U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:23 AM

1,313 posts, read 537,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If you can find something in Willow Glen, that would make for an excellent living/working arrangement. Right near downtown SJ.
Except that you're either driving/crawling on Lincoln, Meridian/San Carlos, Curtner/87 or Minnesota/Alma/87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyite14 View Post
I'm well aware of the COL in the Bay Area but I'm starting to worry (due to the comments on this board) that $180,000 for a family of 4 is not enough to live comfortably in the area. Hopefully I'm going crazy but I was hoping some locals could provide some feedback for me? Thanks!
Have you taken a look at Campbell? Meridian -> Southwest Expressway -> 280 -> DTSJ isn't so bad. And the Campbell area is nice, and generally Bay Area affordable so long as you distance yourself from the Campbell/Willow Glen border.

The area bounded by Hamilton/Moorpark/Winchester/17 is okay. Quiet neighborhood, walkable, with a bigger park. But, the traffic down Moorpark and on to 280 can be painfully slow some times of the day.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 PM

420 posts, read 451,795 times
It's been argued both ways on this board whether 180K is enough for comfortable living in the Bay Area. It really depends on your level of comfort. Some adjustment will definitely be required, because outside of Manhattan, Bay Area is in a league of its own with regard to the cost of living in the US. Just a couple of quick numbers for you, a household income of 180K will put you in the top 6% of all households in the US and only 17% in the Bay area. Per capita income of 45K is a little above the median for Santa Clara county ($39,804), pretty much even with the median for San Mateo county ($43,958) and below the median for SF county ($45,478).

Old 12-22-2012, 11:24 AM

1,910 posts, read 1,310,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyite14 View Post
I'm well aware of the COL in the Bay Area but I'm starting to worry (due to the comments on this board) that $180,000 for a family of 4 is not enough to live comfortably in the area. Hopefully I'm going crazy but I was hoping some locals could provide some feedback for me? Thanks!
You should be able to live quite comfortably on $180.000 /year.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 34,988 times
Your income is more than sufficient for a nice lifestyle. If you are working in downtown SJ and want to live nearby, thus avoiding the quality of life issues that come with a long commute, there are some very nice neighborhoods ( Rosegarden, Willow Glen,Campbell ) near downtown SJ. The challenge will be finding a good school,which will take some research. You may want to find a private school for your children.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 PM

104 posts, read 71,229 times
My husband and my income was slightly more than yours and we rented a great house for $2800/month in San Jose at the Campbell/Los Gatos border-that entire area is very nice and the Campbell Union School District is one of the better ones. I worked downtown and the commute was great! It's also very near everything you need.
South San Jose/Almaden is also very nice and has good schools, but the commute will be a lot longer.

Not sure how things are now, but we looked at Craigslist for homes, and had to be right on it! Nice houses in good areas were snatched up quick, so you have to be ready to move on them.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM

457 posts, read 292,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Except that you're either driving/crawling on Lincoln, Meridian/San Carlos, Curtner/87 or Minnesota/Alma/87.
Except that it's three miles, so who cares? Why are you being such a downer? A three mile commute on any street would be extraordinarily short for the South Bay.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 PM

867 posts, read 443,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You should be able to live quite comfortably on $180.000 /year.
This, as long as you don't live in a truly exclusive area.

The median rent in San Jose is roughly $1900-$2000. $3000 for rent should place you in solid neighborhoods.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Except that it's three miles, so who cares? Why are you being such a downer? A three mile commute on any street would be extraordinarily short for the South Bay.

It's hardly a downer to point out both sides of an argument. The reality is that Willow and Lincoln Glens weren't designed with so many cars in mind. Mind you, at one point Willow Glen had a trolley (1930s). So, its a lot of cars filing down thin gridded streets on to a few thoroughfares, none of which are expressways. Meridian is the largest, and, while only four lanes, it's the main route to 280 for neighborhoods as far south as Branham. It's lots of stops getting out of Willow Glen. And people overestimate time spent stopped vs. spent moving, so the commute feels longer. When you're thinking of taking out a half million-plus mortgage, you probably want to know what commuting is like, regardless of distance.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 AM

13,836 posts, read 11,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
It's hardly a downer to point out both sides of an argument. The reality is that Willow and Lincoln Glens weren't designed with so many cars in mind. Mind you, at one point Willow Glen had a trolley (1930s). So, its a lot of cars filing down thin gridded streets on to a few thoroughfares, none of which are expressways. Meridian is the largest, and, while only four lanes, it's the main route to 280 for neighborhoods as far south as Branham. It's lots of stops getting out of Willow Glen. And people overestimate time spent stopped vs. spent moving, so the commute feels longer. When you're thinking of taking out a half million-plus mortgage, you probably want to know what commuting is like, regardless of distance.
I have to say there is some truth to this. I used to live on the north end of Willow Glen and commute to the east side of downtown. The commute from door to door was about 20 minutes...not long, but longer than you'd think. What slowed my commute was all the traffic lights downtown and then the parking garage where I had to park, then walking the 1/2 block to my workplace.

I think the OP might consider living right downtown or just north of downtown..although schools may be an issue. Another neighborhood not mentioned yet is Naglee Park, just east of downtown, but once again, I don't know about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose