U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,431 times
Default Where to live for good commute to Cupertino

Hi!

My husband is interviewing soon for a job in Cupertino and we are going down to look at the area this weekend. I have been looking at housing prices on Trulia and suffering from sticker shock but as we have paid off our current house and would only move if the salary the company would pay worked for us, we will be able to afford a house.

My husband does not want a difficult commute; he'd rather stay put. He wants to live no more than 10 miles from work and would ideally like to bike commute. Distance isn't so much the issue with the biking (10 miles is not a problem for him) but safety is a concern. Is there an area we could live near Cupertino (Apple campus) that would be better for bike commuting because of traffic/bike paths/etc..,?

Also, within the 10 mile radius of Cupertino, there are a couple of communities that seem somewhat more affordable in a dollars per square foot sense: Campbell and Willow Glen. Living there would seem to require a commute on Hwy 280 though; how is the traffic on this road?

We have a fourth grader, but don't require the "best" schools; they just have to be good enough. We do, however, want to live in a neighborhood with other children for him to play with rather than in some isolated local. If there was a natural trail or area near us, that would be a plus.

Any thoughts or Suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 AM

740 posts, read 863,870 times
When we first moved to San Jose, we lived in the 95129 -Westgate area of San Jose. It's probably a 10 minute drive to Apple, and there is a bike trail down Lawerence Expy - although I'm not sure where it leads to. We have adult children, so I can't help you out with schools - there was an elementary school down the block from where we lived, and there were lots of young kids in the area.

It was a nice safe area with a ton of amenities (Trader Joe's, Target, AMC, Lucky). Campbell and Willow Glen are nice areas too. The commutes from either aren't too bad - 15 minutes or so without traffic. If I lived in Campbell, I'd probably take W. Campbell, and cut across down Prospect and up De Anza to get to Cupertino. Yes, lights, but better than sitting on 85.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 AM

6,555 posts, read 15,652,148 times
Anywhere to the west and/or north of Apple will be no problem for commuting; these also tend to be the most expensive areas. De Anza Blvd. itself is not very safe for biking, but Homestead Road and Foothill Expressway are popular bike commute routes.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM

461 posts, read 333,778 times
I lived in Campbell and worked in Cupertino for over 15 years. About 6-7 miles from Apple and about a 15 minutes car commute. I rarely took the freeway during commute hours, and had several different routes to choose from. If I left home for work after 9:30, I would take 85. If I left work after 7PM, I would take I-280 to highway 17 home. Otherwise it was surface streets. And the commute was always 13-18 minutes each day, no matter what time (unless I was blocked by the train, or there was an accident).

As already mentioned, there are nice areas around westgate (Prospect & Lawrence Expressway). There are also a few seedy areas around there. West of westgate, you can live in Saratoga (nice, expensive 70s homes), or just a tad north of prospect (either San Jose or Cupertino, depending) which should be a *little* less expensive, but there are some fine neighborhoods. That would probably be < 10 minute car commute and about a 4-5 mile bike commute.

Campbell is all over the map : there are homes from the 40s, and luxury homes being built right now (generally on lots where they tore out a 1950s small house on a large lot, then they put in 3-4 large homes). There are more "country-ish" feel areas (south near Los Gatos, in the "San Tomas" area) and a small downtown with 1920s-era faux victorian houses. There are appts (some OK, some good, some crappy) and a few larger outside malls. There are strip mall zones (most of Winchester Blvd south of I-280) and even some gated communities (but those may be officially in Saratoga, just over the city line).

Living on the west side of Campbell wouldn't make the commute MUCH longer, and one could bike down Prospect (which has a bike lane) and then north through the neighborhoods (say, Blaney or Miller) to avoid (most of) De Anza Blvd.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,828,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoertzen View Post
Also, within the 10 mile radius of Cupertino, there are a couple of communities that seem somewhat more affordable in a dollars per square foot sense: Campbell and Willow Glen. Living there would seem to require a commute on Hwy 280 though; how is the traffic on this road?
I suspect that if you found Willow Glen affordable on a cost per square foot basis, you were looking at a pretty seedy area that is not considered the desirable part of Willow Glen (i.e. "Ghetto Glen").

Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM

6,555 posts, read 15,652,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Living on the west side of Campbell wouldn't make the commute MUCH longer, and one could bike down Prospect (which has a bike lane) and then north through the neighborhoods (say, Blaney or Miller) to avoid (most of) De Anza Blvd.
Miller Ave. is definitely bike friendly, to the point of coming at the expense of car traffic.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 PM

296 posts, read 239,406 times
Mountain View and then take free shuttle to the apple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose