Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times

Advertisements

I'm finding it difficult to find clear information on when a permit is required for a home improvement project in San Jose. If I go to the sjpermits.org web site, I see permits listed for things as minor as "replace appliance" and "replace electrical switch". After a little digging around, I found that as long as the existing electrical box was being reused, you didn't need a permit to change a switch or outlet (thank heavens). But I can't find out when a permit is required for an "appliance replacement". Surely I don't need a permit to replace my refrigerator???

I also found out that I wouldn't need a permit to pour a concrete deck, but would need one if I built a patio cover or pergola that was attached to the house (but wouldn't need one if it was free standing, and below a certain size). But it took a good 20 minutes of digging around to find that information. Is there an easier way to find out when a permit is needed.

The projects I have in mind are:

1) Extend/install gas line to laundry area in garage so I can use a gas clothes dryer (gas water heater is near laundry area but not sure existing gas line is large enough to support both appliances). Believe permit is needed.
2) Pour concrete deck and install patio cover or pergola. Permit needed for attached patio cover/pergola.
3) Install A/C onto existing central forced air heat (gas furnace). Unsure whether I will have to upgrade to 200amp service (think I may have enough spare capacity from the pool equipment that is no longer needed since pool was demoed). HVAC contractor will handle permits for me?
4) Replace gas cooktop in existing kitchen island. Unsure of permits required.
5) Eventually, complete kitchen remodel with new appliances, but leaving appliances and fixtures in existing locations, except enlarging and relocating kitchen island a couple feet and possibly adding a second sink to it. I'm guessing permits are required for relocating gas and electric, and adding plumbing.

Any help on this is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
As long as your neighbors aren't jerks, you shouldn't need any permits.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Anything requiring moving (or rerouting) a gas line requires a permit (anywhere in CA I believe).

If you're hiring a contractor, they should know whether a permit is required for a given job or not and they would pull the appropriate permit(s).

Even though you might be able to get away with doing things without a permit, when it comes time to sell your home, you would be obligated to disclose what you've done without a permit. Lenders these days are actually inquiring about permits in their approval process and I've seen a couple of deals go down in flames where the permits weren't finaled.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 29,374 times
You need permits for all of the work. Only a hack would tell you otherwise. I am not trying to critize your attempt to reasearch the matter, just the opposite in fact, I applaud it. BE VERY WARY of any contractor or craigslist type that tells you otherwise. I am often amazed at the risks people will take on homes that are approaching a million dollar investment. Your life and likely your largest single investment are really not worth "saving" a 1,000.00 on are they? I've spent the last 30 years retracing the work of owners and contractors that were "saving" money! Look at it this way if you can't afford to build it right the first time how can you afford to build it twice?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
I was pretty certain permits were required for all of the projects I listed. It was more of the really minor stuff that I had questions about: replacing a gas cooktop for example, where the connection would be made to the existing gas line already in use. I am actually still in the process of finding a new home and have seen listings for homes with garage conversions and additions that I'm sure were done without permits, and I'm not even going to consider them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: