U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 PM

476 posts, read 589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I am confident those of us who live here don't share it. And we're not all on crack. Ask all the professionals who are buying up the houses around here. Hangin around the bourgeousie much?
Not all of you, of course...I guess they are trying to gentrify your crappy neighborhood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:36 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,355,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Not all of you, of course...I guess they are trying to gentrify your crappy neighborhood
So we have the view from Boulder (a place with an aggregate attitude often rivaling that of Palo Alto).

When's the last time you were in Burbank? You do know it bleeds right into Rosegarden, and vice-versa, yes? That ain't no "crappy neighborhood". It's quite nice to be able to buy a house from the 1920's and fix it up, and still have money left over to enjoy the Bay Area.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM

476 posts, read 589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
So we have the view from Boulder (a place with an aggregate attitude often rivaling that of Palo Alto).

When's the last time you were in Burbank? You do know it bleeds right into Rosegarden, and vice-versa, yes? That ain't no "crappy neighborhood". It's quite nice to be able to buy a house from the 1920's and fix it up, and still have money left over to enjoy the Bay Area.
About a month ago, i lived in the bay area for 7 years full time now i just spend part of my time there for work. Honestly I don't think that neighborhood is bad, it just looks a little rough and I probably wouldn't live there personally. That stretch all along West San Carlos just looks run-down. As far as Boulder goes, it has it's fair mix of different attitudes/people. It is mostly down to earth middle class people though. I find the yuppies all over the bay area to be much more superficial than they are out here in Colorado.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM

65 posts, read 73,037 times
An unincorporated county pocket, south of I-280, west of Bascom Ave is good area to live, majority group is Caucasians.

Every house by Lindaire Ave has 10,000+ sf lot, excellent for garden lovers. Easy access to Bascom Library and Community Center, Santa Row, and I-280/I-880/CA-17 freeways.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 PM

14,085 posts, read 11,709,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Yup, the term "East Side" is a very generic term that to me typically refers to the general area of SJ bounded on the north by Mabury Rd., the west by downtown SJ, the east by White Rd. and Tully Rd. at the south end. When I think of the "East Side" this is mainly the area that comes to mind and it is typically a mostly crappy/high crime part of the city. The main zip codes are 95116, 95122 and parts of 95127, 95121 and 95148.

There are other parts of SJ that are on the eastern side of the city that don't necessarily fall into the "East Side" description and are very nice areas. If you head east toward the foothills, you'll find plenty of very nice neighborhoods and as you head southeast, you head into some very nice parts of Evergreen. The Silver Creek Valley Country Club is San Jose's most upscale gated golf community and it's located on this side of town.

I'd personally have no problem living near or in the East Foothills or the further southeast parts of Evergreen. San Jose isn't really a city that you can divide up by north/south/east/west. It's more split up by zip codes. Two zip codes I'd avoid completely are 95116 and 95122. Zip codes that are pretty much nice or at least mostly safe throughout would be 95120 (Almaden Valley), 95118/95124 (Cambrian Park), 95134 (Northcentral area near Alviso that is mostly commercial but has recently seen many new apartments/condos built in the area), most of 95123/95136 (Blossom Valley), 95125 (Willow Glen), 95135 (southeastern part of Evergreen), 95129 (border of Cupertino, Campbell and Saratoga) and 95126 (Rose Garden/Shasta-Hanchett). Some zip codes that are more hit and miss, having both good and not so good areas would be 95127/95148 (Eastern edge of SJ south of Berryessa and north of Evergreen), 95112 (a downtown area that varies from block to block where the upscale neighborhood of Naglee Park is located), 95132/95133 (Berryessa area that is nicer the further East you head) and 95111 (Roughly centered around Hellyer Park and is overall not very nice but there are nice neighborhoods east of 101). This is just a basic run-down of some of the main SJ zip codes and since there are MANY zip codes in the city, it's impossible to give a rundown of all of them.
^^^This post is very accurate^^^

Old 08-25-2012, 07:35 PM

248 posts, read 234,872 times
I love the West San Carlos strip and Burbank area in general...it's gritty and maybe very east LA looking, but it has some of San Jose's best hole-in-the-wall finds, and there is a lot of unpretentious authenticity in this area

Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 AM

6,769 posts, read 16,457,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2 View Post
I agree from the experience.

South San Jose -> Sunnyvale is 30 minutes CARPOOLING, up to 2 hours for a single driver, doesn't matter what highways. East San Jose Foothills (which is a nice area btw) about the same. It's the best to have a spouse or a co-worker travelling the same direction, or travel after 9:30am, or work from home.
I commuted solo from South San Jose (Almaden/Branham) to Sunnyvale for a while. I tried the highways and found it could be up to an hour in peak traffic. However, taking Lawrence Expressway, Saratoga Ave and 85 shortened it to around 30-40 minutes.

I also had to commute to Milpitas for a while, using 87/280/680. There was no easy way around that.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 PM

25 posts, read 19,084 times
The further South you go, the less expensive it is. The East side is just as expensive as the rest of San Jose, but with more crime. If price is not an issue, I would suggest sticking to the North because commute and traffic will soon irritate you in a busy city like San Jose.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFreddie View Post
The further South you go, the less expensive it is. The East side is just as expensive as the rest of San Jose, but with more crime. If price is not an issue, I would suggest sticking to the North because commute and traffic will soon irritate you in a busy city like San Jose.
I'm not sure where this info comes from. It's not accurate at all. Bad East Side areas are cheaper than other parts of SJ. SJ also isn't cheaper just because you head south. Prices mainly vary based on the quality of the neighborhood itself and the quality of its schools. I think many people who post here have no personal knowledge about real estate trends in the area.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 AM

14,085 posts, read 11,709,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm not sure where this info comes from. It's not accurate at all. Bad East Side areas are cheaper than other parts of SJ. SJ also isn't cheaper just because you head south. Prices mainly vary based on the quality of the neighborhood itself and the quality of its schools. I think many people who post here have no personal knowledge about real estate trends in the area.
I don't know about that....this has been my experience also. Although I haven't checked recently, so maybe it changed. East SJ might be cheaper, but not by a lot. The higher insurance you pay for your car can wipe out any savings in rent, not to mention the hassle and quality of life factors of living there.

It was also my general impression that South SJ was a bit cheaper than other parts of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose