Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM

65 posts, read 86,752 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

In 10 weeks I plan on graduating from college and starting my first real job. The company I will work for is giving me money and allowing me to figure the rest out on my own. Most of the possessions I have are "college stuff" so I plan to sell them or give them away and start the next stage of my life out with a clean slate.

In the mean time, I need to figure out some basic things, like where to live. Because of when I graduate and my job starts, I don't have the time to "tour" apartments.

I've been thinking of finding reputable apartment communities and doing a six month lease so I have some where to live when I land. My girlfriend thinks I should stay in a hotel, and then find a place. Anyone have any suggestions? They would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 PM

160 posts, read 454,527 times
Oak wood apts on Saratoga and 280

They come furnished and in a great location

Th

Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
What a wonderful place to be in life!

You will need to provide more info if you want folks to help you, but in general your girlfriend is right about staying in a hotel for a while to get the feel for the area. I am from N.E. Ohio and living here is nice. You also need to see how you fit into your new job so just take a deep breath and take one step at a time.

What is your budget going to be? Is your girlfirend going to join you? Some people like to do a reverse commute and live in the City (S.F) and work in the South Bay as CalTrain makes an easy commute. How close to work do you want to be? What relocation assistance is available to you through your employer? Are you willing to share a room with someone or do you want to live by yourself for a while?

Santa Clara also has a very large muslim school so it can get crowded in that area when classes are letting out.

Also, there are many, many threads available for people moving to this area so read them also as most of your questions probably have been answered already.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Another option besides the furnished corporate apt is to stay at one of those "extended-stay" motels/hotels/inns while you look for apts.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony052007 View Post
Hi Everyone,

In 10 weeks I plan on graduating from college and starting my first real job. The company I will work for is giving me money and allowing me to figure the rest out on my own. Most of the possessions I have are "college stuff" so I plan to sell them or give them away and start the next stage of my life out with a clean slate.

In the mean time, I need to figure out some basic things, like where to live. Because of when I graduate and my job starts, I don't have the time to "tour" apartments.

I've been thinking of finding reputable apartment communities and doing a six month lease so I have some where to live when I land. My girlfriend thinks I should stay in a hotel, and then find a place. Anyone have any suggestions? They would be appreciated.
You haven't told us your rent budget. Rents here are very high and have gone up a lot the last few years. There have been limited vacancies.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You haven't told us your rent budget. Rents here are very high and have gone up a lot the last few years. There have been limited vacancies.
Right on! Your rent will be twice whatever you're paying in Ohio - maybe more!

Old 05-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Hi All,

I'm not exactly sure how to budget my money now. I'm going to make about $3000 a month after taxes, and I have the possibility of earning more, but I'm not sure how much more. As of right now, my only bills will be my living expenses (food, utilities, and internet).

My girlfriend is looking for a job in the area, but is having some troubles. She wants to find a job where she can use her degree, and she graduates a bit after I will. So hopefully, things will work such that she will come.

I really want A/C, dishwasher, washer dryer (either hook ups, or in unit), and we have her dog which is 3lbs.

The company does not offer relocation assistance, and is located where Bayshore Freeway intersects Lawrence Expressway. I really don't want more than a 10-15 min drive.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm not exactly sure how to budget my money now. I'm going to make about $3000 a month after taxes, and I have the possibility of earning more, but I'm not sure how much more. As of right now, my only bills will be my living expenses (food, utilities, and internet).

My girlfriend is looking for a job in the area, but is having some troubles. She wants to find a job where she can use her degree, and she graduates a bit after I will. So hopefully, things will work such that she will come.

I really want A/C, dishwasher, washer dryer (either hook ups, or in unit), and we have her dog which is 3lbs.

The company does not offer relocation assistance, and is located where Bayshore Freeway intersects Lawrence Expressway. I really don't want more than a 10-15 min drive.
Look on Craigslist, that's what I have been doing, but be careful, some scammers use it to lure you into their trap. At least it will give you an idea. To be honest your going to be struggling on $3K take home a month with the high rents out there, you will probably be forced to rent something not so nice, lowest I see is $1295/month with no washer/dryer in the unit. That seems to cost even more $.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Hi All,

IMO, your expectations are way out of whack with reality. At that income level, you are going to be living payday to payday or will be going in debt if you get your own apartment. You'd be better off renting a room until you make more money. The rent hikes have been brutal and relentless the last few years. You're setting yourself up for trouble if you start paying 1/3 of your income in rent and then they hike it by 8% to 10% for a few years running (not out of the ordinary here).

Now, if 2 of you are working a 1BR would be fine. But the dog is also going to be a problem. That's going to limit your choice of places and the ones that do take the dog will charge pet deposits, etc.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:43 PM

What is rent really like out there for A/C, dishwasher, washer dryer (either hook ups, or in unit)? How hard is it to find a roommate?

Getting ready to graduate, and it's tough to find a job. I'm not sure how I can make this work, or if I should give up on this offer. This is a six month thing, with a 150% pay bump after 6 months. But idk how to make the first 6 months work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose