Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
I'll go back to the car analogy. Cars both kill and injury people AND they are terrible for the environment. Why don't you guys start a petition to ban the use of all cars? But you won't because you can't imagine life without your car, right?

Computers allow for people to display the most silly, inane opinions to the world free of personal consequence, which can drive dopey gullible people to potentially be so swayed as to feel compelled to say and do stupid things. Should we ban computers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 AM

677 posts, read 835,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Computers allow for people to display the most silly, inane opinions to the world free of personal consequence, which can drive dopey gullible people to potentially be so swayed as to feel compelled to say and do stupid things. Should we ban computers?
No, we shouldn't ban computers, just like we shouldn't ban cars nor plastic bags. All three are very useful items to many people around the world who use them every day in their day-to-day lives. It's the people who go after plastic bags that have their priorities all screwed up. Cars are much more dangerous to people and harmful to the environment than plastic bags ever were, yet I don't see them trying to ban cars first.

There are very few things that I would ban. Among them are guns, alcohol, and cigarettes. I don't care much that people who use those 3 items can harm themselves, but I do care very much that those 3 items can harm OTHER PEOPLE. Oh, and I'm also all for banning the use of cell phones for talking and texting while driving. Again, I don't care much that people who use cell phones while driving kill themselves, but I do care very much that they may kill ME!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,143 times
I now shop in Campbell, Los Gatos, any where but San Jose. They used to ask paper or plastic, now they charge for paper. Prices are already high and I refuse to purchase a paper bag that at one time was an option. I hope San Jose loses a lot of tax revenue due to this stupid law. We did not have a say in this matter and I will not comply.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifRose View Post
We did not have a say in this matter and I will not comply.
Will you hold your breath and turn blue? Got vid? Who is "we", anyway? Our elected representatives? Something about democracy?

Thank you for freeing up space in our SJ markets. They get crowded, ya know. Cool unintended perk to this law.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifRose View Post
I now shop in Campbell, Los Gatos, any where but San Jose. They used to ask paper or plastic, now they charge for paper. Prices are already high and I refuse to purchase a paper bag that at one time was an option. I hope San Jose loses a lot of tax revenue due to this stupid law. We did not have a say in this matter and I will not comply.

How much extra gas do you use driving out of the city to save that dime?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Ten cents in gas goes about how far these days, maybe a hundred yards? : D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
I'm all for banning all the things that I don't like.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
Default Stop providing plastic bags but still use paper at $0

I don't think anyone is miffed about stores not supplying plastic bags. It is the suddenly charging for paper ones that gets me. Haven't they offered paper bags for years at no charge to take care of their customers? And why do we need a law for this?
Why don't they just simply stop buying the plastic bags and only use paper. Still taking care of their customers.

Oh and here is a thought. For every $25 dollars you spend with them why not give your customer a bag as a thank for shopping with you and get the free advertising of a thousands of folks using your bags everywhere.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Will you hold your breath and turn blue? Got vid? Who is "we", anyway? Our elected representatives? Something about democracy?

Thank you for freeing up space in our SJ markets. They get crowded, ya know. Cool unintended perk to this law.
I haven't noticed the Smart & Final on Hillsdale being any less crowded. And most people take their carts out to the car sans bags, just like they do at Costco anyway.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,192 times
My prediction : everyone will ***** about this for a few weeks, then eventually get used to bringing bags with them or paying a few extra cents for a paper bag. In a month, you won't even remember that they used to give you plastic bags.

End result, significantly fewer plastic bags being used. Paying for paper will make you stop and think if you really need a bag, so fewer paper bags will be consumed. Everyone wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose