Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,135 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I need some advice. My son who is a student at SJSU is looking to rent a house/apartment with some friends next year. What is a good area for them to be in? We are not sure if he is going to bring his car up next year so it would have to be within walking distance and/or with a bus route close by. They are looking right now at a place on 19th Street. I believe in the 200 block. The area seems nice but the area getting to that location from SJSU doesn't look so great. Don't know if I would want him walking through this area alone at night. Any opinions on this or am I just being an overprotective mom? Thank so much for any info you've got.
Thanks, Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:56 PM

47 posts, read 89,024 times
He should stay west of 10th street, at least...And preferably west of 4th. Depending on the funds available I'd recommend getting a place in the Santa Theresa/Bernal area, which is pretty nice and safe (and much more quiet than the rest of the city), and then catching the Light Rail straight to school from there.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:53 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,854,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest411 View Post
He should stay west of 10th street, at least...And preferably west of 4th. Depending on the funds available I'd recommend getting a place in the Santa Theresa/Bernal area, which is pretty nice and safe (and much more quiet than the rest of the city), and then catching the Light Rail straight to school from there.
This post is not accurate. There are several nice blocks east of 10th Street. It's quite nice until about 16th Street. A lot of people who live in South San Jose aren't aware of this neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolR1262 View Post
They are looking right now at a place on 19th Street. I believe in the 200 block. The area seems nice but the area getting to that location from SJSU doesn't look so great. Don't know if I would want him walking through this area alone at night.
Nothing to worry about, unless he has a penchant for picking fights (I do a lot of work in that area, and haven't had any problems). There is a minor presence of Nortenos around there, but they don't mess with anybody who doesn't look like a gangbanger. We'll assume student son isn't one of those. Nice location within walking distance of downtown, with the very nice Naglee Park neighborhood right in between.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 PM

2,552 posts, read 2,455,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest411 View Post
Using LRT from Bernal would be slower than most people are willing to put up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose