U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,669,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Just remember: there are no boring place, only boring people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 AM

105 posts, read 171,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I've yet to meet any longtime resident here who finds that the overwhelming foreigner population is a positive thing. Most longtime residents find it to have negatively impacted their lives.
I don't know what's eligible "long term" but we (a white couple) lived for a few years in Fremont and loved it. Low crime index, good schools, excellent Indian and Asian restaurants, cheap Indian and Asian groceries, friendly services and intelligent neighbors. Except a couple of crazy (white) neighbors. Of course, how low crime and good schools could be compared to people with shopping carts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I work in the car business in Fremont. 80% of our customer base is Asian/Indian. I see daily firsthand their complete lack of knowledge of even basic driving principles. Many of them don't even know how to operate basic controls on their cars.
And if you were selling veggies, you would've claimed your customers don't know how to cook. I myself wouldn't get services from somebody who smiles and makes all proper greetings, but talks like that about their customers.

As for car services, we had an excellent Asian mechanic, cheap and very skilled. Things got worse when he hired a girl with no heavy accent, but arrogant like hell...

Last edited by whiterabbit2; 02-20-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 AM

7,290 posts, read 5,307,671 times
- Suburbia
- Unimaginative
- Boring
- Nothing to do
- Plain Vanilla
- Lack of community
- Sprawl
- Ugly "architecture"
- Non-Functional "downtown" (they ruined the once thriving up and down towns)
- Lack of culture (or culture of boredom)
- No people on the streets
- You get the feeling everyone is inside playing video games
- No romance
- No adventure
- Horrible traffic
- Bland people
- Isolation (everyone inside)
- Track housing (ticky-tacky and it all looks just the same)
- Strip malls, galore
- No activities for teens
- Hot as Hell, six months from April through September
- Poor air quality
- Other

Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 AM

7,755 posts, read 6,814,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
- Suburbia
- Unimaginative
- Boring
- Nothing to do
- Plain Vanilla
- Lack of community
- Sprawl
- Ugly "architecture"
- No romance
- No adventure
- Horrible traffic
- Bland people
- Strip malls, galore
- Poor air quality
- Other
You could have simply said you couldn't score in SJ, and we would have understood.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 AM

262 posts, read 227,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
- Suburbia
- Unimaginative
- Boring
- Nothing to do
- Plain Vanilla
- Lack of community
- Sprawl
- Ugly "architecture"
- No romance
- No adventure
- Horrible traffic
- Bland people
- Strip malls, galore
- Poor air quality
- Other
I hear you and agree about the bland people. Seems nobody is actually brave enough to express themselves (except for the gangsters). People seem to stay indoors from fear of encountering others.

homogenized people who dare not trek out to such dangerous territory as to socialize, wow. thanks for your post. It reminds me about what is wrong with the CA culture.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM

5,668 posts, read 10,258,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imclueless View Post
- Suburbia
- Unimaginative
- Boring
- Nothing to do
- Plain Vanilla
- Lack of community
- Sprawl
- Ugly "architecture"
- No romance
- No adventure
- Horrible traffic
- Bland people
- Strip malls, galore
- Poor air quality
- Other
It's funny how these comments are as plastic and tired as the culture which they allegedly aim to deride.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM

1,397 posts, read 2,149,844 times
-Suburbia...some people like suburbia
- Unimaginative...San Jose is located at the epicenter of one of the most creative regions in the world
- Boring...If you're a boring person who doesn't know how to not be bored
- Nothing to do...I always had plans and fun things to do on weekends when I lived there.
- Plain Vanilla...some people actually like the taste of vanilla
- Lack of community...some neighborhoods yes, some no
- Sprawl...this is true and can also apply to numerous cities and towns across the entire country
- Ugly "architecture"...yes and no. There are plenty of beautiful historic areas with great architecture.
- Non-Functional "downtown" (they ruined the once thriving up and down towns)...Somewhat true. Downtown seems to be a never-ending work in progress that never fully reaches its potential
- Lack of culture (or culture of boredom)...lack of culture is definitely not something that comes to mind when referring to San Jose
- No people on the streets...Depends on the neighborhood, just like any other city
- You get the feeling everyone is inside playing video games...I've never gotten that vibe.
- No romance...probably true.
- No adventure...How can a city be adventurous? Adventurous is a human trait...how could that be applied to a city?
- Horrible traffic...yes, but not as bad as some parts of the Bay Area
- Bland people...bland people exist everywhere. If you're seeing bland people everywhere, you probably attract those sort of people since you are probably bland yourself.
- Isolation (everyone inside)...depends on the neighborhood.
- Track housing (ticky-tacky and it all looks just the same)...true in some parts of town, not true in others.
- Strip malls, galore...same as many cities and towns across the country
- No activities for teens...I always found stuff to do as a teenager.
- Hot as Hell, six months from April through September...This makes me think you have no real personal knowledge about SJ. SJ has mild weather most of the year. Even the hottest summer months average in the high 70's to low 80's and rarely even reach into the 90's except during heat waves. April is definitely not hot and usually is a wet and cold month. Even May and June are somewhat cool months. SJ actually has near perfect weather.
- Poor air quality...Occasionally, but not even close to being that way most of the time.
- Other...how clever

Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

875 posts, read 481,535 times
I get the criticisms about San Jose. However, they should be taken in context:

-It's objectively a very expensive place to live, so it can be tough to create a budget that allows a comfortable lifestyle.

-It is very diverse culturally, but a lot of the immigrants are recent and so tend to stick with their own groups. Birds of a feather and such.

-There is a disproportionate number of introverted, not particularly social personalities here. This is due in part to the Silicon Valley engineering culture, but also because of the more general trend in older suburban areas that I've noticed towards a decline in community involvement.

-Suburbs tend to be rather boring places to live for a lot of people, especially people who aren't raising families.

-Additionally, because of all the major roads here and the rather urbanized nature of the suburbs here, it's not the best place to be outdoors, especially given the small size of most lots

-The highway/road system here doesn't help the already non-relaxed pace of life.

-Finally, the workaholic culture of the Silicon Valley and the SF Bay Area in general means work is more important than play for a lot of people (and makes for a lot of dullness, admittedly. )

So all these factors need to be considered in context.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM

7 posts, read 9,712 times
When I was interning for a tech company in San Jose I was considered "weird" because I did not go home and play computer games all night...this explains why the city is dead after the workday is over

Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM

563 posts, read 329,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post

-It is very diverse culturally, but a lot of the immigrants are recent and so tend to stick with their own groups. Birds of a feather and such.
Not only that but nearly all the Immigrants tend to live on the East Side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose