Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM

80 posts, read 215,103 times

Advertisements

Alviso is so close to high tech jobs, major freeways, and recreation sites. I visit this tiny community at least twice a month and feel this community has great potential in the long run when Cisco owned land and Plant Master Plan Land Use Alternatives (www.rebuildtheplant.org) well developed.

There are many vacant lots available for building new homes and prices are considered cheap, I plan to shop one but my concern is how much to build it, do you have idea about construction cost?

Ground floor: 1800 sq. ft. for storage, activity room, parking and indoor stairs.
1st floor: 1800 sq. ft., one great room, dining area, kitchen, one master suite, two bedrooms with one full bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM

4,568 posts, read 6,279,448 times
Admittedly, it was a long time ago, and I left the area a long time ago, but growing up in SJ, Alviso always had this unpleasant image hanging over it....could it still be afflicted by this negative image, thus the "cheap" vacant lot prices...or have things changed ? As I recall, Alviso's major inhabitants were weekend boat builders, attracted by access to the sloughs and cheap warehouse space.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,259,349 times
Show your plans to 3 contractors. You'll know pretty darn quick.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,800,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Admittedly, it was a long time ago, and I left the area a long time ago, but growing up in SJ, Alviso always had this unpleasant image hanging over it....could it still be afflicted by this negative image, thus the "cheap" vacant lot prices...or have things changed ? As I recall, Alviso's major inhabitants were weekend boat builders, attracted by access to the sloughs and cheap warehouse space.

Regards
Gemstone1
Some people who have had property in the family for generations, working class predominantly Hispanic people, with some tech workers moving into new units make up most of the population. There are enough old places in disrepair to foment an image of a rundown old little town, keeping land costs down. A good place to invest, as long as it doesn't flood again. Could turn into a goldmine some day...with the proximity of Cisco, it's surprising it hasn't already.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,039,545 times
I was just looking at the area on Zillow - wife and I are beginning preliminary shopping around for a house, and the area seems like it could be promising... Have mostly been scoping out the West San Jose area...

Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,247,704 times
Why anyone would want to live in Alviso is beyond me. Yes, it is close in proximity to many tech jobs, but using that logic, why not somewhere like East Palo Alto?

It is affordable, but the schools are not good, it is prone to major flooding, the stench in that area is terrible, I wouldn't feel particularly safe walking there at night, and I could go on and on.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,800,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I wouldn't feel particularly safe walking there at night
Seriously. You're afraid of walking at night in...Alviso. That thing that follows you on the ground is your shadow, not a person.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,021,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Seriously. You're afraid of walking at night in...Alviso. That thing that follows you on the ground is your shadow, not a person.
No kidding! I don't care for Alviso myself, but the last thing that comes to my mind about it is unsafe. My friends and I used to hang out in the marina parking lot all the time late at night in our early 20's and were never the slightest bit worried about our safety. Most of North San Jose is a ghost town late at night.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM

80 posts, read 215,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Why anyone would want to live in Alviso is beyond me. Yes, it is close in proximity to many tech jobs, but using that logic, why not somewhere like East Palo Alto?

It is affordable, but the schools are not good, it is prone to major flooding, the stench in that area is terrible, I wouldn't feel particularly safe walking there at night, and I could go on and on.

Alviso students attend the following schools:

George Mayne Elementary, API score in 2011 was 842, increased 31 from 2010. Ranked 9th in 16 elementary schools of Santa Clara Unified School District.

Don Callejon School, a California Distinguished School, API scroe in 2011 was 858, better than Bushser Middle (799), Juan Cabrillo Middle (756) but lower than Marian A. Petterson Middle (863) in Santa Clara Unified School District.

Adrian Wilcox High Schoo, API score in 2011 was 777, not so great but it is the best in Santa Clara Unified School District.

Alviso students attend above average schools in entire Santa Clara Unified School District but no paying much in housing.

You can get more idea about the future of Alviso from this material:

http://www.rebuildtheplant.org/external/content/document/1823/1334471/1/Attachment%20C%20Draft%20Executive%20Summary.pdf

Last edited by Cornhusker_CA; 04-16-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM

36 posts, read 86,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker_CA View Post
Alviso students attend the following schools:

George Mayne Elementary, API score in 2011 was 842, increased 31 from 2010. Ranked 9th in 16 elementary schools of Santa Clara Unified School District.

Don Callejon School, a California Distinguished School, API scroe in 2011 was 858, better than Bushser Middle (799), Juan Cabrillo Middle (756) but lower than Marian A. Petterson Middle (863) in Santa Clara Unified School District.

Adrian Wilcox High Schoo, API score in 2011 was 777, not so great but it is the best in Santa Clara Unified School District.

Alviso students attend above average schools in entire Santa Clara Unified School District but no paying much in housing.

You can get more idea about the future of Alviso from this material:

http://www.rebuildtheplant.org/external/content/document/1823/1334471/1/Attachment%20C%20Draft%20Executive%20Summary.pdf

Remember don callejon 858 is only because of its elementary. Its middle school is very very bad .. maybe 3/10. rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose