U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM

6,051 posts, read 5,370,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
ETC: estimation of completion

And so here's the exact wording: "Tenant shall pay all utilities except water, sewer, and garbage. Tenant shall have the PGE meter for their unit changed into their name upon move-in. PGE utility invoice for the heating/air conditioning and common area shall be billed to each tenant on a pro-rota basis based on the square footage of their unit. Billing will be sent monthly and due upon receipt."

What's this supposed to mean?
I have no idea and it sounds like straight con man gibberish.

As beautiful as this place is, I think you need to sit down with the LL and/or realtor to find out what this means.

How can you pro-rate an a/c or heating charge if the tenant doesn't use it?

How do you know what the tenant will use and WTF is a "common area"??

Either YOUR heat/ac is separate from the OTHER TENANTS or it's not. If it's not, then for ME that would be a PROBLEM.

Energy bills in California can be very expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM

3,604 posts, read 3,298,006 times
The building has multiple units, plus common areas. Common areas would be hallways, staircases.

It appears there are individual meters for heat/AC in each unit, plus an additional unit for the noted common areas. Thus, each tenant is paying for his/her unit, plus a share of the heat for the other meter, which serves the common areas.

It sounds like gobbleygook, but is actually common. However, you should check with your realtor to be absolutely sure.

And there is no reason to be signed a lease standing in a hallway or in the unit. Tell the realtor you want to go back to the office. They're just trying to pin you down quick. That is a beautiful unit so don't wait very long to make a decision, someone else will snatch it up. But at the same time, the drive back to the office will give you a moment to catch your breath and think of things you might want to ask before signing.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM

122 posts, read 113,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
The building has multiple units, plus common areas. Common areas would be hallways, staircases.

It appears there are individual meters for heat/AC in each unit, plus an additional unit for the noted common areas. Thus, each tenant is paying for his/her unit, plus a share of the heat for the other meter, which serves the common areas.

It sounds like gobbleygook, but is actually common. However, you should check with your realtor to be absolutely sure.

And there is no reason to be signed a lease standing in a hallway or in the unit. Tell the realtor you want to go back to the office. They're just trying to pin you down quick. That is a beautiful unit so don't wait very long to make a decision, someone else will snatch it up. But at the same time, the drive back to the office will give you a moment to catch your breath and think of things you might want to ask before signing.
This is too late. Well we ended up being in the office. I read all terms on my own but that moment I wasn't quite sure what I understood from this term and thought it was what you described and signed the lease. Do I still have a right to check on that? I didn't make any payments and said will bring it on Monday. Can I still terminate the lease if this is not the case?

I think the problem here is the AND clause. If it said the electricity bill of the common area and not "AC-heater and commmon area" and then you would think the AC and heater of the common area. But in this situation, it's quite vague.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 PM

748 posts, read 1,053,199 times
I think you are ok. It seems reasonable if there is heating/air in the hallways and stairs for the tenants to share the costs. You would think the landlord would simplify the process by just including it in the rent.

What exactly are you worried about? What are you thinking is your worst case scenario in this situation? You found a GREAT place. The lease is only for 6 months, if things aren't what you thought you aren't stuck there, and only have the hassle of finding another place and moving again.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
I think you are ok. It seems reasonable if there is heating/air in the hallways and stairs for the tenants to share the costs. You would think the landlord would simplify the process by just including it in the rent.

What exactly are you worried about?
What are you thinking is your worst case scenario in this situation? You found a GREAT place. The lease is only for 6 months, if things aren't what you thought you aren't stuck there, and only have the hassle of finding another place and moving again.
Well, I have a problem with paying for the heating/AC in the "common areas". I don't want to.

Why can't the LL do this?

Like I said before, California energy bills can be very expensive. What if the OP doesn't want to use heat or AC in his apartment to cut down on expenses, then what? Why should he pay the LLs electric bill? Isn't the LL getting enough from rental income to pay for it himself?

I don't like cheapness or people trying to get over.

But you're right. It's only for six months and then he can dip if he doesn't like it. The real test will come in the warmer months, I guess.

Last edited by marilyn220; 01-06-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Marilyn - are you living in San Jose? The Landlords here can do what they want because there is so few rentals available. No smokers, no pets, double security deposits - so why pay the electric on the common area?

I would assume the Landlord used to pay the bill and got tired of the tenants leaving the door open and having crazy high a/c bills or heating bills.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Marilyn - are you living in San Jose? The Landlords here can do what they want because there is so few rentals available. No smokers, no pets, double security deposits - so why pay the electric on the common area?

I would assume the Landlord used to pay the bill and got tired of the tenants leaving the door open and having crazy high a/c bills or heating bills.
No, but I lived in LA for several years. I have heard great things about San Jose though.

I guess when it's a LL's market, there really isn't much you can do.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM

122 posts, read 113,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, I have a problem with paying for the heating/AC in the "common areas". I don't want to.

Like I said before, California energy bills can be very expensive. What if the OP doesn't want to use heat or AC in his apartment to cut down on expenses, then what? Why should he pay the LLs electric bill? Isn't the LL getting enough from rental income to pay for it himself?

I don't like cheapness or people trying to get over.

But you're right. It's only for six months and then he can dip if he doesn't like it. The real test will come in the warmer months, I guess.
Yes my only relief will be it's for 6 months! I don't have problems with paying PGE for the common area but don't want to pay someone else's own apartment heating-AC. I mean once I enter the house, I also want to feel warm or cold so I can pay from my share for that.

Tomorrow I'll talk to my corporate lawyers about what this means. I'll update you all.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Shadow - How is your new apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose