Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 PM

239 posts, read 617,958 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in San Jose. I can honestly say after living several places in the US this is not the happiest place i have ever lived.
People are stuck up snobs or they are illegal and dont bother to learn english. San Jose sucks...apartments way too expensive ($1200 for a STUDIO?) I mean cmon, lets be real....San Jose is a ****hole lately....its dirty overcrowded and waaaay overpriced.
Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Agreed

Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif408 View Post
I was born and raised in San Jose. I can honestly say after living several places in the US this is not the happiest place i have ever lived.
People are stuck up snobs or they are illegal and dont bother to learn english. San Jose sucks...apartments way too expensive ($1200 for a STUDIO?) I mean cmon, lets be real....San Jose is a ****hole lately....its dirty overcrowded and waaaay overpriced.
Anyone else?
Well, if you're that thoroughly outraged about the place, then maybe it's the attitude of the observer more than the actual place itself.

Nix that, then maybe we can more fitfully analyze a city of nearly one million people and find that the citizenry don't so easily fit into the dichotomy of either "stuck up snobs or they are illegal and don't bother to learn english."

It's also just silly to call San Jose, CA, often called one of the cleanest (and safest) cities in the nation, "dirty" or a "****hole."

Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 AM

Big, Have you been downtown recently? Or out by Oakridge? I mean graffiti everywhere, those unfortunate people who are homeless seem to be on every corner. Most of the houses are in disarray unless you go to "nice" neighborhoods. Its really just a stepping stone city for people to be close to their jobs. Once they can afford it they move to Danville or Pleasanton, somewhere a little cleaner and alot smaller.
Im just very unsatisfied with quality of life in Ca period...Im actually moving out of state (again!) in about a month.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Big, Have you been downtown recently? Or out by Oakridge? I mean graffiti everywhere, those unfortunate people who are homeless seem to be on every corner.
I've been on foot training new staff throughout DTSJ every day for the past few weeks (and many years), and it ain't any worse than before. In fact, there are a good deal of new restaurants open, and storefronts about to open up after new businesses finish renovations. San Pedro Marketplace, for one, is an awfully nice addition to that area. The new apartment rises aren't exactly ghetto, either.

There isn't graffiti everywhere (we know - some of our groups volunteer to clean it up), and the homeless are always where you expect to find them, specific spots which number less than one has fingers on a hand.

Oakridge is cheesy - you can have that.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:10 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Anyone else?
This kinda seems like a troll post. I agree the rents are a rip off, though. The rest is total BS or is exaggerated.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Anyone else?
This poster has also posted in the Boise and Lexington (KY) fora. I think she is looking for someplace with a less hectic pace and simpler way of life. And yes, fewer snobs. I like the Bay--most days, anyway--but will fully concede that there are a ton of douches and princesses out here.

I've lived in the shadows of Lexington. I used to dog it, and while I don't really miss it, I've come to realize that it's actually a pretty nice city. (Now nearby Louisville and Cincinnati, those are different stories.)

I disagree that SJ is a craphole, however. Even with cutbacks in its police force and the increase in gang activity, it is still up there with Orange Co., San Diego, NoVA and Seattle as being one of the country's very safest cities. Some of it may be dirty, but so are parts of that beloved "safe" haven of "tolerant" progressivism, San Fransicko.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 AM

Im not "trolling" Im just stating my opinion that I really dont see SJ as being one of the happiest cities in the US. And yes, your research on me shows that I have posted in Lex & Boise....San Jose has absolutely nothing left for me. Im tired of the ridiculously high rents and overcrowding. I have found a 2br 2ba "luxury" apt for under $700/month.
I have been in san jose for about 30 years all together, went to school here, got my first job here, etc...I have watched it deteriorate throughout the years. Getting more and more crowded, more trash on the streets, and the traffic is crazy. Even on weekends.
So if passing on my view of my hometown is trolling then I guess Ill find a nice bridge to live under. Thats another thing I wont miss about SJ. Everyone is so touchy.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
I actually found San Jose to be very clean and it had a very suburbia feel..

Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Im not "trolling" Im just stating my opinion that I really dont see SJ as being one of the happiest cities in the US. And yes, your research on me shows that I have posted in Lex & Boise....San Jose has absolutely nothing left for me. Im tired of the ridiculously high rents and overcrowding. I have found a 2br 2ba "luxury" apt for under $700/month.
I have been in san jose for about 30 years all together, went to school here, got my first job here, etc...I have watched it deteriorate throughout the years. Getting more and more crowded, more trash on the streets, and the traffic is crazy. Even on weekends.
So if passing on my view of my hometown is trolling then I guess Ill find a nice bridge to live under. Thats another thing I wont miss about SJ. Everyone is so touchy.
I don't think we're touchy. We just don't agree with you.

You made some pretty extreme statements. SJ is a CITY. It's supposed to be crowded. It isn't all that densely populated compared to other large cities such as Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, or even Oakland, not to mention cities like New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, and Boston.

Like I said, I agree that rents are a rip off. You can thank the onerous red tape from the state & local governments as well as "environmentalist" NIMBYS that prevent new housing from being built for that. Of course if more housing was added which would help keep a lid on rents and home prices, you would probably complain even more bitterly about how crowded it is.

Dirty? SJ is pretty clean. I know parts of East SJ are dirty, but compared to bad neighborhoods in other large cities, East SJ still looks pretty good by comparison.

To an extent, I'll also agree with you on traffic. But of course, I'm willing to bet folks like yourself don't want to pay the taxes it would take for good mass transit options, even though it's abundantly clear that the freeway system is at capacity and has limited or no room for expansion.

In short, this area isn't the small town/rural/suburan area you grew up in. Sorry about that, but it's the way things go sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose