U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 AM

4 posts, read 3,232 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we are thinking of moving from the UK to San Jose (husband has been offered a job). What are nice areas to look at (in terms of other families/great schools, nice but affordable properties etc) and any tips of how to find the best elementary schools? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM

262 posts, read 430,860 times
What is your budget?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM

10 posts, read 10,448 times
In term of looking for good school, you can start your search at greatschool.org. What is the budget that you have in mind?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:58 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,661,518 times
Yeah, budget is key. The best schools are in the most expensive areas.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 PM

371 posts, read 339,996 times
San Jose is not really affordable by any standards. The most affordable areas of San Jose are the most undesireable areas. San Jose has had a very violent year with 31 murders so far and most of those murders took place in the more affordable areas of the city if that tells you anything.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 AM

18 posts, read 15,938 times
With a budget of 3,500 to rent, what neighborhood would be desirable and SAFE, family oriented?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
San Jose is not really affordable by any standards. The most affordable areas of San Jose are the most undesireable areas. San Jose has had a very violent year with 31 murders so far and most of those murders took place in the more affordable areas of the city if that tells you anything.
What a crock. San Jose is one of the safest cities in the country for its size, if not the safest.

Let's compare the 2010 murder rate in San Jose to that to some other large cities around the US.

Murders per 100,000
San Jose 2.1
San Diego 2.2
San Francisco 6
Oakland 22
Los Angeles 7.6
Boston 11.3
Miami 9.1
Las Vegas 7.6
Minneapolis 9.6
Detroit 34

Even on a bad year, San Jose is still one of the safest large cities in the country.

Regarding your contention that most of the murders in San Jose happen in the most affordable areas -- wow, there's a news flash. More murders happen in the poorest areas in town. This is a surprise to you? When you have a city of a million people spread out over 180 square miles, you're going to have neighborhoods in every economic strata.

Regarding your contention that "San Jose is not really affordable by any standards", let's just say there are a million people in San Jose who evidently disagree with you. Feel free to suggest a more affordable safer town in Silicon Valley than San Jose. I think we'd all like to know that.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM

371 posts, read 339,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What a crock. San Jose is one of the safest cities in the country for its size, if not the safest.

Let's compare the 2010 murder rate in San Jose to that to some other large cities around the US.

Murders per 100,000
San Jose 2.1
San Diego 2.2
San Francisco 6
Oakland 22
Los Angeles 7.6
Boston 11.3
Miami 9.1
Las Vegas 7.6
Minneapolis 9.6
Detroit 34

Even on a bad year, San Jose is still one of the safest large cities in the country.

Regarding your contention that most of the murders in San Jose happen in the most affordable areas -- wow, there's a news flash. More murders happen in the poorest areas in town. This is a surprise to you? When you have a city of a million people spread out over 180 square miles, you're going to have neighborhoods in every economic strata.

Regarding your contention that "San Jose is not really affordable by any standards", let's just say there are a million people in San Jose who evidently disagree with you. Feel free to suggest a more affordable safer town in Silicon Valley than San Jose. I think we'd all like to know that.
I wasn't at all surprised that most of the violent crimes that take place in San Jose take place in the poor neighborhoods. I think that would hold true for most cities and towns. Oh I realize that San Jose isn't Oakland or Detroit but so far this year the murder rate for San Jose 3.3 per 100,000 people and the year ain't over yet. I never meant to imply that San Jose was the least affordable city in the silicon valley because the whole area is not very affordable. And just because a million people live in a city doesn't mean that they all live there because it is the most affordable place to rent in the united states of america. Silicon valley is not a renters market now rents are rising.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 3,232 times
Crikey. This has just reminded me how different the US is from the UK - it would never occur to me to look up number of murders!

Am trying to work out my budget and living expenses - it's a massive research job and am not sure where to start.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaj75 View Post
Crikey. This has just reminded me how different the US is from the UK - it would never occur to me to look up number of murders!
Do you know what the murder rate is in London? Exactly the same as it is in San Jose, 2/100,000. I guess the only difference is that folks in the US don't have their heads in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose