Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 AM

122 posts, read 260,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
House for rent in 2100$ range is terrible Nice house start with 3500$.
Start with condo and SAVE, SAVE, SAVE.
I've seen pretty decent houses for less than $2000:

Photos of 1050 Elm Street - HotPads
Photos of 3BR/2BA Single Family House - Fremont - HotPads
Photos of 3BR/2BA Single Family House - Hayward - HotPads

What's the problem with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 04:37 AM

392 posts, read 806,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
If I am single as You are I would be picking condo but that is personal preference.

First home looks very scary!!
at least for me

Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 AM

I've started thinking about something... If I'm able to make 120k now and live medium-low life, how others in the area afford 4-5k rent houses with luxury cars? i thought i got a good starting salary but apparently i've missed something that they didn't...

Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 AM

91 posts, read 214,784 times
Quote:
The problem is the neighborhood. If you work in SJ, you will hate the commune from Livermore after a week. Fremont and Hayward are not the "American" neighborhood you are looking for. The kind of car you are thinking of buying will be totally out of place in neighborhoods that rent for $2000 a month. Furthermore, when your coworkers see you pull that fancy car into the parking lot, they will think either you have a rich dad or you are an idiot with money and a phony. Is that the kind of attention you are seeking as a young bloke starting your first job?

Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I've started thinking about something... If I'm able to make 120k now and live medium-low life, how others in the area afford 4-5k rent houses with luxury cars? i thought i got a good starting salary but apparently i've missed something that they didn't...

That question is answered already. They are rich (few mil$ in total assets) or they are idiots simple as that.
Forget that (non-American) fancy car for until you are able to move in Los Altos Hill or some neighborhood like that.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
Quote:
Child-ish. I Can just recommend You to take advice from member easybay seriously.
Thanks for that....for some reason Shadow didn't like my posts.....I'll try again:

CASH. Live low, save it up - here's some reason's why:

You said you wanted a house and want pets. It's nearly impossible to rent a decent house here with a dog. Be prepared to pay more for rent and security deposit. When we rented our townhome 2 years ago ($2700 per month) we had to pay 2 months security deposit + 1st months rent. We were able to snap up the rental because most people didn't have $10,000 in the bank. If you want a dog be prepared to add $100 per month (food/vet/kenneling/accessories) to your budget.

Also, with a house, you'll need to pay higher utilities, alarm system AND you might have to mow your lawn if your landlord doesn't provide lawn service.

Generally speaking if you want an AUDI/BMW, they are cars you should probably lease rather than purchase. After they go off warranty they are VERY expensive to maintain. I had a 2004 BMW and it was always in the shop when on warranty and even more when it went off. I ended up trading it in for $10,000 last year because the last time I took it in for a general servicing the bill they were quoting me was $6000. Yes 6 - thousand. It only had 55,000 miles on it and it was a piece of garbage. I bought it 2 years old with 20,000 miles on it for $28,000 - cash. BIG mistake. Take a look around here and ask yourself why is EVERYONE driving a Toyota/Nissan/Honda. I drive an Infiniti now. Will NEVER purchase another European car.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Thanks for that....for some reason Shadow didn't like my posts.....I'll try again:

CASH. Live low, save it up - here's some reason's why:

You said you wanted a house and want pets. It's nearly impossible to rent a decent house here with a dog. Be prepared to pay more for rent and security deposit. When we rented our townhome 2 years ago ($2700 per month) we had to pay 2 months security deposit + 1st months rent. We were able to snap up the rental because most people didn't have $10,000 in the bank. If you want a dog be prepared to add $100 per month (food/vet/kenneling/accessories) to your budget.

Also, with a house, you'll need to pay higher utilities, alarm system AND you might have to mow your lawn if your landlord doesn't provide lawn service.

Generally speaking if you want an AUDI/BMW, they are cars you should probably lease rather than purchase. After they go off warranty they are VERY expensive to maintain. I had a 2004 BMW and it was always in the shop when on warranty and even more when it went off. I ended up trading it in for $10,000 last year because the last time I took it in for a general servicing the bill they were quoting me was $6000. Yes 6 - thousand. It only had 55,000 miles on it and it was a piece of garbage. I bought it 2 years old with 20,000 miles on it for $28,000 - cash. BIG mistake. Take a look around here and ask yourself why is EVERYONE driving a Toyota/Nissan/Honda. I drive an Infiniti now. Will NEVER purchase another European car.
Thanks for the info. It's probably because I'm from Europe and I never got used to American cars. When I think about it I see why 1,3k would be a mistake. I think my expense should not be more than $700, even that is high but I really need a car and I don't have credit history so I don't have many options. I'll probably buy a car for 3-4k cash and use it until I save some cash to buy with huge down payment probably after a year.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Finaly that is nice.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 PM

So my revised plan:

2.5k house
(a car bought with cash)-no monthly cost
1k utilities+phone+groceries+all other personal expenses (this was 300$ in LA so 1000$ should be enough)

3-3.5k for saving.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:49 PM

91 posts, read 214,784 times
Sounds like a better plan although I'm not sure what kind of car you can get for 3-4K cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose