U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You made some pretty extreme statements. SJ is a CITY. It's supposed to be crowded. It isn't all that densely populated compared to other large cities such as Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or even Oakland, not to mention cities like New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, and Boston.
I agree. If this poster is complaining about San Jose being too overcrowded and dirty, then they'd be absolutely miserable in New York, DC, Chicago, etc. San Jose is actually very pleasant and quiet from my point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM

5,627 posts, read 9,988,074 times
Are you that surprised that other people manage to be happy when you're obviously miserable wherever you go?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 PM

208 posts, read 250,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Are you that surprised that other people manage to be happy when you're obviously miserable wherever you go?

You know, thats really uncalled for and a prime example why I want to move away from jerks like you. I moved back to San Jose to take care of my parents who were ill and who have since passed on. I was extremely happy in San Diego where I lived for several years, also in S. Carolina where I had previously lived.
Its arrogant jerks like you that I find mostly live in the Bay Area and I cannot wait to get away from you all.
Enjoy the view from your head up your ass

Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,362,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
You know, thats really uncalled for and a prime example why I want to move away from jerks like you. I moved back to San Jose to take care of my parents who were ill and who have since passed on. I was extremely happy in San Diego where I lived for several years, also in S. Carolina where I had previously lived.
Its arrogant jerks like you that I find mostly live in the Bay Area and I cannot wait to get away from you all.
We encourage your quest for happiness in the next town. May you find a Pleasantville with like minds that better suits your needs.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM

60 posts, read 70,330 times
I will have to back calif408 on this. San Jose is nothing but suburbia and not even a nice one compared to towns such as Cupertino, Sunnyvale or Palo Alto. You name it.

San Jose has the problem as a "city" but it doesn't offer what a real city offers in terms of amenities. Please don't compare it to cities like New York, DC, Chicago. Not even close.

Pretty much all of the people I know in the the Bay Area prefer not to live in San Jose unless they have to. It its the general attitude even for the Bay Area to look down on San Jose.

As a rule of thumb, take those so called "lists" with a grain of salt. They rarely reflect the reality.

Remember a while back San Jose was ranked top 10 (or top 5) city with the best public transportation?

Ya. Right.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:04 AM

3,458 posts, read 5,433,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I agree. If this poster is complaining about San Jose being too overcrowded and dirty, then they'd be absolutely miserable in New York, DC, Chicago, etc. San Jose is actually very pleasant and quiet from my point of view.
...except calif408 is interested in moving to Idaho or Kentucky.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM

159 posts, read 190,996 times
As I recall San Francisco was in the top 4 which means the entire bay area is happy land. My point is that its not just about San Jose, you have to think outside the box and live outside the box. Its what the bay area has to offer to all who live here. San Francisco, Carmel, Half Moon Bay, Marin, Berkeley, Oakland, San Jose and the list goes on and on. I think that the OP is just frustrated with the high cost of housing, like alot who have since moved out.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 PM

14,087 posts, read 11,723,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_faithful View Post
I will have to back calif408 on this. San Jose is nothing but suburbia and not even a nice one compared to towns such as Cupertino, Sunnyvale or Palo Alto. You name it..
Cupertino & Palo Alto are nicer, but are even more crazy expensive than SJ. Even so, there are large swaths of SJ that are just as nice as places like Cupertino, and while the school districts might not be quite as good, there are a few that come reasonably close (I'm thinking of the Almaden Valley area). Sunnyvale? It's just as blah as SJ if not more so, and it's more expensive.

Quote:
San Jose has the problem as a "city" but it doesn't offer what a real city offers in terms of amenities. Please don't compare it to cities like New York, DC, Chicago. Not even close..
I think most San Joseans will concede SJ doesn't offer the amenities it should for a city its size. But as far as city problems such as crime & cleanliness go, SJ does well in that category. It not only beats larger cities like New York & Chicago, but also other cities that are generally considered "nice" such as Seattle, Denver, San Francisco, & Portland.

Quote:
Pretty much all of the people I know in the the Bay Area prefer not to live in San Jose unless they have to. It its the general attitude even for the Bay Area to look down on San Jose..
It's never going to beat places like SF because it's not on the water. But compare it to somewhere like Oakland, which has great potential because of its bayfront, but which has a lot more urban problems than SJ does. Other folks in the Bay Area do look down on SJ, especially San Franciscans. They have a point....but some are snobby about it. SJ is generally less pretentious than places like Palo Alto & SF, which is one thing I like about it.

Quote:
As a rule of thumb, take those so called "lists" with a grain of salt. They rarely reflect the reality..

Remember a while back San Jose was ranked top 10 (or top 5) city with the best public transportation?

Ya. Right.
I'd like to see a link to that one. I've never seen one of those lists saying SJ has good mass transit. It definitely doesn't and I think most folks in San Jose would admit that.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:33 PM

5,627 posts, read 9,988,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
Was this you refuting my claim that you're unhappy? You kinda missed the mark.
Quote:
I will have to back calif408 on this. San Jose is nothing but suburbia and not even a nice one compared to towns such as Cupertino, Sunnyvale or Palo Alto. You name it.

San Jose has the problem as a "city" but it doesn't offer what a real city offers in terms of amenities. Please don't compare it to cities like New York, DC, Chicago. Not even close.

Pretty much all of the people I know in the the Bay Area prefer not to live in San Jose unless they have to. It its the general attitude even for the Bay Area to look down on San Jose.

As a rule of thumb, take those so called "lists" with a grain of salt. They rarely reflect the reality.

Ya. Right.
Odd how everything you post contradicts your very username. And people in the bay look down on San Jose for the same reason they do SoCal, the sunnier and more pleasant half of this state.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,537,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
SJ is generally less pretentious than places like Palo Alto & SF, which is one thing I like about it.
You're obviously not taking into account Santana Row.....more like the Jersey Shore type of pretension vs the Palo Alto pseudo-intellectual type of pretension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose