Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Ohs Ohs started this thread

236 posts, read 712,617 times

Advertisements

I am interested in eventually living in Felton California but want to hear from some of the locals the pros and cons of living there. I think I want to live there because it's in the mountains but still close to the freeway. I have lived in a mountain community in southern California but it was dryer and had mostly oak trees and was only 20 minutes away from town. Some of my concerns with Felton are dealing with the weather, mud slides, mold in the houses, driving far for a commute and traffic. Aside from pros and cons do any of you know people who had similar notions and ended up moving there from a bigger city like San Jose and ended up leaving because they couldn't handle the differences. Am I being too idealistic wanting to live in the beautiful mountains away from tons of people but then not wanting a huge commute during the rainy season with all kinds of dangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
It's a world away from here, but close enough that I consider it the same area. I don't know if that makes sense, nor do I care.

My family used to camp at a place called Cotillion Gardens just outside of Felton. It was a cheap weekend getaway but the environment was cool and woodsy with that fresh, damp air. We could walk to the San Lorenzo River and take a swim, and often did. The town itself I recall being very quaint like you might see up north (Willits being my most familiar gauge) which is surprising considering its location between the valley and Santa Cruz/Capitola.

The commute shouldn't be that long since it's not even all the way "over the hill."

Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
It's a close cousin to Scotts Valley. I grew up in a woodsy, secluded area in eastern Morgan Hill, so it feels like home to me, but a little different because it's cool most of the time rather than hot. Like the area where I grew up, it can be prone to wildfires so you'll want to make sure to keep your defensible space maintained if you move there.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks for your comments krudmonk and sonarrat. I noticed lots of people read this message but didn’t reply, I know it's a boring question but come one readers others of you have to know people who live there or close by??? What about others of you who may not know about Felton per say but know people who tried to live away from bigger communities in the mountains and any of the changes they faced was it a problem for them. IS the commute on a two lane high way too big of a hassle. The houses are cheaper in Felton I've been looking at ones in the mid $200,000 online, is that a red flag that something is wrong with those houses like flood spots or mud slide areas. I would appreciate any information. Thanks a bunch.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
felton is hot and dry in the summer (someone said it's cool but not really - it doesn't get the cooling ocean breezes nor the fog to cool things down) however in the winter if you're in the redwoods (which would be generally difficult to avoid up there) it's going to be dark, damp, wet and cold.
the redwoods are paradise in the spring, summer and fall ... nice and cool, beautiful, shady, etc. but in the winter, living in the redwoods can be a real drag.
it looks romantic if you don't know what it's like but i've spent a long winter in the woods with literally no sun on the property for months ... there are many situations like that in santa cruz county but many rural living spaces in the county that aren't like that.
i'm in santa cruz and can get to felton in less than 1/2 hr and i'd rather be down here ... closer to the ocean with plenty of rural places (both in the woods and not in the woods and a combination) to live in the whole county.
people think felton is less expensive than santa cruz and s.c. county but not by much and sometimes equally as expensive.
i don't know where you're commuting to and from but the real difficult commute in these parts is from santa cruz to san jose in the a.m. and back in the p.m.
felton, brookdale, boulder creek, etc. ... it's funky up there but i like it but not to live.
if you're commuting from felton to san jose you're still gonna have to get on 17 which is a real drag during rush hour and when it's raining and accidents occur .... arrrgggghhhhhhh.
not fun.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Thank you coyoteskye you confirmed some of my concerns. I would be commuting to san Jose until hopefully getting a job in Santa Cruz if I lived in Felton. It's frustrating because if I were to stay out here in this area I could never afford a house in san Jose, maybe a small condo in an area that I don't like. But really if I stayed in the area for job convenience it would be problematic trying to have a family and home. I'm from southern CA a commuter city between San Diego and LA. Homes are affordable there but not a lot of jobs so I would have to commute over an hour to the bigger cities and there are only two major freeways going both directions with terrible traffic. Plus it's a desert community so not as pretty and secluded as the mountains up here. Ultimately I could make it work in either area but what it comes down to is there are better job opportunities here in San Jose and I actually "think" I like the Santa Cruz mountain area and could see myself raising a family there but I know I probably will not handle a long commute on the windy HW17 in the winter rain and mud. I am deathly afraid of driving in the rain because of a big accident I was in. I am a teacher and know I could maybe teach any where if the economy gets better but my goal is to find a new career and San Jose seems to have a stronger economy with more office type opportunities. Thanks for all the impute...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
How about Scotts Valley? Not as cool and damp in winter (fewer trees).

Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohs View Post
Thank you coyoteskye you confirmed some of my concerns. I would be commuting to san Jose until hopefully getting a job in Santa Cruz if I lived in Felton. It's frustrating because if I were to stay out here in this area I could never afford a house in san Jose, maybe a small condo in an area that I don't like. But really if I stayed in the area for job convenience it would be problematic trying to have a family and home. I'm from southern CA a commuter city between San Diego and LA. Homes are affordable there but not a lot of jobs so I would have to commute over an hour to the bigger cities and there are only two major freeways going both directions with terrible traffic. Plus it's a desert community so not as pretty and secluded as the mountains up here. Ultimately I could make it work in either area but what it comes down to is there are better job opportunities here in San Jose and I actually "think" I like the Santa Cruz mountain area and could see myself raising a family there but I know I probably will not handle a long commute on the windy HW17 in the winter rain and mud. I am deathly afraid of driving in the rain because of a big accident I was in. I am a teacher and know I could maybe teach any where if the economy gets better but my goal is to find a new career and San Jose seems to have a stronger economy with more office type opportunities. Thanks for all the impute...
Your welcome.
Bayareahillbilly suggested scotts valley and if i were raising a family i would rather do so in scotts valley ... actually, i'd rather do it in santa cruz county but if you want to be up there a bit, scotts valley would be a good choice.
I like felton and the mountain communities up there but just to visit.
I find them too dark and strange to live in ... the vibe is a bit weird and i like weird but only if it's a friendly weird.
I'm being very subjective of course.
If you don't like driving in the rain (i can relate ... my mom was in a serious accident in the rain when i was a child and ever since then, it's my least favourite weather to drive in ... i'd rather drive on ice and snow 'cause of that association with my moms accident and at least mountain people know how to drive) HW17 will freak you out in the winter.
It's one of the most dangerous roads in the whole state with an average of more than 1 accident a day.
There are too many bad drivers in too much of a hurry and to drive like an a** h*** on a roller coaster of a road like 17 is just asking for trouble.
It would be cool if you could find a job in santa cruz county.
It is very expensive here but it's a wonderful place to live.
Good luck.
It must be hot over there today!!! (i'm assuming you're in san jose now).
It's 93 in the shade here at the moment.
Must be over 100 in san jose.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
91 in Evergreen at the moment, and supposed to stay around that range all week.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Yeah yahoo weather says it's 91 over here in San Jose, it doesn't feel that hot though I haven't felt the need to turn on the AC. I've looked into Scotts Valley and it is more expensive then the other mountain communities and perhaps if the economy keeps going down then maybe I could afford a house but I may also not have a job well at least one that would pay enough. I have been pink slipped already this year and then had it taken back but since we are still waiting on a part of the budget to pass I am walking that line where I would be the next one to go. Like I mentioned earlier though I'm looking for a new career out look so maybe if that happens this will be my chance to make a BIG change.
Hey Coyoteskye can you elaborate more on "weird" I think I know what you are referring to but want some examples. Some of the people I've encountered while in Felton and Scotts Valley seemed more secluded and didn't like interacting with people so they seemed less friendly which isn't so bad I like to be some what secluded but it does give an over all impression. Also I noticed a lot of scary "hillbilly" types who looked a little rough rooming the streets probably living on government assistance. You find that any where though even more so then I am used to over here in San Jose well the areas I can afford to live in anyway. So I'm not totally bothered but wouldn't want to be surrounded by that sort of crowd and I wonder if the less expensive houses out there would attract that type of cliental. Just like here there are "good" areas and "bad" areas I would like to not have to deal with any "bad" areas where ever I end up buying a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose