Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM

53 posts, read 90,949 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone and thanks for all the great information that I have been reading on here. I am a young single male who is from the country in western MA. I hate the cold and snow and rain and humidity and isolation and I want to live in CA.
I have only visited briefly twice but I didn't want to leave. I was in Santa Cruz, San Jose, And San Francisco. Im attracted to the city, the sun and warmth, the laid back lifestyle, and girls. Jobs, crime, transportation are not issues for me. Im just trying to figure out the perfect spot for me. So far Im considering, LA area, San diego, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa. I want sun, warmth, friendly people, fun stuff to do(clubs, bars, concert venues), laid back attitude (I hate stress and stressful fast paced people always in a hurry. I am the epidomy of a laid back californian even though Im from such a different place). I want access to the countyside or the ocean or both. I want access to good food and fresh organic produce. I don't mind driving from one city to the next say San Jose to Oakland or SF for entertainment, but I want to live in a city not isolated in the county like I do now (13000 people in my hick ass town). I love motorcylces and want good places to ride and to do it most of the year (i'm sure anywhere is better than here with 6 plus months of cold winter). I want single fun girls to flirt with. I don't care about jobs because I will find something to do for income. Im already a real estate investor here. So which of these city's and others should I consider or not consider moving to and why, LA, San Diego, Santa Cruz, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, Santa Rosa. Thanks Cali people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Santa Cruz county meets all of your criteria.
Don't limit yourself to Santa Cruz proper.
Santa Cruz County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santa Rosa? Maybe although it sounds like you want to be closer to a major city and it may not meet your social / nightlife requirements to the extent that you'd like.

San Francisco is great if you want to live in the city.
Oakland? Why?

Sacramento? Again, why? It's very hot in the summer and the air quality isn't good and it's quite far from the ocean and unless you have work, family or friends there i don't understand why you're considering it.

San Jose? Why? It's o.k.. (sorry) but why live on the eastern side of the S.C. mountains if you can live on the coast since it sounds like you want to be near the ocean?

Do you realize how incredibly expensive these places are?
Have you looked at craigslist to see what the average cost of a rental is?
You may want to do that.
Sacramento will be the least expensive and i don't know it well but i'm imagining that the parts of Oakland that are relatively affordable may not be where you'll want to be.

btw, you may want to drop the "cali" thing.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM

264 posts, read 831,475 times
You need to have some idea of what your budget is...but for a single guy...young, 20's I assume?

I would probably echo the other poster and say Santa Cruz..you are looking for a laid back vibe this will be most laid back IMO and within reasonable affordability for just about anyone. You have ucsc right there so you will have a good singles crowd if you are looking for girls around that age. Although..Santa Cruz is a bit isolated in itself... You might be best off in southern California if you are looking for laid back with more of a real city feel. I'd say San Diego over L.A. due to cost and vibe you are probably looking for.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
You need to have some idea of what your budget is...but for a single guy...young, 20's I assume?

I would probably echo the other poster and say Santa Cruz..you are looking for a laid back vibe this will be most laid back IMO and within reasonable affordability for just about anyone. You have ucsc right there so you will have a good singles crowd if you are looking for girls around that age. Although..Santa Cruz is a bit isolated in itself... You might be best off in southern California if you are looking for laid back with more of a real city feel. I'd say San Diego over L.A. due to cost and vibe you are probably looking for.
Santa Cruz county is very expensive. There is no "reasonable affordability" about it. Affordable rentals are not easy to find ... even dumpy ones.
That's why i asked the o.p. if he was aware of the costs of rentals in the various communities that he's considering.
Also, i don't find Santa Cruz to be isolated but of course it's relative.
I would actually feel much more isolated in Sacramento or Santa Rosa.
San Jose is barely a half hour from S.C. during non-commuter times and S.F. is 2 hours give or take. And Santa Cruz is a small city within a relatively vibrant county.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Your income almost singly will be what predetermines where you can live.

Also, you would be better off if you stopped viewing CA and Californians through stupid east coast-held CA stereotypes. CA's metros, esp SF, are expensive places to live and there is stiff competition for the best jobs. You'll be competing with people from all over the world for the best tech and generally for white collar jobs and both unskilled labor and blue collar jobs are dominated by illegal immigrants who simply underprice everyone else.

I suggest you stop being so naive and provincial and realize that living in CA is different from vacationing here.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 AM

11 posts, read 27,197 times
Come to Orange County . You can afford it .

Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
Im just trying to figure out the perfect spot for me. So far Im considering, LA area, San diego, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa. I want sun, warmth, friendly people, fun stuff to do(clubs, bars, concert venues), laid back attitude (I hate stress and stressful fast paced people always in a hurry. I am the epidomy of a laid back californian even though Im from such a different place). I want access to the countyside or the ocean or both.
Well you can scratch Sacramento off the list because it's not close to the ocean.

For the sun and warmth, southern California definitely has it.
Northern California does too, in the summer months (May - October), but the winters are chilly, although it's not bad and it doesn't snow. I see people skating at our local skate parks throughout the year.

So I think you're best choices would be San Diego, L.a. and San Jose.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 AM

109 posts, read 300,079 times
Oakland sounds like a good fit for you. Despite what most people on this board will say, there are some pretty awesome places in that city that are reasonable. Lot's of young people and plenty to do. Warmer than SF, but not too warm. Lot's of nearby hiking and windy roads for motorcycles. Lots of CSA options for organic produce. Great farmers markets all over the city on different days. Good restuarants that are cheaper than SF. All in all, a great place. I would recommend.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy from MA View Post
Hi everyone and thanks for all the great information that I have been reading on here. I am a young single male who is from the country in western MA. I hate the cold and snow and rain and humidity and isolation and I want to live in CA.
I have only visited briefly twice but I didn't want to leave. I was in Santa Cruz, San Jose, And San Francisco. Im attracted to the city, the sun and warmth, the laid back lifestyle, and girls. Jobs, crime, transportation are not issues for me. Im just trying to figure out the perfect spot for me. So far Im considering, LA area, San diego, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, and Santa Rosa. I want sun, warmth, friendly people, fun stuff to do(clubs, bars, concert venues), laid back attitude (I hate stress and stressful fast paced people always in a hurry. I am the epidomy of a laid back californian even though Im from such a different place). I want access to the countyside or the ocean or both. I want access to good food and fresh organic produce. I don't mind driving from one city to the next say San Jose to Oakland or SF for entertainment, but I want to live in a city not isolated in the county like I do now (13000 people in my hick ass town). I love motorcylces and want good places to ride and to do it most of the year (i'm sure anywhere is better than here with 6 plus months of cold winter). I want single fun girls to flirt with. I don't care about jobs because I will find something to do for income. Im already a real estate investor here. So which of these city's and others should I consider or not consider moving to and why, LA, San Diego, Santa Cruz, San Jose, Oakland, Sacramento, Santa Rosa. Thanks Cali people
Do you have a trust fund or something? You talk as if you have one. The reality of living here day to day is much more difficult than vacationing here. CA may not be like the East coast, but it isn't all that laid back, either, especially if you have to work for a living. Even if money is no object for you, it will be for most other people you meet here.

FYI, that's spelled "e-p-i-t-o-m-e". And people who actually live in California rarely refer to their state as "Cali".

Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM

53 posts, read 90,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Santa Cruz county meets all of your criteria.
Don't limit yourself to Santa Cruz proper.
Santa Cruz County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santa Rosa? Maybe although it sounds like you want to be closer to a major city and it may not meet your social / nightlife requirements to the extent that you'd like.

San Francisco is great if you want to live in the city.
Oakland? Why?

Sacramento? Again, why? It's very hot in the summer and the air quality isn't good and it's quite far from the ocean and unless you have work, family or friends there i don't understand why you're considering it.

San Jose? Why? It's o.k.. (sorry) but why live on the eastern side of the S.C. mountains if you can live on the coast since it sounds like you want to be near the ocean?

Do you realize how incredibly expensive these places are?
Have you looked at craigslist to see what the average cost of a rental is?
You may want to do that.
Sacramento will be the least expensive and i don't know it well but i'm imagining that the parts of Oakland that are relatively affordable may not be where you'll want to be.

btw, you may want to drop the "cali" thing.
I know they are expensive and thats why I say Sacramento because It is cheaper than the Bay Area. Also Sac is closer to the Ocean than I am now and I like hot weather. Bad air quality is a concern though. Oakland because the weather is better the SF and because it is a good central location for the bay area. And San Jose because it is warmer and dryer that Santa Cruz but its close. Thanks for the input. Cali? is that offensive or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose