U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 AM

7,764 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm not sure where this info comes from. It's not accurate at all. Bad East Side areas are cheaper than other parts of SJ. SJ also isn't cheaper just because you head south. Prices mainly vary based on the quality of the neighborhood itself and the quality of its schools. I think many people who post here have no personal knowledge about real estate trends in the area.
Yep. Almaden, Cambrian, Evergreen ain't exactly cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM

65 posts, read 78,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
I love the West San Carlos strip and Burbank area in general...it's gritty and maybe very east LA looking, but it has some of San Jose's best hole-in-the-wall finds, and there is a lot of unpretentious authenticity in this area
Burbank area is one of my frequently visited areas because I like to shop at 99 Only Stores for fruits and vegetables. Prices are almost half of the prices at regular grocery stores. I don’t have issue with this area since the store opened at this location.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 AM

43 posts, read 52,668 times
I don't think Burbank is a "bad" area, I'm no expert on the neighborhood but I never hear of anything happening there on the news... but it does have a completely different feel than the area I was referring to (Hedding/Forest/Naglee).

Burbank homes are generally pre-1950 homes and some are beautifully maintained, some are run down... there are strip clubs in the area, blocks of used car lots, and lots of great antique/thrift shops and eateries.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:26 PM

13 posts, read 18,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You read the paranoid rantings of intellectual weaklings. East San Jose is a massive area with all kinds of different neighborhoods.

Reeks of the same forum drivel that says all of Oakland is a warzone.
East San Jose is the worst part of San Jose.

Higher crime.

Lots of gang members.

Also, lots of noise from the thump thump thump cars that blast their music and from illegally modified exhaust cars that wake you up each time they pass through your neighborhood.

That's the truth.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM

6,868 posts, read 16,988,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1203 View Post

Higher crime.

Lots of gang members.

Also, lots of noise from the thump thump thump cars that blast their music and from illegally modified exhaust cars that wake you up each time they pass through your neighborhood.

That's the truth.
That was my experience living over there as well (in what I thought was a good neighborhood). Lots of people who have no respect for residential neighborhoods, sleeping patterns, or generally anything else besides themselves and their own ridiculously stupid image. Trash thrown on my lawn daily by pedestrians. I learned to tell the difference between fireworks and gunshots, both of which were too frequent. Drug deals outside my window. Loud parties. Endless calls to police that went unanswered. And on top of that, it took up to 30 minutes to get from my house to the freeway. Never going back there.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 AM

7,764 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1203 View Post

Higher crime.

Lots of gang members.

That's the truth.
Sure, if you choose to live in the worst parts. Not nearly all of East San Jose is a pit. You're just pissed you're stuck with homies on your block.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 PM

68 posts, read 18,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
Hi all,

I have been looking for a place to move that's not far from San Jose. Some of you have already responded to my prior posting.

I have a different question now. I have only been looking at places that say they are located in North San Jose, mainly because of commuting time.

My question is what's the rest of San Jose like? I read on here that I should rule out East San Jose due to crime and other not so pleasant issues. What about San Jose South and West? What's specific about those areas? Are they safe? Demographics? Lifestyle? Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

Aslo, what's the commute like in trafffic in the mornings and afternoons to/from San Jose South or West to Milpitas?

Thanks so much!
Honestly, short of living next to a crackhouse, commute time should probably be the biggest thing to take into account, since where you live won't have a huge impact on your happiness.

So live as close to where you work as you possibly can. Look at commute times, and figure out how many hours a week (plus gas money) you'd be losing out on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose