U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM

13,335 posts, read 10,595,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
My main complaints would be...

SMOG -- is it getting worse every year?? Every time...or almost every time I drive into San Jose from Morgan hill, there is brown smog blanketing San Jose...yuck yuck yuck. Even now in the winter--not just in the hot summer months.
Air quality has generally improved in the valley over the last decade. This year, we've had an unusually dry winter, which is why the winter air pollution is worse than average.

And if you're driving in your car into the San Jose & other points north every day from Morgan Hill, you're part of the problem. (Yes, I know transit needs to be better, but just sayin').

The school complaint is completely legit, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:54 AM

267 posts, read 246,216 times
The cost of houses in San Jose/Silicon Valley is ridiculous. You have crazy people competing to pay close to a million dollars for a 50-60 year old house with only 1,200 sq. ft. and 2 BR/1BA, which keeps prices outrageously high. Most of the houses in the area were built in the 50's and 60's and are falling apart with ancient plumbing and wiring. I read in the Mercury News the other day that the wiring in these old houses in so corroded that they can't even sustain phone calls, let alone an Internet connection. House buyers in the area are nuts! They are willing to pay an over-inflated fortune to live in an old dumpy shack!

Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 AM

418 posts, read 247,776 times
TheGreatCurve:
if your career locks you to the area and have a family, then you buy a house there. You dont have a choice. or should people commute to SJ from 100 miles distant places every day to work?
Of course if you are a shopkeeper or a teacher (not a silicon walley talent), then you don't have to live in that area, you can move elsewhere. I am planning to move there for career reasons. Otherwise I would move to Florida or San Diego, which have cheaper housing.
I think the problem is with those people who buy the houses there as investment rather than to make a home for themselves, this way pushing prices up. Outbidding each other until the prices go up well. For example the Facebook millionaire and others buy lots of houses there to put their money in it. It doesnt matter for them if they buy 50 houses at fair price or just 35 houses at increased price, they have invested the same amount of money anyway. This should be illegal, like they want it in China. Then the real people like you or me would be able buy a home for themselves. Its good that the food, water, gas and air is still affordable... housing is not, at least not in some places.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
TheGreatCurve:
if your career locks you to the area and have a family, then you buy a house there. You dont have a choice. or should people commute to SJ from 100 miles distant places every day to work?
Of course if you are a shopkeeper or a teacher (not a silicon walley talent), then you don't have to live in that area, you can move elsewhere. I am planning to move there for career reasons. Otherwise I would move to Florida or San Diego, which have cheaper housing.
I think the problem is with those people who buy the houses there as investment rather than to make a home for themselves, this way pushing prices up. Outbidding each other until the prices go up well. For example the Facebook millionaire and others buy lots of houses there to put their money in it. It doesnt matter for them if they buy 50 houses at fair price or just 35 houses at increased price, they have invested the same amount of money anyway. This should be illegal, like they want it in China. Then the real people like you or me would be able buy a home for themselves. Its good that the food, water, gas and air is still affordable... housing is not, at least not in some places.
You've identified the problem, but the solution is not going to work. What we really need is an increase in supply to keep supply & demand in balance. That probably means more high density housing, which people don't like. But it's the only solution in an area that's mostly built out.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:52 PM

418 posts, read 247,776 times
i understand the supply-demand thing.
I just wanted to point out that there is some artificial portion of the demand that should not be there. The supply (constructions) would never keep up with these in any geographical area. Not just in the Bay Area. It would help a littlebit, but it wouldnt be a cure for the problem, just a little temporary help on the symptoms.
In my opinion, the artificial part should be removed/controlled from every type of market, not just in the housing market. Especially in those markets that are closely connected to the average people's quality of life. In those where it is not closely conencted, could still cause bubbles and recessions.
The sad thing is no-one would be courageous enough to do something about it, in any way they would have to step on someone's toes.
Maybe I am wrong, it might really be only lots of nice people buying homes for their families to have a decent life there, I dont have any means to measure this...

In Hungary as I remember around 15-20 years ago foreigners (I think western europeans) started buying properties as investment, then the housing prices jumped record high. Previously it was not legally permitted for them. The population of the country is decreasing (minimally), so the natural demand did not increase, but the artificial part did.

sorry, maybe my post is not too relevant to the original topic.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
i understand the supply-demand thing.
I just wanted to point out that there is some artificial portion of the demand that should not be there. The supply (constructions) would never keep up with these in any geographical area. Not just in the Bay Area. It would help a
I disagree. I see the problem the other way around. Restrictive building policies under the guise of environmentalism and NIMBYism are what keep the housing supply constrained and costs high.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM

6,555 posts, read 15,652,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I disagree. I see the problem the other way around. Restrictive building policies under the guise of environmentalism and NIMBYism are what keep the housing supply constrained and costs high.
The infrastructure can't support a lot more construction. Our freeways are already crumbling and over capacity as it is, we have packed trains and buses, there are sewage spills, and we don't even really have enough jobs for everyone here.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The infrastructure can't support a lot more construction. Our freeways are already crumbling and over capacity as it is, we have packed trains and buses, there are sewage spills, and we don't even really have enough jobs for everyone here.
That's what mass transit is for, which we need more of anyway in a world where gas is going to cost $4 or more per gallon. The sewage spills are being taken care of and are being reduced. In any case, we can pay to upgrade our sewers if we want to.

Constructing more homes would actually set off a positive ripple effect for the local economy, generating jobs in areas outside construction.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM

3,660 posts, read 4,685,361 times
Negatives about Silicon Valley? Not any, really that I can think of. Except like others have said the city is a little bland. Not many interesting neighborhoods.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 5,732,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Constructing more homes would actually set off a positive ripple effect for the local economy, generating jobs in areas outside construction.
Unfortunately, these would invariably be more cookie-cutter Legolands. Lots of money for something that looks exactly like a thousand others in a sterile, homogeneous planned community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose