Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times

Advertisements

There's the Sunday morning farmers market in Japantown, on 6th & Jackson. It's easy to get to tthe Japantown/Ayer Light Rail station, but you could probably even walk there from downtown. There's also Nijiya Market on 5th & Jackson, but it's a bit pricey.

If you're feeling a bit adventurous, you could take the 22/522 bus over to the Korean grocery stores on El Camino Real. It's a straight line down Santa Clara/El Camino Real. It might be more of a pain to lug groceries back on the bus than the light rail, but they have high quality and inexpensive produce and seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
If you're feeling a bit adventurous, you could take the 22/522 bus over to the Korean grocery stores on El Camino Real. It's a straight line down Santa Clara/El Camino Real. It might be more of a pain to lug groceries back on the bus than the light rail, but they have high quality and inexpensive produce and seafood.
Just looked this up. I had no idea about the Korean supermarkets--this is great to know! Now I kind of wish I could bring my car. Looks like it would take me an hour on the bus just to get there. I don't know, I might still do it from time to time .

Btw, your username sounds very familiar; I think I may have PM'd you sometime last year on a certain GMAT forum. Anyway, thanks again.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMachine View Post
I'm moving to San Jose in a few weeks to start grad school at SJSU. I'll be living about a block away from campus, but I'm not bringing my car (I currently live in the LA/Inland Empire area), so I've been looking into grocery stores that are within walking distance(!) or more reasonably, somewhat accessible via public transportation. I have no doubt it's going to be inconvenient, but I'll have to manage!

Here is what I have so far:

Downtown area - Safeway, Dai Thanh Supermarket
San Pedro Square Market - Farmer's market every Saturday
Market Center - Trader Joe's, Target
The Plant Shopping Center - Grocery Outlet, Target

Obviously, I will eventually end up going to one or two of these places to get most of my shopping done... I'm just looking for more options at this point.

Do you guys have any recommendations, or advice in general for navigating without a car? Safeway is really conveniently located in downtown but seems (understandably) limited in selection and pricey. I wouldn't mind venturing out a bit more if I can save some $$...
There is also an Asian Grocery store on South 1st or 2nd Streets (I forget which). It's just south of San Carlos.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I don't recall there being grocery stores close to any light-rail stops, except possibly the Snell station which is almost at the end of the line. Your milk would be warm by the time you got home.
The downtown Safeway is near light rail

Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Which is such a shame. I found them cheaper and better quality than Safeway.
Really? I found them overpriced without the usual things I buy. I guess it depends on the stuff you buy.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 3,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There is also an Asian Grocery store on South 1st or 2nd Streets (I forget which). It's just south of San Carlos.
I think that might be Dai Thanh, on 2nd and San Carlos. Very well within walking distance for me, just a few blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose