Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,983 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocation to the monterey bay area. The job is in Salinas. Any suggestions for a community with good public schools and a reasonable commute to Salinas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM

51 posts, read 260,729 times
The Washington Union School District is one of the best. My mom taught there for many years and just retired. Anything within that district will be an easy commute to Salinas.

Unfortunately, anything in that district is going to be very, very, very expensive. A "starter home" is anything under 1 million, to give you some idea. These aren't mansions, they're ordinary ranch and tract houses that just happen to sit on some of the most expensive real estate in the U.S.

Monterey, Carmel, and Pacific Grove also have good schools. Houses aren't less expensive there, but you might be able to find an apartment or rental.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Oh, go and search other threads about Salinas. I wouldn't recommend living in the city of Salinas....check the other threads for more info! Good luck!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Monterey is very nice. I've heard Salinas has drug/crime problems though. I would recommend Monterey, if you can afford it.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 43,095 times
If you want to live in Monterey bring a big fat checkbook. We're here temporarily. The area is beautiful but not an inexpensive place to live.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM

202 posts, read 534,843 times
We lived in Monterey for a decade after going to school there. It's a beautiful, quiet area. The scenery is the best in the state (some say the nation, especially the Big Sur area), the restaurants are fantastic, and it's a paradise for wine-lovers, nature-lovers and those who like a slower pace.

We left because we refused to pay $750,000 for a 800 square foot, two-bedroom house. Let me emphatically echo: Monterey is very expensive. Salinas is consistently touted as the most unaffordable city in the nation, due to its median wage/median housing cost ratio.

If you're already wealthy or have a sizable amount of equity, or have no plans to purchase a home and are happy renting, you are going to love it in Monterey Bay. Otherwise, be wary.

All that said, it really is a great area, and will always be home to me. I would look at Monterey and Pacific Grove, as the commute to Salinas from there is not bad at all (about 25 minutes or so... we used to drive it daily to perform in Salinas's theatre company). Salinas, Marina and Seaside are sketchier, although there are decent neighborhoods in all three if you do your research.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
If I was working in Salinas, and wanted to raise a family, I would live in Soquel or Aptos and endure the crunch on Highway 1. Very highly rated schools, but not as inflated in price as the Monterey area.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:09 PM

256 posts, read 1,403,674 times
Dont live in Salinas or Watsonville IMO live somewhere like aptos or santa cruz or maybe even scotts valley(could be a difficult commute) even down in the monterey area is really nice too

Old 10-27-2007, 03:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
I'm just curious .... if Considering couldn't afford to live in Monterey or Carmel, would Gonzales be a reasonable alternative? I was just looking at a map, I've never heard Gonzales being discussed.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
I don't like the area between Salinas and King City at all. It's a very, very poor, depressed region with little to offer the average buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose