U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
Default Moving to San Jose from TX

So unlike most of my neighbors, who moved from the Bay Area to Austin I'm thinking of doing the opposite and move *to* San Jose. I just wanted to get people's opinions on things like cost, school quality, things to do, etc. Right now i'm quite well settled in Austin but an interesting opportunity has opened up in San Jose (well Santa Clara, but looks like it's close enough). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 16,963 times
San jose is a very safe city. One of the safest in the nation according the Rankings. Even the East side is not a bad as people make it out to be.

Santa clara county has some of the best K-12 schools in the nation as well. There was a special on 20/20 which reported on people committing fraud just to get their kids into some of the schools here.

There is plenty to do in San Jose and much more in the Surrounding areas.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM

13,820 posts, read 11,368,333 times
Default Pros and Cons of San Jose / Silicon Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiva View Post
So unlike most of my neighbors, who moved from the Bay Area to Austin I'm thinking of doing the opposite and move *to* San Jose. I just wanted to get people's opinions on things like cost, school quality, things to do, etc. Right now i'm quite well settled in Austin but an interesting opportunity has opened up in San Jose (well Santa Clara, but looks like it's close enough). Thoughts?
As you may have already guessed, the biggest pros for San Jose are:

--Climate (about as warm as Austin in Winter, but much cooler in Summer (but not chilly like San Franicsco). Generally lots of sun, although there can be gloomy/rainy periods in winter and spring (although not this year).

--Geography. Not as nice as the immediate coast, but still beautiful and the coast isn't far away.

--Cultural diversity (Most see this as a plus, but it can be a drawback at tiems).

--Generally enough things to do. What SJ doesn't have, you can find in SF or the East Bay, both 1 hour away.

--Relatively low cime in SJ and throughout SV.

The biggest cons are:

--Cost of living, especially housing. Houses in good school districts are uber expensive. Even mediocre homes cost 500K or more. The high housing costs are often dealbreakers for those with kids. Those without kids who have decent paying jobs can usually swing the high housing costs more easily, but they still have to greatly reduce their expectations compared to other metro areas. Incomes here are higher, but not enough to make up for the cost of living. Rents have also been jacked up a lot over the last 2 years.

--Schools in general are not that great (so I'm told).

--Boring for a large metro area. A lot of people here are recent immigrants and they tend to stick with immediate family and extended family. A lot of engineers in this area means it's not particularly well balanced as far as personality types go...There aren't as many outgoing social typs in this area, and San Jose and SV are generally dull as a result. Many people in SV live to work, which also makes the area dull and sometimes stressful.

--Crowded by suburban standards, yet very few areas are dense enough for a true urban lifestyle. Public transit is generally lousy...so it's sort of a "worst of both words" scenario...Most have no choice but to drive in lots of traffic because mass transit doesn't meet their needs.

--Earthquake risk. Both The Bay Area and Sothern California are overdue for large earthquakes, bigger than the 1989 Loma Prieta quake.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:23 PM

3,471 posts, read 8,788,572 times
California state income tax = 9.3%
Texas state income tax = 0%

Old 04-08-2012, 11:31 PM

753 posts, read 803,704 times
Move to nearly anywhere but SJ.

SJ isn't a particularly dangerous city but it is both expensive to live in and so much of it is either bland, run down, or both. There are many third world immigrants here who are non-English-speaking, primitive, and insular. If you wanted to have a sense of community among such people, it would be difficult to do so.

A lot of the tax pool in SJ is poorly managed by our bloated city government who has made SJ an illegal alien sanctuary city. There is housing subsidization for low- and very low-income people who in many cases are those very illegal aliens. Thus, you will pay dearly to live in SJ while at the same time paying for the subsidized housing of illegal aliens. Seem counterintuitive? That's SJ.

You won't want to put your children in public schools because those schools have a high attendance of ESL students, so the curriculum has to be dumbed down. Parents who both live in SJ and care about their chilrdens' education are those who send their children to private school.

You generally have two options if you live in SJ:
  1. live in a cheaper part of SJ and send your children to private school
  2. live in a better part of SJ and probably still send your children to private school because schools in better neigbhorhoods will often allow kids from the ghettos to go to their schools in an effort to help the ghetto kids.. but then your children go to school with the ghetto kids.
Be advised that the better parts of central SJ are adjacent to run-down areas, including:
  • Willow Glen to Ghetto Glen
  • Shasta Hanchette to its south
  • Naglee Park to its east
Probably the only part of SJ that's well-insulated from run-down areas would be the Almaden Valley, though you'll find little-to-no historic architecture there if that matters to you. It has plenty of tract housing and very good access to the parks and lakes in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, though.

Thus I advise you to not move to SJ or if you do, live in the Almaden Valley and/or send your children to private school.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,941,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Move to nearly anywhere but SJ.

SJ isn't a particularly dangerous city but it is both expensive to live in and so much of it is either bland, run down, or both. There are many third world immigrants here who are non-English-speaking, primitive, and insular. If you wanted to have a sense of community among such people, it would be difficult to do so.

A lot of the tax pool in SJ is poorly managed by our bloated city government who has made SJ an illegal alien sanctuary city. There is housing subsidization for low- and very low-income people who in many cases are those very illegal aliens. Thus, you will pay dearly to live in SJ while at the same time paying for the subsidized housing of illegal aliens. Seem counterintuitive? That's SJ.

You won't want to put your children in public schools because those schools have a high attendance of ESL students, so the curriculum has to be dumbed down. Parents who both live in SJ and care about their chilrdens' education are those who send their children to private school.

You generally have two options if you live in SJ:
  1. live in a cheaper part of SJ and send your children to private school
  2. live in a better part of SJ and probably still send your children to private school because schools in better neigbhorhoods will often allow kids from the ghettos to go to their schools in an effort to help the ghetto kids.. but then your children go to school with the ghetto kids.
Be advised that the better parts of central SJ are adjacent to run-down areas, including:
  • Willow Glen to Ghetto Glen
  • Shasta Hanchette to its south
  • Naglee Park to its east
Probably the only part of SJ that's well-insulated from run-down areas would be the Almaden Valley, though you'll find little-to-no historic architecture there if that matters to you. It has plenty of tract housing and very good access to the parks and lakes in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains, though.

Thus I advise you to not move to SJ or if you do, live in the Almaden Valley and/or send your children to private school.

And yet you continue to live here

You should learn how to offer more constructive responses. There are almost a million people living in the city of SJ proper, and another 700-800k people living in the rest of Santa Clara county...many of whom are perfectly happy.

To the OP, SJ's #1 drawback is the cost of living- by far! If you can overcome that obstacle, then you can be perfectly happy here. Don't listen to sjnative's responses, since they're continually doomsday/glass half-empty opinions of San Jose. If you make any reasonable amount of money, you can be pretty well insulated against the negative qualities of San Jose that he mentioned, just like any other city. Most of San Jose is actually very nice and well-maintained and crime is quite low for a city of its size.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM

471 posts, read 687,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiva View Post
I am probably one of your neighbors -- I moved to Austin from San Jose 18 months ago. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, never thought I'd leave, and now that I'm here wish I had come much sooner.

The cost of living in SJ is very high. I think anyone who says it isn't is probably a native and doesn't realize how far the dollar goes in Austin. Housing prices are ridiculous, gas is considerably more expensive, the state has a nearly 10% income tax, and frankly everything else is more expensive, too - from housekeepers to dry cleaning to restaurants to car insurance to the cost of a coke in a vending machine. Moving to Austin has drastically changed the quality of my life and a lot of that is due to the fact that everything is just so much cheaper here. I thought that was mostly cliche until I moved here, but it is very true.

Also, I have nothing to good to say about the public schools in San Jose. My experience with them was a complete nightmare. We are currently in the Leander ISD here in Austin, and the public schools here are comparable to the private schools in CA. We had to take our son out of the public school penitentiary, er, system and enroll him in private school, which was just another cost to living in California. $12k a year for first grade sucks, and you can get a lot more expensive than that. The public school is a joke - a sad, cruel joke. And let me say a word about the students, as well. In San Jose, there are a lot of good kids, but tons of wannabe thugs, bullies, and kids who dress like they think they are rappers. In Austin, the kids are almost to a one clean cut, polite, and say "sir" and "ma'am." Those are two words you will never hear come out of California kids' mouth.

As far as things to do, the Bay Area probably has Austin beat hands down in this one. There are considerably more things to do and more places to see than Central Texas. Of course, many of those things you also have to pay for, but they are at least available. Then again, if you are a typical Austinite who gets by on outdoor activities instead of paid events, there may be less of a difference.

I grew up in Marin, and it is absolutely gorgeous up there (if you can afford it!). I also lived for more than 10 years in San Jose, and it is rather lacking in natural beauty. Aside from Willow Glen and a few other tiny pockets of cuteness, San Jose is a vast cement suburbia with very little culture (at least compared to some of the more culture-rich parts of the Bay Area) and even less beauty.

Other factors to consider:
-Traffic. Here in Austin, everyone complains about the terrible traffic. But compared to California traffic, it is nothing. Hwy 101 or 85 during rush hour make I-35 in rush hour look like the Autobahn.

-Friendliness of people. I have found the people of Austin to be unusually friendly, at least compared to the Bay Area. I'm not saying there aren't great people in the Bay Area - there are - but everyone is caught up in the rat race and the long work hours, and there is almost an attitude of "sorry, we don't have any openings in our social circle, but if you'd like to get on the waiting list..." In Austin, everyone in line at the grocery store will cheerily talk up the cashier even after they have paid, and no one minds. Try that in the Bay Area and everyone behind you in line will be giving you the "move it along, a-hole" look, and a few might even say it out loud.

-The future. IMO, Austin is a growing vibrant city in a state with a very healthy economy, huge growth potential, and is very business friendly. Meanwhile, California is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, with an aging infrastructure, an anti-business attitude, and horrible illegal immigration problems that are only matched in Texas' border towns. I feel like I left California just in time. As bad as I paint it (and I am obviously biased) I think it will be 2-3 times worse in 10 years.

There is a saying I've heard here in Austin: Anytime someone moves from Austin to California, the average IQs of *both* states go up. Sounds about right.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM

753 posts, read 803,704 times
I encourage the OP to rent upon arriving in the Silicon Valley and then visit the areas where s/he is interested in living. Upon doing so, the OP might see things as I do, or not, but I would hate for the OP to have a rude awakening after buying a charming early-20th century house in central SJ and then see that the neighborhood park is frequented by thugs or illegal immigrants from the ghetto down the street.

I sympathize with the people who live near Bramhall or William Street parks as the former and likely also the latter becomes positively mobbed with illegal immigrants on Summer weekends. Wallenberg Park draws hoodlums from Ghetto Glen. What can the residents near those parks do about it? Nothing.

I still pitch the AV as being the best bet in SJ, just because it is geographically isolated.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 9,330 times
Austin is rated 5th in the Top 10 drunkest cities in the Nation. Fresno is no. 1. I wonder what statistics of the drink and drive related accidents in Austin are like in a pop. of 28,000. Then again, DUI laws are less harsh in TX then in CA.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM

563 posts, read 297,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I am probably one of your neighbors -- I moved to Austin from San Jose 18 months ago. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, never thought I'd leave, and now that I'm here wish I had come much sooner.

The cost of living in SJ is very high. I think anyone who says it isn't is probably a native and doesn't realize how far the dollar goes in Austin. Housing prices are ridiculous, gas is considerably more expensive, the state has a nearly 10% income tax, and frankly everything else is more expensive, too - from housekeepers to dry cleaning to restaurants to car insurance to the cost of a coke in a vending machine. Moving to Austin has drastically changed the quality of my life and a lot of that is due to the fact that everything is just so much cheaper here. I thought that was mostly cliche until I moved here, but it is very true.

Also, I have nothing to good to say about the public schools in San Jose. My experience with them was a complete nightmare. We are currently in the Leander ISD here in Austin, and the public schools here are comparable to the private schools in CA. We had to take our son out of the public school penitentiary, er, system and enroll him in private school, which was just another cost to living in California. $12k a year for first grade sucks, and you can get a lot more expensive than that. The public school is a joke - a sad, cruel joke. And let me say a word about the students, as well. In San Jose, there are a lot of good kids, but tons of wannabe thugs, bullies, and kids who dress like they think they are rappers. In Austin, the kids are almost to a one clean cut, polite, and say "sir" and "ma'am." Those are two words you will never hear come out of California kids' mouth.

As far as things to do, the Bay Area probably has Austin beat hands down in this one. There are considerably more things to do and more places to see than Central Texas. Of course, many of those things you also have to pay for, but they are at least available. Then again, if you are a typical Austinite who gets by on outdoor activities instead of paid events, there may be less of a difference.

I grew up in Marin, and it is absolutely gorgeous up there (if you can afford it!). I also lived for more than 10 years in San Jose, and it is rather lacking in natural beauty. Aside from Willow Glen and a few other tiny pockets of cuteness, San Jose is a vast cement suburbia with very little culture (at least compared to some of the more culture-rich parts of the Bay Area) and even less beauty.

Other factors to consider:
-Traffic. Here in Austin, everyone complains about the terrible traffic. But compared to California traffic, it is nothing. Hwy 101 or 85 during rush hour make I-35 in rush hour look like the Autobahn.

-Friendliness of people. I have found the people of Austin to be unusually friendly, at least compared to the Bay Area. I'm not saying there aren't great people in the Bay Area - there are - but everyone is caught up in the rat race and the long work hours, and there is almost an attitude of "sorry, we don't have any openings in our social circle, but if you'd like to get on the waiting list..." In Austin, everyone in line at the grocery store will cheerily talk up the cashier even after they have paid, and no one minds. Try that in the Bay Area and everyone behind you in line will be giving you the "move it along, a-hole" look, and a few might even say it out loud.

-The future. IMO, Austin is a growing vibrant city in a state with a very healthy economy, huge growth potential, and is very business friendly. Meanwhile, California is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, with an aging infrastructure, an anti-business attitude, and horrible illegal immigration problems that are only matched in Texas' border towns. I feel like I left California just in time. As bad as I paint it (and I am obviously biased) I think it will be 2-3 times worse in 10 years.

There is a saying I've heard here in Austin: Anytime someone moves from Austin to California, the average IQs of *both* states go up. Sounds about right.
What district did your kids go to in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose