Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM

444 posts, read 819,976 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I went out to the Oakridge Mall area and went into a hair salon and asked if they took walk-ins. The lady said they didn't but one of the stylist had and opening in 30min. The cost of that stylist cutting my hair would be $60 because of her level.

So, I'm confused! One stylist was $40 and the other was $60? I haven't gotten my hair cut in this area before. (I'm from Ohio, I've gone to the same stylist for years)

I'm wondering is there a difference (in the way my hair will look) if a $20 salon cuts my hair, or a $40 person, or a $60 person? Or is that I'm going to have tea and she will put fancy products in my hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,984,578 times
The difference in cost generally correlates with how much training/experience the hairdresser has. Someone just out of beauty school that's just beginning in the field may charge 20-30 (you may find them at places like Supercuts or Great Clips or similar).

I honestly couldn't tell you if a 20$ haircut would turn out great or horrible because talent in the field is highly dependent on the individual that's cutting your hair. I've had a few people tell me that they could rarely tell the difference between a 50$ haircut and a 100$ cut but they've always been able to tell a 20$ cut from a pricier one if that makes any sense.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 PM

10 posts, read 20,741 times
As clongirl said, it generally has to do with the stylist and their training and level of experience. My old hairdresser was in the middle of the pack price-wise in the tiered system they had in the salon and she was fabulous. I went somewhere else and got the junior stylist (or whatever they call it - the one just out of school apparently) and she did a bad job with my hair - and had an attitude to boot! (Keep in mind not all jr stylists are this incompetent of course, I just think the one I had was having a bad hair day ... bad pun I know, heh)

If you are looking for something basic, I think the lower level stylist would suffice. But for something more advanced, I think I would spend the extra $$$ to get someone that has the additional training and experience for piece of mind.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togepi View Post

If you are looking for something basic, I think the lower level stylist would suffice. But for something more advanced, I think I would spend the extra $$$ to get someone that has the additional training and experience for piece of mind.
What is defined a basic and what is more advanced?

I have really thick fluffy hair, and the last three times it was cut, I felt like they didn't get the dead hair off. I don't want it dyed or highlighted or anything, but I'm tired of weird ends and no shape (or worse, triangle). I also feel weird paying $60-75 for someone who barley speaks english and I have no clue if she understands me or not.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM

112 posts, read 199,913 times
When I lived in San Jose, I went to a salon in Willow Glen and paid $75 for a cut. I LOVED my stylist, and quite frankly wouldn't go to anyone else, and the price was competitive for the area. What you were quoted sounds like a pretty good price to me from my 17 years in San Jose.

I'm thinking you pay more for experience and sometimes location-the better areas will cost more (although this may be a chicken and egg thing, the better stylists are probably in the better area salons).

If you are interested, I went to Lindey at DiModa Salon-highly recommend her and wish I could have taken her to Houston with me
DiModa Salon | Hair | Art | Ambiance

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM

264 posts, read 831,214 times
Don't walk into the mall salons! Been there done that walking out with sketchy very mediocre cuts. Use yelp and look through reviews. You can usually get a very good cut for $50-60 from a well recommended stylist.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
$12 at Today's Hair, 3562 Broadway, Eureka. My last guy charged $25 but he moved to Redding and I'm just as happy with my new haircutter. No frills, no tea, just in and out quickly and I love it.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
Don't walk into the mall salons! Been there done that walking out with sketchy very mediocre cuts. Use yelp and look through reviews. You can usually get a very good cut for $50-60 from a well recommended stylist.
I tried yelp. I think I choose the wrong person tho she cut my long hair way to short for me.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I tried yelp. I think I choose the wrong person tho she cut my long hair way to short for me.
But at least the split ends are gone.

A place for haircuts few know about in San Jose is the Cosmetology Department at San Jose City College.
Ridiculously cheap for quality work. Whoever is doing your hair is being supervised by professors and staff, so it's basically guaranteed.

These are some reviews of their nail and facial work, whose quality is matched with their haircuts:

San Jose City College Cosmetology Department - San Jose, CA

Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM

13 posts, read 46,638 times
I'm a guy and I pay $8 for a haircut at one of those Asian salons.

Walk-ins welcome.

No fuss, no muss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose