Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM

89 posts, read 206,313 times

Advertisements

In my current situation, I'm way out on the other side of the country in the Southeast. I make $52K. My wife works too for about half of my salary and we live fairly comfortably, though we live in an apartment that is too small and though I have a job that I strongly dislike. I figure we'll burn through $10K just to move our stuff cross country. If it's not going to be worth it because we'll be living in a shoebox, then we might as well stay put. I'll talk with my wife tonight and see what she thinks.

I knew the Bay Area would be expensive, but I didn't think it would be PROHIBITIVELY expensive. That caught me by surprise. We have very good credit and not a lot of debt, but even that doesn't seem to be enough for San Jose life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:35 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
He has 2 kids, not 4, but your statement still applies even with 2 kids.
Oops, I misread the OP. But yes, it's still not enough money.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Looks like you have already gotten several good responses and seem close to a decision, but I will throw in my 2 cents. I have a somewhat similar situation to you, earning low-70s at a government job in the San Jose area, with similar student loan debt, with a family of three and no dog (we opted for cats instead). Also my wife is a grad student and eared about 12k last year from teaching fellowships so our total income was in the 80s. So with about 20k more, one less child, and easier pets to find rentals with:

- We live in Oakland and I commute about 3 hrs/day roundtrip
- We in a 1 bedroom apartment and have 1 car
- It's pretty much impossible to save money

If it wasn't for the promise of promotion, the generous public employee retirement & medical benefits, and the hope that my wife will actually make money some day, this situation would not be worth it to us.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Looks like you have already gotten several good responses and seem close to a decision, but I will throw in my 2 cents. I have a somewhat similar situation to you, earning low-70s at a government job in the San Jose area, with similar student loan debt, with a family of three and no dog (we opted for cats instead). Also my wife is a grad student and eared about 12k last year from teaching fellowships so our total income was in the 80s. So with about 20k more, one less child, and easier pets to find rentals with:

- We live in Oakland and I commute about 3 hrs/day roundtrip
- We in a 1 bedroom apartment and have 1 car
- It's pretty much impossible to save money

If it wasn't for the promise of promotion, the generous public employee retirement & medical benefits, and the hope that my wife will actually make money some day, this situation would not be worth it to us.
This is a perfect example of the rat race/treadmill we have in the Bay Area for people raising kids.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,998 times
$65K doesn't go far in the San Jose or the Silicon Valley but there are 10's of thousands of families living in the area that find a way to make it happen. You will be looking at a small apartment in a less desirable area. $400k for a house isn't going that far either maybe a condo or an old dated home in a bad neighborhood. If you want to do this and have a comfortable home in a decent area you are looking at commuting over an hour each way and living in the east bay along the 880 corridor somewhere like Hayward where you can buy a decent house for under $300k.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
$65K doesn't go far in the San Jose or the Silicon Valley but there are 10's of thousands of families living in the area that find a way to make it happen.
They pack about a dozen of their extended family under one roof. Not the most desirable of living situations.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazerunner View Post
In my current situation, I'm way out on the other side of the country in the Southeast. I make $52K. My wife works too for about half of my salary and we live fairly comfortably, though we live in an apartment that is too small and though I have a job that I strongly dislike. I figure we'll burn through $10K just to move our stuff cross country. If it's not going to be worth it because we'll be living in a shoebox, then we might as well stay put. I'll talk with my wife tonight and see what she thinks.

I knew the Bay Area would be expensive, but I didn't think it would be PROHIBITIVELY expensive. That caught me by surprise. We have very good credit and not a lot of debt, but even that doesn't seem to be enough for San Jose life.
Based on your personal info., I'd say you're much better off where you are now, even if you hate your job.

The Bay Area really is prohibitively expensive, especially when kids are part of the picture.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Live out in the boonies and commute then commute some more. Los Banos. Tracy.

Good luck.

ACE Train ... learn it.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM

765 posts, read 2,440,764 times
Quote:
Live out in the boonies and commute then commute some more. Los Banos. Tracy
Move to Texas - forget California.............

Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
I'm sure there are families living here that make $65k or less. It all depends on how big of a house you want and where you want to live. For renting, I pay $1900 /month for a 950 sq ft two-bedroom apartment in what I consider to be a nice, quiet, pretty neigbhborhood in Sunnyvale. In Sunnyvale, a standard two or three bedroom house at about 1300 sq feet with a small yard will sell for about $750k. My understanding is that smallish houses in the East Bay (places like Castro Valley) sell for $350k. Also the town of Morgan Hill (20 miles south of San Jose) is substantially cheaper.

Basically compared to the rest of the country, two things are expensive here: housing and anything having to do with automobiles (mechanics, gasoline prices, registration, etc.) You can expect everything else to be the same prices as what you're used to and that includes restaurants, food, utilities, shopping, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose