Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:24 AM

574 posts, read 695,092 times

Advertisements

Howdy, I'm 22, and a fresh graduate of Spring 2012! I have just acquired a job in north San Jose (right above SJ airport) at a tech company.

I’m just getting used to my job, but some things that have come up:

1. I’m still looking for an apartment. I’m living with my parents in Sunnyvale and borrowing their car, but I’d prefer to bike to work and avoid buying a car (I don't currently own one). My ideal apartment would be 2 miles away from work, but that would mean no more parents’ car. And a studio at that range starts at $1700/mo. What apartment do I get and must I buy a car?
2. At the same time, I’d like to learn Japanese (both a personal and professional interest). I’d like to take classes at De Anza College, but this would require a car. Do I delay the classes/car, or can I avoid the car altogether? Anyone know anywhere else to learn Japanese?
3. All of this would be easier if I had money, but I have no money in the bank (just started my job), and more than 25K in student loans to pay off. And my job is a business function, which means I’m pulling in something the 65-70K range, rather than 100K+ like one software engineer new grad I know.
4. Finally, I don’t really know anyone here. Everyone at my job is 10+ years older than me. I have more nerdish hobbies, so I don’t get out much (I like computers, games, and anime). I’d like to get a good friend, and perhaps even a girlfriend, and how I'm living now isn't moving me in that direction.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I’ve basically landed my dream job, but I’ve got to work out these things before I'll really feel settled in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,001,648 times
$1700 for a studio is fairly doable around the area you work. You might find a 1br at that price. You'll need a car in San Jose, sooner or later. If you are on budget you can buy a used one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Howdy, I'm 22, and a fresh graduate of Spring 2012! I have just acquired a job in north San Jose (right above SJ airport) at a tech company.

I’m just getting used to my job, but some things that have come up:

1. I’m still looking for an apartment. I’m living with my parents in Sunnyvale and borrowing their car, but I’d prefer to bike to work and avoid buying a car (I don't currently own one). My ideal apartment would be 2 miles away from work, but that would mean no more parents’ car. And a studio at that range starts at $1700/mo. What apartment do I get and must I buy a car?
2. At the same time, I’d like to learn Japanese (both a personal and professional interest). I’d like to take classes at De Anza College, but this would require a car. Do I delay the classes/car, or can I avoid the car altogether? Anyone know anywhere else to learn Japanese?
3. All of this would be easier if I had money, but I have no money in the bank (just started my job), and more than 25K in student loans to pay off. And my job is a business function, which means I’m pulling in something the 65-70K range, rather than 100K+ like one software engineer new grad I know.
4. Finally, I don’t really know anyone here. Everyone at my job is 10+ years older than me. I have more nerdish hobbies, so I don’t get out much (I like computers, games, and anime). I’d like to get a good friend, and perhaps even a girlfriend, and how I'm living now isn't moving me in that direction.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I’ve basically landed my dream job, but I’ve got to work out these things before I'll really feel settled in.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 AM

574 posts, read 695,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
$1700 for a studio is fairly doable around the area you work. You might find a 1br at that price. You'll need a car in San Jose, sooner or later. If you are on budget you can buy a used one.
The problem is, I don't think $1700 for a studio is affordable for me. I know it's doable; I've done my research. But I'd basically be spending 50% of my after-tax income (I'll most likely get about 40K after taxes) on rent, which IMO is not a good idea. And this is ignoring utilities. A car is expensive - adding in student loan payments and food, I don't think I'll have anything left.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,059,541 times
Get roomate(s) and start saving $ and get a used car after a year or so. If you can't do that then there are great 3-yr lease deals now for $200/month. Save save save.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM

7,022 posts, read 14,439,595 times
Rent a room in a house.. they can go for as low as $500/mo if you look in the classified section in the Chinese newspapers. I rented one for about 8 months back in 2009.. although it'll probably be more comfortable to live at home. (You get what you paid for.)

Get a bland but cheap and reliable used car.. look for a 10+ year old Honda Civic and pay for it using cash.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,001,648 times
Second this "Rent a room in a house."

When I first came to the bay area I earned more than 100k but still wanted to save up. I shared a townhouse with 2 other software engineers who earned the same as me. I got the smallest room and my share was 650$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Rent a room in a house.. they can go for as low as $500/mo if you look in the classified section in the Chinese newspapers. I rented one for about 8 months back in 2009.. although it'll probably be more comfortable to live at home. (You get what you paid for.)

Get a bland but cheap and reliable used car.. look for a 10+ year old Honda Civic and pay for it using cash.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM

440 posts, read 529,470 times
Quote:
Finally, I don’t really know anyone here. Everyone at my job is 10+ years older than me. I have more nerdish hobbies, so I don’t get out much (I like computers, games, and anime).
Try Meetup dot com - there are several area groups with large memberships with exactly your kind of people. Especially look at the Geek Club and Anime/Manga groups; my 24-year-old son has been active and enjoyed them very much. A car would be helpful but I think a number of members rely on public transportation and car pooling for the events.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,337,327 times
Keep saving the dinero, bike as much as possible. De Anza is bikeable from S'vale just need to allow time.

As for workplace friends, can't give advice there.

Workplaces are aging and with the crummy economy there is not much hiring of the young. Wish it were otherwise because it will be a crisis in ten years.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM

122 posts, read 259,861 times
I don't know where you are looking but hotpad has studios going as low as 1.3k

Old 07-04-2012, 05:30 PM

765 posts, read 2,436,427 times
Why the rush to move out of your parents house? Why not take a year, pay off that student loan, and buy a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose