Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
The area around Forest Ave, Naglee, Hedding near Santa Clara is really nice too, but borders on some of the rougher spots in what is locally known as "burbank" which is a not-so-nice area (basically from meridian to Bascom on the east and west and roughly from West San Carlos south to the 280.
You can quit your ****talk about our Burbank neighborhood. If you gleefully slag the whole place, you haven't been here, and therefore obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 01:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You read the paranoid rantings of intellectual weaklings. East San Jose is a massive area with all kinds of different neighborhoods.

Reeks of the same forum drivel that says all of Oakland is a warzone.
Yup, the term "East Side" is a very generic term that to me typically refers to the general area of SJ bounded on the north by Mabury Rd., the west by downtown SJ, the east by White Rd. and Tully Rd. at the south end. When I think of the "East Side" this is mainly the area that comes to mind and it is typically a mostly crappy/high crime part of the city. The main zip codes are 95116, 95122 and parts of 95127, 95121 and 95148.

There are other parts of SJ that are on the eastern side of the city that don't necessarily fall into the "East Side" description and are very nice areas. If you head east toward the foothills, you'll find plenty of very nice neighborhoods and as you head southeast, you head into some very nice parts of Evergreen. The Silver Creek Valley Country Club is San Jose's most upscale gated golf community and it's located on this side of town.

I'd personally have no problem living near or in the East Foothills or the further southeast parts of Evergreen. San Jose isn't really a city that you can divide up by north/south/east/west. It's more split up by zip codes. Two zip codes I'd avoid completely are 95116 and 95122. Zip codes that are pretty much nice or at least mostly safe throughout would be 95120 (Almaden Valley), 95118/95124 (Cambrian Park), 95134 (Northcentral area near Alviso that is mostly commercial but has recently seen many new apartments/condos built in the area), most of 95123/95136 (Blossom Valley), 95125 (Willow Glen), 95135 (southeastern part of Evergreen), 95129 (border of Cupertino, Campbell and Saratoga) and 95126 (Rose Garden/Shasta-Hanchett). Some zip codes that are more hit and miss, having both good and not so good areas would be 95127/95148 (Eastern edge of SJ south of Berryessa and north of Evergreen), 95112 (a downtown area that varies from block to block where the upscale neighborhood of Naglee Park is located), 95132/95133 (Berryessa area that is nicer the further East you head) and 95111 (Roughly centered around Hellyer Park and is overall not very nice but there are nice neighborhoods east of 101). This is just a basic run-down of some of the main SJ zip codes and since there are MANY zip codes in the city, it's impossible to give a rundown of all of them.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Some zip codes that are more hit and miss, having both good and not so good areas would be 95127/95148 (Eastern edge of SJ south of Berryessa and north of Evergreen), 95112 (a downtown area that varies from block to block where the upscale neighborhood of Naglee Park is located), 95132/95133 (Berryessa area that is nicer the further East you head) and 95111 (Roughly centered around Hellyer Park and is overall not very nice but there are nice neighborhoods east of 101). This is just a basic run-down of some of the main SJ zip codes and since there are MANY zip codes in the city, it's impossible to give a rundown of all of them.
i lived in 95112 and it was berryessa. old oakland rd.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i lived in 95112 and it was berryessa. old oakland rd.
That area isn't really considered to be Berryessa. The west end of Berryessa is around where the SJ Muni Golf Course is.
95112 is mostly a downtown zip code but heads north and ends near Murphy Ave./Hostetter Rd.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Yup, the term "East Side" is a very generic term that to me typically refers to the general area of SJ bounded on the north by Mabury Rd., the west by downtown SJ, the east by White Rd. and Tully Rd. at the south end. When I think of the "East Side" this is mainly the area that comes to mind and it is typically a mostly crappy/high crime part of the city. The main zip codes are 95116, 95122 and parts of 95127, 95121 and 95148.

There are other parts of SJ that are on the eastern side of the city that don't necessarily fall into the "East Side" description and are very nice areas. If you head east toward the foothills, you'll find plenty of very nice neighborhoods and as you head southeast, you head into some very nice parts of Evergreen. The Silver Creek Valley Country Club is San Jose's most upscale gated golf community and it's located on this side of town.

I'd personally have no problem living near or in the East Foothills or the further southeast parts of Evergreen. San Jose isn't really a city that you can divide up by north/south/east/west. It's more split up by zip codes. Two zip codes I'd avoid completely are 95116 and 95122. Zip codes that are pretty much nice or at least mostly safe throughout would be 95120 (Almaden Valley), 95118/95124 (Cambrian Park), 95134 (Northcentral area near Alviso that is mostly commercial but has recently seen many new apartments/condos built in the area), most of 95123/95136 (Blossom Valley), 95125 (Willow Glen), 95135 (southeastern part of Evergreen), 95129 (border of Cupertino, Campbell and Saratoga) and 95126 (Rose Garden/Shasta-Hanchett). Some zip codes that are more hit and miss, having both good and not so good areas would be 95127/95148 (Eastern edge of SJ south of Berryessa and north of Evergreen), 95112 (a downtown area that varies from block to block where the upscale neighborhood of Naglee Park is located), 95132/95133 (Berryessa area that is nicer the further East you head) and 95111 (Roughly centered around Hellyer Park and is overall not very nice but there are nice neighborhoods east of 101). This is just a basic run-down of some of the main SJ zip codes and since there are MANY zip codes in the city, it's impossible to give a rundown of all of them.
Pretty good breakdown here. One needs to visit the particular block in question before coming to judgment.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
That area isn't really considered to be Berryessa. The west end of Berryessa is around where the SJ Muni Golf Course is.
95112 is mostly a downtown zip code but heads north and ends near Murphy Ave./Hostetter Rd.
i lived next to the golf course. bordered by 880, brokaw and gish.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You can quit your ****talk about our Burbank neighborhood. If you gleefully slag the whole place, you haven't been here, and therefore obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
does this mean that the strip clubs are gone?!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,067,933 times
Quote:
I have spent lots of time in that neighborhood, and I wouldn't want to live there, nor would I recommend it. My personal opinion and I am confident most share it

Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
my car insurance was also higher as it was considered a downtown zip, even though i wasn't downtown.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
I have spent lots of time in that neighborhood, and I wouldn't want to live there, nor would I recommend it. My personal opinion and I am confident most share it
I am confident those of us who live here don't share it. And we're not all on crack. Ask all the professionals who are buying up the houses around here. Hangin around the bourgeousie much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose