Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in the UK, and I will be relocating to US (San Jose, CA) within 2 months on an immigrant visa.
I am reading now the California Driver Handbook, and it seems to have strange requirements, that I would like to ask you about. I might need to book a session with an instructor for my driving test. The book is not very specific about the case of immigrating.

- It requires me to take a driving test, where I must present a local resident who has a local driving licence. Since I dont know any persons in the american continent yet, this would be difficoult. In the UK we go to this test with our driving instructor. Do I need to book my driving test with a driving school too? Do I really need an instructor or anyone be present with me if I have a full UK driving licence (not just a local provisional licence)? The provisional licence would require the other person, but the book assumes that everyone who goes on the test do not have a full foreign licence, so it states that I must present a local person with a local licence, and a provisional licence (instruction permit).

- Probably I dont need driving lessions, since I have a UK driving licence, and I will be using it while driving a rental car from my first day after arrival. Should I book a practice session with an instructor, for example for a mock test, or is it enough to have (UK) driving experience?

- The book also says I have to apply within 10 days (of what). How much time does it take from applying until getting a local licence? Can I keep using my UK licence until the CA licence arrives? In the UK from booking the test until the day of the actual driving test, it takes at least 3-4 weeks, how is it in San Jose California?

- They say they will "invalidate" my out-of-state driving licence. If they do, then I would not be allowed to drive or to transport anywhere until I receive a CA driving licence by post, that might take a long time. On the other hand my british driving licence is a british government document, no foreign (including US) personnel has any right to "take" it, but the people at DMV might not be aware of that and they might destroy my licence when I will be showing it to them. Right after relocating not having transportation would be a disaster, I will have to go to job interviews and to many other places.

- Do I need to get an "instruction permit", or my UK full licence is acceptable for during the driving test? Do I need to wait for weeks until this arrives by post to go on the driving test?

Probably a lot of people has experience with this, so please tell me about it.

Best regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 03:26 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
I did this a few years ago, if if I recall correctly you go to the DMV, show acceptable proof of ID and residency, take a written test and if all is accepted you surrender your foreign licence and get a temporary (paper) California licence on the spot. The proper laminated card will be mailed to you in a week or so.

You need to get your licence within 10 days of taking up residency, but they're terribly strict on that.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks.
The california driver handbook says the behind the wheel driving test is mandatory for out-of-country licence holders. So was it waived in your case? The book also says it is waived for other-state US residents/citizens, but mandatory for out of country...

"temporary (paper) California licence on the spot"
-is this the "instruction permit"? The one that requires a person who has a full california DL to sit with me at all times in my car. (like a learner driving permit)

" surrender your foreign licence "
-what is that mean? They take it and destroy it? Its against the UK law and it's a UK official document. This is a bigger problem if the temporary licence is not a full licence, or if i have to take a practical driving test at a later time, so then i would not have a valid licence until then.

do you need to book appointments days or weeks in advance (like in the UK) ?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 PM

53 posts, read 176,008 times
First of all I don't have any personal experience with rules in CA but as far as I know the basic rules are the same for all states in the US.

As far as I know, I think "gone down south" must be mixing it with procedures related to out-of-state license (meaning licence issued by a different US state). In that case all you need to do is to take the written test (usually no appointment needed) and to surrender your old licence.

With a foreign licence the situation is different. You should be able to use your out-of-country licence for about a year if you have a valid international driving licence (just a piece of paper, I'm sure you can get it in UK). But it is a good idea to get the state (CA) licence as soon as possible anyway (ID card, you will get a cheaper insurance, etc...).

You will be probably able to take the written test without an appointment but as you mentioned, you will have to take the driving test too. I believe you can go there with your foreign driving license and it shouldn't be a problem (they just don't want people to drive there without a valid licence, but you should confirm this with them first). When you pass the test you will not surrender your foreign licence (that really applies only to out-of-state licences).

Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
When people move between states and obtain a drivers licence in the new state the new state punches the old licence to show that it has been replaced by a new licence but return the punched licence back to you. When you have passed the new state's drivers licence tests you are issued a temporary licence immediately, the permanent licence will be mailed.

The driving test for immigrants is because many are accustomed to driving to the left, and some come from countries where driving is a competitive sport. Once you encounter a driver who learned in Japan (or in my opinion New Zealand) you will know what I am talking about. There are some countries that issue drivers licences without testing competency.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
My experience was from 10 years ago and in a different state, so things may have changed.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM

110 posts, read 269,876 times
I did this about 4 mths ago so can give you a good insight ( I also moved Uk to San Jose)

You must get a CA licence within 10 days of establishing residency, and to do your test normally you will need to have an SSN (it depends on what visa you have) . So first challenge is that its pretty much impossible to get an SSN within 10 days of residency (mine took 6 weeks).

You can just come and do the tests etc but if you have never driven in the USA it may be a good idea to get an hours lesson, also if you intend to rent a car for the behind the wheel you MUST tell them that you are using it for a driving test as a lot of the DMVs require a letter to show insurance (use enterprise as they do it no hassle)

Then

1. Book an appointment with the local DMV (I recommend Los Gatos) can do it online
2. You will pay a fee and 'show' them your Uk driving licence (dont give it to them and they shouldn't ask)
3. You will do an eye test and then be asked to do a multiple choice test (so yes read the drivers handbook)
4. If you pass the test you will be issued with a 90 day temporary licence that allows you to drive alone and you must pass your behind the wheel test in that 90 days (you can do it as many times as you can)
5. Book your behind the wheel test
6. Take it and hopefully pass and then you will be sent your CA licence in about 3-4 weeks

Any questions let me know, thanks

Also read my write up here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742133

Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM

thanks, nice detailed advice.
In the other-forum link you posted, people complaining about not having an SSN for weeks.
Someone on this forum told me that I get the SSN number on a printed paper immediately on my SSN appointment (which I will book for within 2 days of my arrival), then the SSN-CARD will arrive few weeks later. This number should be good enough (i hope) to have an appointment at DMV for the following day.

I'm planning on renting a car from Fox, as they seem to be the cheapest on monthly-rental for not too small cars. Maybe I will book a driving lession and the test with a driving school's car+instructor.

Tilz, how much did you have to wait for your practical test after booking it?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 176,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilz View Post
I did this about 4 mths ago so can give you a good insight ( I also moved Uk to San Jose)

You must get a CA licence within 10 days of establishing residency, and to do your test normally you will need to have an SSN (it depends on what visa you have) . So first challenge is that its pretty much impossible to get an SSN within 10 days of residency (mine took 6 weeks).
While you are right that you are supposed get the license in 10 days since you become a resident of CA, I don't think it really applies to the original poster (or almost any other foreign individual). CA DMV has pretty clear definition of "residency" here, (look for "new California residents"): California Driver Handbook - The California Driver License

There is a low chance that a newly arriving foreigner would fall into any of the listed categories (note that in US almost every agency defines residency differently, so you might still be resident for other purposes).

I've personally spent more than 200 days working in Ca with my out-of-state licence and never had any issues (even when I was pulled over by the cops).

Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
I would definitely take some lessons. Well worth the money.

A friend of mine recently relocated here from out the country and to those of us "natives," we are used to some of the idosyncracies here, but for those from a foreign place I think they're not obvious. It'd be annoying, to fail and retake. The less time one spends in the DMV the better, in my opinion! Plus you can only fail so many times without them instilling a waiting period (sorry, I don't have specifics).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose