U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM

5,014 posts, read 4,061,201 times
I never do, too much risk. We use AC if we need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:57 PM

753 posts, read 811,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butercup View Post
We (family with 3 young kids) are moving to the Willow Glen area from South Florida. We've spent some time out there and love love love the weather (as one does) but I haven't figured out the window thing. Where we currently live there is enough of a burglary problem (and all the homes are one-story ranches) that on the rare occasion that the weather permits open windows, we still go around closing them when we leave for any length of time and at night.

What does everyone do in San Jose? I realize in certain areas it's probably safe, and if we luck out with a 2 story house I'll feel comfortable leaving the windows open. If we didn't have little kids I'd be less worried as well, but is it the norm to leave them open all the time or do people have armed screens or something I don't know about? Please cut me some slack if I sound paranoid, 40 years in Broward county, FL will do that to a person.
Though you didn't say what part of WG you're moving to and I'm not sure what "the window thing" or who "everyone.. in San Jose" is- given than SJ is a diverse city with a diverse population of transplants- from South Florida, Mexico, Vietnam, etc.- I will chime in.

I think your "paranoia" is for the better as Willow Glen is a nice neighborhood which is bordered by East Willow Glen on the east side of R87. EWG is otherwise known as "ghetto glen" because it's filled with mass-reproducing illegal immigrants and other subsidized people whose gangbanger children feel entitled to steal from those who subsidize them.

I suggest closing all your windows whenever you're not home and likely all the first floor windows at night unless you do indeed place bars over them (idk the proper term for it). An alarm system is a good idea of it's in the budget.

I encourage you to move into your picturesque neighborhood as people like you keep it that way rather than it being overrun by subsidized people.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM

7,391 posts, read 6,256,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

I think your "paranoia" is for the better as Willow Glen is a nice neighborhood which is bordered by East Willow Glen on the east side of R87. EWG is otherwise known as "ghetto glen" because it's filled with mass-reproducing illegal immigrants and other subsidized people whose gangbanger children feel entitled to steal from those who subsidize them.
Or maybe it's a place that has a good amount of Latino people who are US citizens who work their asses off for a pittance, while trolls casually plant posts around the internet labelling them as subhumans and criminals. I'm sure our friends at El Grullo, Grewal Market, Badalamente, 5 Spot Chivas Grill, Bibo's Pizza, Willow Glen Meats and Smokehouse, and Gardner Community Center are quite impressed with such characterizations.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM

6,733 posts, read 16,338,854 times
When I was living in a part of Evergreen that had pedestrian traffic, day and night, I would leave the windows open all night with a fan in my own room so that the house could cool off, but not in the rest of the house. If I wasn't home, then it was pulled drapes, closed windows, and all doors locked.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM

159 posts, read 188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butercup View Post
We (family with 3 young kids) are moving to the Willow Glen area from South Florida. We've spent some time out there and love love love the weather (as one does) but I haven't figured out the window thing. Where we currently live there is enough of a burglary problem (and all the homes are one-story ranches) that on the rare occasion that the weather permits open windows, we still go around closing them when we leave for any length of time and at night.

What does everyone do in San Jose? I realize in certain areas it's probably safe, and if we luck out with a 2 story house I'll feel comfortable leaving the windows open. If we didn't have little kids I'd be less worried as well, but is it the norm to leave them open all the time or do people have armed screens or something I don't know about? Please cut me some slack if I sound paranoid, 40 years in Broward county, FL will do that to a person.
In the Willow Glen area probably unlikely but not entirely impossible. Why take the chance. Every once in a while you hear about "random isolated crimes", so it can happen. A few months ago I saw news reports that in some upscale areas of Palo Alto were being burglarized, so it can happen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose