U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 8,158 times
Default Living cost in San Jose

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum here. I'm from San Diego and I'll be going to SJ so I need some advices. Here's some info about myself:
I haven't got my B.S degree since I had to drop out of school to support myself. It's been up and down but anyway I just got a job offer at Intel from a recruiting agency starting 60k per year. I know SJ is one expensive area so I'm just wondering is it enough for a single person to live on that salary?
Also I'm gonna look for a place to live in the area (preferably a 1 bedroom apartment) so any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:01 PM

257 posts, read 406,983 times
Yes, you can live on 60k in San Jose as a single person. Keep your expectations low (minimal luxuries for you) and you will be fine.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
Yes, you can live on 60k in San Jose as a single person. Keep your expectations low (minimal luxuries for you) and you will be fine.
Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to save as well so I hope it will be enough to cover my expenses and stuff. Also I'm totally clueless about housing and the area so any addition info is appreciated.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM

131 posts, read 174,371 times
Seconded, 60K is fine for San Jose as being single. Housing is extraordinarily high here, a studio apt costs at least 1000, and that's for a non-luxury building. Having a roommate might be an option if you want to save.
Cheap car and not much going out will probably help the budget as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,011,155 times
The salary is definitely do-able. What are you looking for in a neighborhood? That could help us give suggestions on what areas to look in.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM

I'm ok with sharing with a roommate, I just don't think sharing a room in a house with a bunch of people is a good idea since I don't really have the time to find out as I need a place ASAP. Maybe like a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 people would be ideal.
I might have to go up there sometimes next week to look for a place close to Intel. And since I have no clue about the area,
I'm just looking for a nice, quiet neighborhood since I'm gonna spend most of my time working. I don't go out that often so when I stay home, I just wanna make sure that I'll be comfortable. Hopefully that might give you an idea to help me out.
Thank you for all the suggestions guys

Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM

3,049 posts, read 1,842,948 times
Figure that San Jose is 24% higher to live overall than San Diego, and housing is 43% higher than San Diego.

Using that as a base, you can easily figure how well you will be living in San Jose.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM

979 posts, read 1,077,779 times
I think rents in general are going up in San Jose on a daily basis, I have been watching rates and they are still rising.

If your single, with no pets, no debt, car paid in full and don't mind living in a closet that salary will work.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Is it really that bad? I still have student loans and such and even though my car is paid off, I'm thinking of getting another, definitely not brand new but affordable so I can pay off within 2 years. Besides the housing cost, what else should I be worry about?
Also, the zip code that I'll be working at is 95054 and I found that it's really expensive there, any other locations that close to the area but cheaper? I'm not asking for walking distance but preferably no more than 30 mins driving.

Last edited by vu2001; 07-20-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:54 AM

979 posts, read 1,077,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2001 View Post
Is it really that bad? I still have student loans and such and even though my car is paid off, I'm thinking of getting another, definitely not brand new but affordable so I can pay off within 2 years. Besides the housing cost, what else should I be worry about?
Also, the zip code that I'll be working at is 95054 and I found that it's really expensive there, any other locations that close to the area but cheaper? I'm not asking for walking distance but preferably no more than 30 mins driving.
The rents are going up, if you find a place to live that you like and can afford you should put a deposit on it the same day because odds are it will be gone the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose