Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,585 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'll be starting at Google in a few months as an engineer and I'm looking for an area that is safer and cheaper than SF Bay Area. From these threads it seems that Palo Alto is generally an all around good place for singles in their 20's. I don't know if this fits my requirements though.

I'm looking for an apartment in a safe area, close to some nightlife (I'm not a big nightlife person, but I would like the option to walk to a bar or restaurant). Commuting is not an issue since the shuttles go around the city, but I would prefer a 30 minute commute to Mountain View. Also I have a dog that'd I'd like to be able to walk around the city and see some nice scenery. My biggest pluses would be if I'm within walking distances to coffee shops, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Pretty much after re-reading this post, I'm looking for a safe neighborhood in a city with lots to do surrounded by young people(20s) with a budget of 1000-1500 Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Also if you have any specific apartment recommendations please let me know and thanks!

Last edited by whohuh; 11-25-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM

23,517 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Mountain View has a very nice downtown with some nightlife and is very safe. It is also surrounded by young professionals. You would need to increase your budget a bit though.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Mountain View has nice bars and restaurants, but I think you are missing out not to experience San Francisco as a young person.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,671 times
Your budget puts you in a roommate situation pretty much everywhere in commuting distance to Mountain View.
I agree that being young, having money in your pocket and living in the city is an experience you shouldn't skip!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Mountain View has nice bars and restaurants, but I think you are missing out not to experience San Francisco as a young person.
I was considering this before, I know it wouldn't be a problem with commuting since I wouldn't have to drive, but do you know if it's possible to live comfortably with my budget? Or should I consider getting a roommate?

And thank you both for the replies

Edit: Wow gone down south, you read my mind lol

Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whohuh View Post
I was considering this before, I know it wouldn't be a problem with commuting since I wouldn't have to drive, but do you know if it's possible to live comfortably with my budget? Or should I consider getting a roommate?

And thank you both for the replies

Edit: Wow gone down south, you read my mind lol
Sorry, I don't know, but someone who does should chime in - hope you can make it happen. Have some fun! So much to experience in "The City."

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,278,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes, but if you are working crazy hours at Google and doing the crazy commute back and forth to the city, you're not really experiencing SF, are you? You can always go up there on a weekend, if need be.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yes, but if you are working crazy hours at Google and doing the crazy commute back and forth to the city, you're not really experiencing SF, are you? You can always go up there on a weekend, if need be.
This sounds like good advice. If you work in Mountain View, I wouldn't recommend living in SF unless you're sure you have to be in a big city, which doesn't sound like the OP's case. In my opinion her best choice is Mountain View--budget is a little low but it fits the rest of her requirements, and there's not really anywhere within a reasonable commuting distance that's significantly cheaper.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM

23,517 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I agree that SF is an awesome place, but commuting to Mountain View (Google) everyday is simply added stress. If you can telecommute or have another remote work option, I say live in SF!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I made up my mind to go to SF - I can always move if needed but I'd like the experience as well, and another engineer told me that work from home happens quite often

I can also work from the shuttle - free wifi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose