Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 06:08 PM

12 posts, read 97,407 times

Advertisements

I am moving in to a 1 bedroom apartment in the next month and was wondering what to expect for an electricity bill?

The unit is about 670 SQ FT, all electric and I typically don't use air conditioning but will probably use the heater in the winter. I will be living there alone. The complex pays all the water, sewer, garbage and gas bills (gas is for the water heater only) and tenant pays electric only.

I budgeted about $75 a month just to be safe but the complex told me that's way high and probably closer to $35-$40 a month. PG&E said the average in the area is $55 in the summer due to air conditioning and $35 in the winter.

If I'm not using the air conditioner (I'm actually going to unplug it from the wall) is $35 to $45 about right as they say? Seems low to me.

Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM

297 posts, read 766,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJsgfan View Post
I am moving in to a 1 bedroom apartment in the next month and was wondering what to expect for an electricity bill?

The unit is about 670 SQ FT, all electric and I typically don't use air conditioning but will probably use the heater in the winter. I will be living there alone. The complex pays all the water, sewer, garbage and gas bills (gas is for the water heater only) and tenant pays electric only.

I budgeted about $75 a month just to be safe but the complex told me that's way high and probably closer to $35-$40 a month. PG&E said the average in the area is $55 in the summer due to air conditioning and $35 in the winter.

If I'm not using the air conditioner (I'm actually going to unplug it from the wall) is $35 to $45 about right as they say? Seems low to me.

That sounds about right. I've lived in many 1 bedroom apts in the bay area and my average bill is probably $30/mo. most of the year, maybe $50 during a cold month in winter, where I've lived I don't need/use AC.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
When I lived in an all-electric apartment in South San Francisco, I kept my windows open year-round in spite of the plane noise and never even had to turn on my heater. My bill was typically $20 there. Any usage of the heat or AC will increase that; I've paid as much as $150 if it was hot and we had to run AC a lot in our apartment in San Jose. It has much higher ceilings and more floor space than typical though.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,856,709 times
The numbers being tossed around sound correct. However, keep in mind that PG&E rates are tiered and when you hit 130% of your baseline usage, you're paying around $0.30/kWh. So if you have a high powered gaming computer that draws 300 watts while idling, and left it on 24/7, that could be as much as $60/month. If you keep an eye on things and try to keep your parasitic loads low, you'll be fine.

My house in Santa Clara has been mostly empty this last year as I've been living in (and remodeling) my vacation house, and leaving my media server on 24/7 basically doubled my electricity bill in the empty house. The increase from running the Folding @Home client on my PS3 (back when I was doing that) was very clear too. I loved my cheap Silicon Valley Power electricity bills and am not looking forward to becoming a PG&E customer again when I move to San Jose.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 AM

12 posts, read 97,407 times
Cool. I don't use air conditioning and I plan to unplug the unit from the wall all together so it can't draw anything at all.

I also whent and bought those Monster Green Power surge protectors for both TV's and the Computer. They are supposed to shut each individual outlet down completely when the item thats plugged in is turned off so they don't draw or waste any power when items are off or in standby mode. And I plan to use only the most efficient light bulbs I can find.

In the winter, I guess I can get in the habit of throwing on a sweater rather than always turning on the heat.

If I can get the monthly bill to $40 that would be perfect (or lower is even better but I won't hold my breath on that one lol).

Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
PG&E rates are tiered and when you hit 130% of your baseline usage, you're paying around $0.30/kWh.
A detail that surprises many when they get the bill. Ours hovers between $300-400, but that's due to electric appliances, hot tub, fishtank, and many computers and TVs. Somebody with a little heater bumped it up to $700 a few months, so beware those inefficient little things (besides being a dangerous fire hazard).

Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:

My electric and gas combined usually run me about $20 per month, but I live in a studio without air conditioning. I usually don't miss the air conditioning. It depends on where you live. If you live in downtown SJ or areas north, it's a few degrees cooler in Summer than areas further south.

My bill would be lower if it weren't for my 41 inch plasma TV. The TV alone costs me about $7 per month. I should have gone with the LED instead!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
In the winter, I guess I can get in the habit of throwing on a sweater rather than always turning on the heat.
If you live on a 2nd floor apartment as I do, you may not really need to use your heat that much in winter. I get cold easily, but I don't need to turn my heat on until mid November. But I don't need it every day. Even when I do turn it on it isn't on all day every day. Normally, I turn it on when I get home from work for about an hour and I might turn it on in the morning when I get up, but this is only on colder than average Winter days.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
We have a small two bedroom. IN the summer we pay about $35/month. in the winter about $65.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM

58 posts, read 94,074 times
We live in a 1BR that is a bit larger than the one in the OP. Our bill was around $25 for the past 3 months; we don't use AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose