U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 PM

54 posts, read 36,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
2 bedrooms here in Mountain View for newer apartments are over $3,000. Even in North SJ, they're in the $2,500-3,000 range for newer places. You might be able to still get a 2 bedroom in the $2k range, if you want something older/more run down, in a bad neighborhood, or both. Still, it is becoming less prevalent with the increases in rent prices.

Sure, some people don't have car payments, but older cars do break down. It is inevitable that if you don't have one now, you'll probably have one in the near future. And, at $80k for a family in 3, you're not likely to have the cash to pay for it outright at the time of purchase.

$2500 for a two bedroom apt. is a bit much. Down in the Fremont/Union City/Newark area you can rent a 3/4 bedroom house for that. Who in their right mind would pay $3,000 to rent an apt in freaking Mountain View? Talk about a rip off.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,635,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
$2500 for a two bedroom apt. is a bit much. Down in the Fremont/Union City/Newark area you can rent a 3/4 bedroom house for that. Who in their right mind would pay $3,000 to rent an apt in freaking Mountain View? Talk about a rip off.
I personally think that Mtn View is a lot nicer than Fremont/Union City/Newark and its a lot closer to most of the Silicon Valley jobs. Now, is it overpriced? Sure. But, so is the rest of the Bay Area proportionally.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM

79 posts, read 53,761 times
$3K for a 2 bedroom apt? That's really high which makes me think this, how are people living a good life in the Bay area? I mean, everyone cannot make $100k and up. There just aren't enough jobs paying salaries like that.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,635,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
$3K for a 2 bedroom apt? That's really high which makes me think this, how are people living a good life in the Bay area? I mean, everyone cannot make $100k and up. There just aren't enough jobs paying salaries like that.
1. Many people have lived in their homes for years; their mortgages are much lower
2. Many people in SF/Berkeley who live in older places under rent control; their rent is considerably lower
3. Many folks live in the far east bay or central valley, have much lower mortgages/rent and commute a considerable distance
4. Many folks live in less desirable parts of the east bay with lower rents
5. Many folks have tons of roommates to cut on costs
6. The Silicon Valley is just LOADED with money, so there are plenty of people who can afford this and there is a general housing shortage

Old 10-29-2012, 06:54 AM

22 posts, read 27,092 times
One does not need a 2 br with a baby, really.
1br will cost around $1700 in MV
But overall yes, 80k is very tight, even without a car payment and less spending on gas and insurance.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 19,071 times
I think it could be possible, but you won't have spare cash for eating out, entertainment, etc which is probably fine if you have a baby. Living close to shops and public transport will help keep your gas costs down and you don't really need cable TV if you have a good internet connection. There's always a trade off between spending a bit more to have a nice place, or living as cheaply as you can and maybe feeling miserable. If you are home with a baby, who will soon be an energetic toddler, think hard about how your surroundings are likely to make you feel. I think a park or playground will become important in a year's time.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,678,156 times
It would be doable, but tough. You would need to be frugal and watch expenses.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 AM

835 posts, read 1,249,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Sure, but most of that $1000 "savings" is eaten up with increased gas costs and more wear and tear on your car, not to mention higher health care costs from living in your car all the time.

Long commute time linked with poor health, new study shows
Maybe I missed something. The OP did not mention where they were going to work so I don't know that what you said applies. It does if they have to commute to the south bay, but if they work in say... walnut creek there is no huge expense for the car eating the $1000.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM

14,572 posts, read 12,503,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
2 bedrooms here in Mountain View for newer apartments are over $3,000. Even in North SJ, they're in the $2,500-3,000 range for newer places. You might be able to still get a 2 bedroom in the $2k range, if you want something older/more run down, in a bad neighborhood, or both. Still, it is becoming less prevalent with the increases in rent prices.

Sure, some people don't have car payments, but older cars do break down. It is inevitable that if you don't have one now, you'll probably have one in the near future. And, at $80k for a family in 3, you're not likely to have the cash to pay for it outright at the time of purchase.
I know the rents are jacked up...but the OP doesn't have to live in Mountain View or North SJ. MV has always been more expensive. North SJ is full of new and expensive apartments. Just because you don't live in a newer building doesn't mean you're living in a slum

Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM

14,572 posts, read 12,503,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Maybe I missed something. The OP did not mention where they were going to work so I don't know that what you said applies. It does if they have to commute to the south bay, but if they work in say... walnut creek there is no huge expense for the car eating the $1000.
Well they did post in the SJ forum, so I thought it was reasonable to assume they would be working here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose