U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM

346 posts, read 361,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't have personal experience with Santana Row girls and coke...but this post seems pretty accurate. The South Bay's club/party scene is weak for such a populated area.
This sums it up perfectly. A lot of people say our "nightlife sucks" and what not. But Santa Clara County's takes the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM

14,584 posts, read 12,539,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The partiers go out and party, the geeks stay home. There just happens to be a high geek ratio here.
Yes, that's the problem. Too many geeks. It makes for a socially unbalanced area.

Quote:
Referring to a previous post from gds, I would dispute the notion that there are many ghetto clubs in downtown SJ: If anything, more silly yuppie dance clubs that don't last very long, and what live music venues are left are pretty good. Caravan is a quality lowbrow dive bar from the sixties - not ghetto. Much better than cheesy, plastic Satanic Row.
Actually the ghetto comment wasn't totally off base. Obviously, not everyone who parties downtown is ghetto trash...but I live downtown and the ghetto element definitely exists here.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,638,920 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the problem. Too many geeks. It makes for a socially unbalanced area.

Actually the ghetto comment wasn't totally off base. Obviously, not everyone who parties downtown is ghetto trash...but I live downtown and the ghetto element definitely exists here.
I would agree with this statement. The yuppie crowd tends to hang out more in the downtown areas of Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Gatos. While there may be a yuppie element in both downtown SJ and Santana Row, there is also a large ghetto element, which makes the entire scene seem lower class.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 AM

1,281 posts, read 1,674,212 times
Quote:
If anything, more silly yuppie dance clubs that don't last very long, and what live music venues are left are pretty good. Caravan is a quality lowbrow dive bar from the sixties - not ghetto. Much better than cheesy, plastic Satanic Row.
Quote:
I agree with both of these. There's also a lot of crossover between the "ghetto element" and the "silly yuppie dance clubs that don't last very long," odd as it sounds.

One of the drawbacks of the South Bay is that there's not much of a scene to begin with and what's left is very, very obnoxious.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I would agree with this statement. The yuppie crowd tends to hang out more in the downtown areas of Palo Alto, Mountain View and Los Gatos. While there may be a yuppie element in both downtown SJ and Santana Row, there is also a large ghetto element, which makes the entire scene seem lower class.
I haven't noticed the ghetto element at Santana Row (maybe 'cause I don't go there often), but otherwise I agree.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I haven't noticed the ghetto element at Santana Row (maybe 'cause I don't go there often), but otherwise I agree.
Again, I mentioned that Santana Row is a mix of crowds, so its not all ghetto. I'd say that on any given weekend, spend an hour at Santana Row and then drive to Palo Alto to Stanford Shopping Center, doing people watching in both places. The difference is really dramatic.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Again, I mentioned that Santana Row is a mix of crowds, so its not all ghetto. I'd say that on any given weekend, spend an hour at Santana Row and then drive to Palo Alto to Stanford Shopping Center, doing people watching in both places. The difference is really dramatic.
Yes, I understood what you were saying....I just don't ever recall seeing ghetto type people at Santana Row. Now, it's not like I go there all the time. I really only go a few times a year. If you are used to Stanford Shopping Center, probably everything will seem to have a ghetto element by comparison. I think I've only been to Stanford 3 or 4 times in the 16 years I've lived here. I live too far away, am not a shopper, and can not afford most of the stuff they sell anyway. Same is true for me for most of Santana Row, although they do have some good restaurants and a movie theater, which is why I sometimes go there.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,838,531 times
I'll take the word of people who live in SJ on the ghetto/dance club crowd ration, I base my comments solely on the enormous crowds of obnoxious kids who seem to take over the streets over every time I'm trying to navigate out of Billy Berks.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 AM

346 posts, read 361,255 times
While there is a small "ghetto vibe" to SJ it's quite limited compared to most cities. I don't find this area that ghetto at all. It just sucks regarding nightlife.

Anyone who disagrees, please visit Scottsdale, Dallas, or Miami, and see the 180 for yourself. If you're a heterosexual male, you'll really notice the difference. It amazes me how bad the nightlife is given the population. I went to college in a city with a fraction of the population of San Jose without the neighboring cities mind you. The bar/club scene was superior.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post

Anyone who disagrees, please visit Scottsdale, Dallas, or Miami, and see the 180 for yourself. If you're a heterosexual male, you'll really notice the difference. It amazes me how bad the nightlife is given the population. I went to college in a city with a fraction of the population of San Jose without the neighboring cities mind you. The bar/club scene was superior.
Agreed about the nightlife being superior in the cities you've mentioned above. However, I would actually say that the nightlife in Scottsdale even blows away that in SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose