Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:25 AM

122 posts, read 259,515 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone recommend me a place that suits my needs? I'll be commuting to Milpitas. Currently I don't have a car but planning to get one once there. I'm willing to sacrifice 30 minute drive one way. My budget is 1.5k max but can be 1.6k if that'd get me the best for the cheapest.

I'm 24 yo single male, LOVE nature, scenery but it's not required. I like rural places but still should be able to drive down to a downtown to have fun. I like all people but want to live in a diverse place where I can see all different of people, I don't want to feel like a minority (i'm white if that matters).

I'd love to get a 1BR-2BR house but I don't think with this budget it's reasonable. I'm ok with apartment complexes as well. I looked at evergreen, morgan hill but it's so expensive

I'd love to hear from people experienced about the area and went through the same process before.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM

23,304 posts, read 23,689,780 times
To commute to Milpitas, Fremont or San Jose would be good choices, or Milpitas itself. You may need to increase your budget a little though.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,433,199 times
When are you moving here or are you living here now?

When we moved here in 2010, I spent 3 full days looking at homes - the rental market was crazy then, and from what friends tell me it's worse now. I feel for you - I wouldn't want to replicate the experience.

Craigslist is your best method to finding a place, since you can narrow down the neighborhoods, and price points. Everything looks great on there - be forewarned, you will discover new definitions for "updated", "pristine", and "renovated". Be sure to leave your dog behind, and be prepared to pay up to double for a security deposit, and to move in immediately. When we were looking we saw 2 places where the tenants were in the process of moving out. I think 1 was being evicted, because they were PI$$ED at me being there looking at the place. I also went into several that the tenants were currently living in - so the places were filthy, people hanging around, and we walked into rooms where people were still sleeping in the bedrooms (thank goodness they were only sleeping!).

It's definitely a landlords market here, and they can totally dictate the terms because there are soooo many people looking for rentals here. I placed an ad on Craigslist and had numerous landlords email me. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,055 times
so you want true diversity but you also dont want to be a minority?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM

30,859 posts, read 36,771,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
When are you moving here or are you living here now?

When we moved here in 2010, I spent 3 full days looking at homes - the rental market was crazy then, and from what friends tell me it's worse now. I feel for you - I wouldn't want to replicate the experience.

Craigslist is your best method to finding a place, since you can narrow down the neighborhoods, and price points. Everything looks great on there - be forewarned, you will discover new definitions for "updated", "pristine", and "renovated". Be sure to leave your dog behind, and be prepared to pay up to double for a security deposit, and to move in immediately. When we were looking we saw 2 places where the tenants were in the process of moving out. I think 1 was being evicted, because they were PI$$ED at me being there looking at the place. I also went into several that the tenants were currently living in - so the places were filthy, people hanging around, and we walked into rooms where people were still sleeping in the bedrooms (thank goodness they were only sleeping!).

It's definitely a landlords market here, and they can totally dictate the terms because there are soooo many people looking for rentals here. I placed an ad on Craigslist and had numerous landlords email me. Good luck.
^^This^^ is a typical story.

Right now there are a fair number of rentals avaialble in downtown San Jose becuase of the Winter Break. Google the number for Westwood Properties. They rent clean, but no frills apartments in older buildings in downtown SJ and I'm sure you could get something for $1500 from them. Although it's not overly lively by any stretch downtown SJ is more fun than Milpitas and not too far of a commute.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM

30,859 posts, read 36,771,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
so you want true diversity but you also dont want to be a minority?
It's funny how so many people want opposite things .

Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Maybe my definition was wrong. I meant, equal number of people from different backgrounds. I know some places are like indian communities, chinese communities etc. By definition, they are diverse, to me where a majority of people live in one place, i can become a minority.

But thanks for the replies. It seems like the best option is creating a craigslist ad.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Any recommendations on what good regions would be convenient?

Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,727,051 times
Morgan Hill is one of the cheapest towns around here. You can also look at East Bay towns like Hayward or Castro Valley.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,010,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Morgan Hill is one of the cheapest towns around here. You can also look at East Bay towns like Hayward or Castro Valley.
Morgan Hill is really not cheap. It's slightly cheaper than some other South Bay cities, but is not even close to being one of the cheapest places to live in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose