U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

Can someone pls help explain the major difference between the private school and public school, apart from the expense. How is the curriculum? Does private school overburden the kid ?

Thanks for advise in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,637,218 times
Personally, I think that private school provides more of a well rounded experience for students than some of the top public schools in the Silicon Valley. Many of the top public schools are heavily Asian, which means they are very strong academically, but are sort of known as test mills. Many of the top private schools tend to create more well rounded, polished students and I think this better prepares students to be successful in the professional area.

A downside I see with private schools (aside from price) would be the religious nature of some of them. You are required to take religion classes at some of the Catholic schools. While it may be interesting to learn from a historical perspective, the diversity of the Silicon Valley means that these values may not align to those of every household.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,890 times
I have just started to search about the schools. What are some of the good links to learn more about the schools.
Also, to name a few could you tell me what are the good private schools in Saratoga, Almaden valley, West San Jose Area ?

Thanks...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,164,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaR View Post
I have just started to search about the schools. What are some of the good links to learn more about the schools.
Also, to name a few could you tell me what are the good private schools in Saratoga, Almaden valley, West San Jose Area ?

Thanks...
The Harker School and it's not cheap!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM

3,480 posts, read 9,164,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
A downside I see with private schools (aside from price) would be the religious nature of some of them. You are required to take religion classes at some of the Catholic schools. While it may be interesting to learn from a historical perspective, the diversity of the Silicon Valley means that these values may not align to those of every household.
Why are religious teachings a "downside"? If the religious nature of a Catholic schools doesn't align with your beliefs, then don't send your children there. What were you expecting from private Catholic schools?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 631,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Why are religious teachings a "downside"? If the religious nature of a Catholic schools doesn't align with your beliefs, then don't send your children there. What were you expecting from private Catholic schools?
I think the idea is that some of the biggest names in private education in the south Bay are also religious institutions. If you don't want your child to receive a religious education, that seriously limits choice.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,637,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Well, as someone with a Jewish background, who's beliefs slant towards the agnostic/atheist side, I have issues in teaching my child in a manner, which I consider brainwashing. At the same time, I'd like the option to send my child to a top private prep school for other reasons I've stated.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM

807 posts, read 551,739 times
Most of the catholic schools that I know about will not force a child to take religious classes if the parents don't want their child to take said classes. I know of several schools where "We are Jewish and don't want our children to take Catholic religious classes" gets the kid out of the religious classes.

Of course, it also makes the kid "different" from everybody else.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM

5,668 posts, read 10,262,718 times
Private education is not worth the cost until high school.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 PM

21 posts, read 19,079 times
The best website I have used is greatschools.org. It doesn't give a rating for private schools, but can help you understand what schools are available in a location. The parent reviews are helpful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose