just in the hot summer months.

Schools--you need to be well-to-do to be able to send your kids to a great school...meaning, the great schools are located where houses are typically 800k+...live in an "affordable" neighborhood and you're likely to get a school with 50% Spanish speaking only students who hold back the higher performing english speaking students who can't afford to live in the more affluent areas and go to the great schools

Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 AM

164 posts, read 128,521 times
* the lack of focus on public amenities... such as city libraries not opened after 8pm & having furlough days, cities with no covered public swimming pool (Santa Clara's is only opened to seniors!!), or the long wait time for buses, or the 2-3 hour typical wait in urgent care - all handled more generously by much smaller towns in western Europe.
* despite recent efforts, lack of focus on bicycling. Traffic sensors often do NOT work even if you stop exactly on top of the bike drawing. Bike lanes are drawn east-west much more than north-south. Drivers don't have the habit to check incoming bicycles when making a right turn. And I'm the only person bicycling my child to school (which covers preschool to middle school)
* horrendous bread, pastries and cakes. Even SF's best closed a few years ago.
* winter pollution - the evening chimney smoke stench makes me very glad we have an air purifier in our bedroom. Whereas bicycling through Atherton just smells.. hmm.. nice.
* the small housing lots - my personal pet peeve about the valley. The largest lot in Santa Clara city is barely 14k sqf (I visited it in 2005 as the owner had passed away - nice fruit trees but the house was in disrepair) and the typical lot - even in Palo Alto - is just about 6k sqf. Not enough for large dogs to roam about, in my view.

On the other hand, I find drivers generally very well behaved compared to Europe or Asia, and the only person who ever scratched my car happened to be a white blonde. While many immigrants prefer not to mingle if you're not from their culture, it's very easy to find exceptions if you reach out.
The list of great things about the valley is long and may be out of place in this thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
* the lack of focus on public amenities... such as city libraries not opened after 8pm & having furlough days,
As far as the library issue goes, I can tell you first hand you can thank your local police & fire departments for that. Throughout the valley, the police & fire departments have typically gotten much better raises and benfit increases over the last 15 years than other public sector workers. Their salaries have gobbled up ever larger shares of cities' general funds, leaving less $$$ for everything else. Just one example I could give...San Jose Police/Firefighters can retire as early as age 50 at up to 90% of their highest year's pay, while many library workers are part time with no benefits. Other full time employees typically can't retire until 55, at a max of 75% of highest years pay (still generous I know, but still a big savings over police/firefighters).

One more example....San Jose's police chief retired just over a year ago with a 296K payout in unpaid sick leave. That's enough to run a mid-size San Jose branch library for a year. Several other to police/firefighters also retired with more than 200K in sick leave payout, since the number of hours that can be paid out to them are not capped, as they are for other city workers.

I could go on and on....but I'll stop there. BTW, it's a similar story in other cities throughout the Valley...not unique to San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose