Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We're still waiting for responses from the "San Jose sucks, there's nowhere to go and nothing to do" crowd. They're lurking...
I guess it's relative. I live in Pleasanton which is a terrific place to live, but I love going to San Jose ( 30 mile drive) because to me it's so alive at night. The variety of locals and eateries is more than enough to keep me busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Original Joe's is an "institution" downtown. I totally agree that the Bank lounge on Big Basin in nearby Saratoga has that relaxed vibe and is welcoming to all.

One of my favorite concert venues anywhere is the Mountain Winery in Saratoga. If you had to select one thing in the San Jose area to do for a visiting friend or relative (outside of perhaps a Sharks game for hockey fans), that would be it!

One of the best pizza places is Tony and Alba's with a few different locations. They expanded from the original Mountain View location. I also love Grande Pizzeria near the San Jose State campus...brings back memories of those college days from the 80's. I need to get back there the next time I'm in San Jose. Amato's in Almaden Valley is pretty good, too.

I love Hobee's and especially their breakfasts. I believe there is still one in north San Jose and another in nearby Los Gatos. I can't remember if the old Town and Country location is still there after Santana Row was built.

I think the trail along Los Gatos Creek is nice. It extends from the Willow Glen area to Los Gatos' Vasona Lake Park.

Lincoln Avenue is definitely a gem, especially considering that most suburban streets are not very walkable.

The Hayes Mansion is also a worthwhile place to go and there is an adjacent park with a trail and tennis courts.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
L' Papillon on Saratoga Ave.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

One of my favorite concert venues anywhere is the Mountain Winery in Saratoga. If you had to select one thing in the San Jose area to do for a visiting friend or relative (outside of perhaps a Sharks game for hockey fans), that would be it!
Or Villa Montalvo:

Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Quote:
Original Joe's is an "institution" downtown. I totally agree that the Bank lounge on Big Basin in nearby Saratoga has that relaxed vibe and is welcoming to all.

One of the best pizza places is Tony and Alba's with a few different locations. They expanded from the original Mountain View location. I also love Grande Pizzeria near the San Jose State campus...brings back memories of those college days from the 80's. I need to get back there the next time I'm in San Jose. Amato's in Almaden Valley is pretty good, too.

I love Hobee's and especially their breakfasts. I believe there is still one in north San Jose and another in nearby Los Gatos. I can't remember if the old Town and Country location is still there after Santana Row was built.

I think the trail along Los Gatos Creek is nice. It extends from the Willow Glen area to Los Gatos' Vasona Lake Park.

Lincoln Avenue is definitely a gem, especially considering that most suburban streets are not very walkable.

The Hayes Mansion is also a worthwhile place to go and there is an adjacent park with a trail and tennis courts.
Real good pizza there.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:11 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
I forgot to praise my alma mater San Jose State on their 10-2 football season and bowl victory in the last post. Hope the success continues!!

Old 02-16-2013, 03:17 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,977 times
Quote:
I forgot to praise my alma mater San Jose State on their 10-2 football season and bowl victory in the last post. Hope the success continues!!
You forgot about the bowl win, 11-2 actually. They should be successful next year (probably not 11 wins, but compete for a bowl game) as their very good QB is returning. They will be facing stiffer competition next year too.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
East Lake Seafood Restaurant - east side Hong Kong style institution with amazing quality. In mid-remodel right now.

Taste of New York - some of the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Funky Stevens Creek location next to a blues bar, parking is a pain.

Falafel's Drive-In - just thinking about it makes me hungry. Their hummus is so good.

Unfortunately, the Race Street Fish Market is no more, and so the restaurant is on its last legs as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
I'm surprised I haven't seen Amato's Cheesesteaks on Saratoga Ave. mentioned yet. I'm not from Philadelphia, but I think their cheesesteak sandwiches are delish! Order them with their smothered cheese fries and you're in heart attack heaven!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
That's funny. My friend and I went to Amato's with high hopes but were both pretty dissapointed. Not much taste, but big portions though. Maybe we just don't know good cheesesteaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose