Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaseb View Post
one would be better off making $10 an hour in a southern backwater than $35 an hour here.
"Better off" if you're a southern hick with an affinity for southern backwater culture. Otherwise, $35/hr in SJ is eminently doable. Might even be enough to run a moonshine still on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
"So high" because that's what the market will bear. Duh.

"Quality of life worth it?" is a misconceived question. People don't live in SJ so much for the QOL as becuase it's cheaper than Palo Alto/Menlo Park/Los Altos Hills/Los Gatos but it's still close enough to their tech jobs.

Re: northeastern winters- I'm a native of SJ, have lived here all my life and I don't need to live in the ne to know we have what I call perfect winters. The people in the snow belt taunt us by saying they we don't have "true" seasons and I hope they keep doing so if that helps them to rationalize living in their hell which I hope they stay in rather than coming to CA as we already have far too many people from the ne here in CA.
Grew up most of my life in the South Bay and San Jose winters are far from perfect. It still gets into the 30's and high 20's sometimes in the inland valleys and it can rain quite a bit in the winter. I agree that the "quality of life" is really what you make of it. My priorities are Family, Friends and cost of living rather than career advancement or weather. You have to ask yourself what is important to you and you make that choice in an intelligent and logical way.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
I don't think the cost is worth it in San Jose. Somehow I think SF is worth it although it is more expensive because up there it does provide something different in terms of scenery and lifestyle. In most part of San Jose you get the yellow mountains, sad little trees who looks like they are dying, suburban amenities with city traffic and noise. Tech jobs here pay well initially but growth is usually limited (It is not like doctors or lawyers that you can expect steady hefty raises as experience is gained along your career). I think the high rent and housing price here partly are due to the Asian oriented demographic who are very frugal in other aspects of life and can put most of the money they earned into apartments or housing. Landlords and home sellers recognized this market potential so they raised the price to the point that if they never eat out, seldom travels, don't attend social events, etc. they can afford it. The middle class in the San Jose area definitely live at a lower standard than most other places in US. The median income is high, but if you take that income minus tax, and compare it with the housing and rental prices, most people here live a very poor life. Also keep in mind that a great many of people earn exactly around that point. In most other places in US, rich people who can afford similarly priced housing and rental earn much much more than that. There are rich people everywhere, and I doubt in any place in the US, that median income in San Jose can be called "rich".

San Jose winter is good but such can also be said about LA, San Diego, etc. and they are not as pricy. San Jose still gets quite hot in a few days in summer and in winter it is also one of the coldest place in the Bay area. You'll need both AC and heating in San Jose. Even east bay has better weather than San Jose.

That said, it all depends on what you think is important in life. It all comes down to whether you are happy or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplr View Post
I moved from San Jose to Albq back in 2007. Part of the reason I left was the high cost of rent/living. Since I've lived here in Albq Ive saved up some money and have considered moving back to San Jose. I been looking at rental prices and wow! Very expensive stuff. There's a huge part of me that understands why people are willing to pay the high costs, one of the reasons being the insanely could and oppressive winters most of the United States suffers from. It's a living hell being trapped indoors during the winter because its simply to dam cold to go outside. You people may be wondering why I'm complaining about winter and it's "Mid-June", Because winter time here in Albq is a living hell and impossible to forget about. So anyway, I was just wondering what people on here think about the cost of living in San Jose and if the Quality of life is worth the cost, as far as the mild San Jose winters are concerned I would say yes.

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-27-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
You'll need both AC and heating in San Jose.
Heating is handy for some cold nights, but few have or pine for AC in SJ.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:02 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is the kind of attitude I was talking about and it's what's keeping California's economy in low gear. Go visit Detroit or many other cities in the East or Midwest that have experienced sustained population decline and report back before you go mouthing off about stuff you don't know about.
It's the myth that a region must have a growing population in order to have a growing economy.

Detroit's population fell because its economy declined, not the other way around. You reversed the cause and effect.

Look at San Francisco. Its population in 1950 was 775,000. Today it's 800,000. It basically hasn't grown in 60 years. Would you say SF's economy hasn't grown in that time? Why are its real estate values are up like 50 fold? Why are wages in SF so high? Clearly its economy has grown despite a stagnant population size.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:24 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
It's the myth that a region must have a growing population in order to have a growing economy.

Detroit's population fell because its economy declined, not the other way around. You reversed the cause and effect.

Look at San Francisco. Its population in 1950 was 775,000. Today it's 800,000. It basically hasn't grown in 60 years. Would you say SF's economy hasn't grown in that time? Why are its real estate values are up like 50 fold? Why are wages in SF so high? Clearly its economy has grown despite a stagnant population size.
To an extent, yes, economic growth has been disconnected from population growth, as the economy has shifted toward engineering and high tech, both of which offer high margins. But, it's inaccurate to speak of SF like it's an island unto itself, and not part of an area that has exploded in population. The whole area went from a population of 2,681,322 in 1950 to 7,150,739 in 2010. So, of course the economy is going to grow when you have two powerful trends working simultaneously and feeding off one another.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM

392 posts, read 806,905 times
Anyone who can afford to buy home for cash in San Jose should be fine here. I see problems only in housing
area other part of living here is just fine.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 PM

47 posts, read 89,295 times
How many people can scrape together 600K in any reasonable amount of time? The reality is that the huge majority in San Jose make between $10 and $15.00/hour, and stretch to unbelievable lengths just to pay the rent. I know there are a lot of home sales happening right now that are 100% cash purchases, and regardless where these people are getting these ungodly sums of money, whatever that mechanism that's allowing it, wreaks of a corrupt economic system.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM

4,322 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest411 View Post
I know there are a lot of home sales happening right now that are 100% cash purchases, and regardless where these people are getting these ungodly sums of money, whatever that mechanism that's allowing it, wreaks of a corrupt economic system.
So, are you inferring that there should be some social program in place to enable more people to buy affordable housing? That will only drive up the price of housing more for the rest of us. Lets face it, this is an incredibly expensive place to live and probably is not the best fit for those that are uneducated or aren't highly skilled in a specific trade. There are cheaper places people can move to that will better suit their needs.

You can make a legitimate argument that the Silicon Valley contains a ton of incredibly overpriced suburbs without the cool big city vibe. However, the plethora of high paying jobs, the good weather (compared at least to most of the rest of the country), the outdoor recreational opportunities and the proximity to many great weekend getaways are a trade off that many are willing to bear for the high cost. Yeah, I probably wouldn't have moved to the valley if it weren't for my job. However, it does grow on you and I've come to realize that my dream house is a multi-phase approach. I can't afford the 6 bedroom house that a friend of mine in Houston has, but who would want to endure those summers if they don't have to anyway?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest411 View Post
How many people can scrape together 600K in any reasonable amount of time? The reality is that the huge majority in San Jose make between $10 and $15.00/hour, and stretch to unbelievable lengths just to pay the rent. I know there are a lot of home sales happening right now that are 100% cash purchases, and regardless where these people are getting these ungodly sums of money, whatever that mechanism that's allowing it, wreaks of a corrupt economic system.
I like to know where these people live making $10 to $15/hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose