Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM

412 posts, read 1,152,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, that's true. But in the last 6 months or so it seems there have been more "moving to San Jose/SV" post than there have been the last few years.

But I do agree...I don't think SJ is going to be a fast growing city any more. We would need to build a lot of high density housing for that, and there are to many rules/people against it for that to happen.
Speaking that San Jose is about 170 square miles and they don't want to densify the city. IT's pretty sprawled around with short skyscrapers in downtown. Isn't the airport too close to downtown San Jose causing height restrictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Density exists without skyscrapers.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM

57 posts, read 230,980 times
I personally like that SJ is more laid back and not so hectic. I like having some space around me and not people on top of me. SF is not far away if we want to enjoy it for the weekend or hit up a game or two. To each their own...we didnt come to the south bay expecting NYC or Miami partying.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
we didnt come to the south bay expecting NYC or Miami partying.
Or getting mugged by crackheads or yelled at by crazy people or car getting jacked(SF).

Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
Speaking that San Jose is about 170 square miles and they don't want to densify the city. IT's pretty sprawled around with short skyscrapers in downtown. Isn't the airport too close to downtown San Jose causing height restrictions?
Yes, that's true. But density doesn't require skyscrapers. Paris, France is very dense with over 54,000 people per square mile, but it has relatively few skyscrapers.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I personally like that SJ is more laid back and not so hectic. I like having some space around me and not people on top of me. SF is not far away if we want to enjoy it for the weekend or hit up a game or two. To each their own...we didnt come to the south bay expecting NYC or Miami partying.
My biggest complaint is that there are so few "real" cities with real density anywhere in America. Every single metro area in America has plenty of suburban areas to choose from, but that isn't the case for those who want to live an urban lifestyle. You're restricted to just a handful of cities, and most of them are uber expensive. It's easy to say "to each his own" when you have a variety of suburban areas to choose from because you can easily get what you want in any part of the country.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think density automatically = hectic. It's about good planning, good mass transit, and good construction quality. America is terrible at all three.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 PM

412 posts, read 1,152,757 times
Quote:
Yes, that's true. But density doesn't require skyscrapers. Paris, France is very dense with over 54,000 people per square mile, but it has relatively few skyscrapers.
Oh that's right, they can replace single family homes with 4 to 6 homes (town homes) in one acre lot, for example. That's one other way to increase more people in a smaller space. That's what they are doing in Seattle. They replace few homes with several unit apartment complexes. I think Capitol Hill in Seattle has about 27,000 people per square mile, there is tons of apartments with mostly 2 to 3 stories tall.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 PM

26 posts, read 68,197 times
According to the article, demand wasn't determined by price but by who was searching for data on other cities. But then again, I still dispute both the premise and the conclusions of that article in Sunday's Burbed article.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
That's been covered elsewhere. In short, there are too many people of the same personality type here. Engineers/computer programmers dominate and they are not very outward/socially focused.
I know what you mean, being an Engineer I hear this a lot, but I'm not the Ted Kaczynski anti-social type. I have plenty of co-workers though that fit the bill, try saying good morning to them and they just look at you like a zombie.

At least I could land a higher paying job in the Bay Area, compared to NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose